Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Tire changes coming back to F1?

Old 10-07-2005, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ITR Racer,Oct 7 2005, 10:14 AM
I'm sick and tired, pardon the pun, of hearing about the tires being the result of a slow or fast race car.
100%!

One control tire goes to ALL the teams, then build the best car they can around it.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by matrix,Oct 7 2005, 12:02 PM
One control tire goes to ALL the teams, then build the best car they can around it.

for a guy who is against the one tire rule...you sure are contradicting yourself.

Old 10-07-2005, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by PLYRS 3,Oct 7 2005, 10:07 AM
in hindsight, we know the answer, but do you think it was pre-determined that bridgestone wouldn't be ready/competitive with a long-life tire?
I think they knew that having 1 team dominate for so long hurt the sport (in thier opinion).

I think they knew they had to do something to change this.

I think they knew that 1 competetive team could not collect enough data to produce a tire competitive to another tire run on 4 or 5 competitive teams.

I think they knew that having on 1 competetive team (Ferrari) on Bridgestones would hurt Ferrari.

I think they achieved thier goal.

All that said, it's water under the bridge, but to pass it off as being safer???? And that running faster on a single set of tires is safer than running slower on multiple sets of tires it pure ....
Old 10-07-2005, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by PLYRS 3,Oct 7 2005, 11:06 AM

for a guy who is against the one tire rule...you sure are contradicting yourself.

Sorry, your reading that wrong...one tire formula, multiple tires made of that formula goes to all teams.

I thought you could see what I was INFERRING...
Old 10-07-2005, 08:16 AM

ok.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by matrix,Oct 7 2005, 12:11 PM
I think they knew that having 1 team dominate for so long hurt the sport (in thier opinion).

I think they knew they had to do something to change this.

I think they knew that 1 competetive team could not collect enough data to produce a tire competitive to another tire run on 4 or 5 competitive teams.

I think they knew that having on 1 competetive team (Ferrari) on Bridgestones would hurt Ferrari.

I think they achieved thier goal.

All that said, it's water under the bridge, but to pass it off as being safer???? And that running faster on a single set of tires is safer than running slower on multiple sets of tires it pure ....
but that was the case when F was winning for 5-6 years straight....tires played a role in that.

why would it be different "now"?

development is development.....
Old 10-07-2005, 08:19 AM

Because it wasn't a case of DEVELOPMENT, it was a case of SLOWING one team down so others could catch up....
Old 10-07-2005, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by matrix,Oct 7 2005, 11:19 AM
Because it wasn't a case of DEVELOPMENT, it was a case of SLOWING one team down so others could catch up....
Well, the laws of diminishing returns were bound to strike at Ferrari eventually...the car was perfect for so many years, they could only slow down after that many years at the top. Factor in the fact they lost key personnel to other teams and the writing was on the wall. It's part of the natural cycle of any sport IMO. The FIA didn't force other teams to abandon Bridgestone; the teams did it themselves because they felt the tires were optimized for Ferrari and noone else.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:36 AM

I agree about the laws of diminishing returns and I absolutely agree that the other teams need to catch up...

I understand your point about Bridgestone and agree. But why did they not then put in a control tire instead of the current rule allowing no tire changes?

If they truly wanted to make it "fair" to all teams from a tire perspective - give them all the same tire - does that make sense?
Old 10-07-2005, 08:38 AM

Michelin has a contract with the FIA to supply tires for x number of years. Both Michelin and Bridgestone have spent considerable money to one-up the other...the FIA stepping in over a winter to tell them that only a control tyre can be used, making all their R&D worthless, would surely cause a huge uproar. I'm sure that although we're not privy to it, there must be huge penalties against the FIA in the contracts if that were to happen.

Quick Reply: Tire changes coming back to F1?