Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Track days

Old 10-10-2004, 09:14 PM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track days

I checked the Shannonville site, if its correct, ( or maybe they're not booking yet ) all of next year is wide open.

Cost is 3640 for a weekday, full track.. / 15 guys thats about 240 each.. so a little more then the Saab school..

Evenings, which I don't like much is 1100 for 2 hours.

I'm thinking 4-5 events over the year, maybe we can try some other tracks.. rumour has it Calaboogie will be open too.

I'm trying to think of what other expenses there may be, we can all take turns martialing, ambulance is a cell call away. Buy lunch obviously, what else would there be?

Old 10-10-2004, 09:23 PM

hire a photographer...
Old 10-10-2004, 09:25 PM
Former Moderator

heh I knew I was forgetting something!
Old 10-11-2004, 06:19 AM

For all of Shannonville, you'll be able to get around 25 cars running a 100%, 50 cars running 50% of the day. I doubt anyone would want to run more than 4 actual track hours during the day. If you have it the entire day, think about running Nelson/Fabi config, then Full track config, then Pro track config for variety during the day.

At a minimum, you want a pit lane flagger to let guys out and limit the people on course. He could be also the guy to black or red flag the course for any serious incidents. More guys at the flagging stations with radios would be nice, but ultimately it requires that the drivers look ahead and don't follow real close and let people pass. You could run it like a solo, where non running drivers do flagging duty.

As an orginizer, make sure you have a waiver to sign. If you want to really cover your ass there is liablity insurance and on site ambulance services. There is event insurance you can get through CASC as a reconized car club, but they require the full safety stuff in place. I think Shannoville will supply the tow vehicle and track sweeper.

BBQ at the track is nice. Shannonville has that oil drum barbeque.

Oh yeah, to make it non-insurable, it would be nice to get a timer or timing device for personal improvement.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll bring the Hooter's Girl for the wash n wax afterwards
Old 10-11-2004, 01:56 PM

Are we going with instructors or just on our own?

If we go with instructors, they would need to be paid or just give them track time.

Personally, I would like to keep the numbers down and pay a little extra money for more space on the track.

I believe Cayuga (TMP) is having noise problems as the Apex event was cancelled...there is always Mosport DDT - that is a smaller track but also good and also closeby.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:27 PM
Former Moderator

Vince and I talked to a bunch of instructers on Friday, and they were all willing to help us out.. similar to Saab, they just get to run the track for free. I know a few of us are cool with out instructers but I think its good that we set it up, so the less experienced guys can come with out feeling pressure, and get to learn at the same time..

We could even run some clinics during the day as well.. I'd love to repeat what Peter was telling us about how to spin off the track, so simple, yet didn't really occur to me.

another thing from last year I really liked was splitting the track into two and going through it turn by turn.. he was out there pointing at this and that around the corners, and it went a long way to increasing my speed. Little things like that, that we can control

I too would like the numbers down, but as Steve says, you're not going to lap for hours straight, I won't at least, I think 2 run groups, even 3 if we had to would be alright, Its fun to watch others on the track too.

15-20 guys would cover just us, and no need to open it up to others unless the price to get in affects the turnout.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:01 PM

I know a bunch of instructor level guys from the MCO too, if you really need extras. I also can supply some non-idiot real racers and lappers that are always eager to get track time.

Clincs that are no-brainers, brake fluid bleeding, brake pad changing. It would be cool to have someone with a pyrometer to do tire temp readings to get the right tire pressures for people. You might want to get a hold of extra helmets for real newbies.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:58 PM
Former Moderator

Depending on what car I pick up this winter I might be interested in joining in this....
Old 10-11-2004, 05:12 PM

screw it guys, let's go for the cheese and rent Mosport (full track)

It's SO worth it. Makes Shannonville feel like a go cart track.

Mike, let's talk about it. The 3 days I ran there this year were organized privately, so I can get details on how and how much.

Quick Reply: Track days