Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Thoughts on Stolen S's

Old 05-11-2009, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on Stolen S's

With the recent events I notice some false senses of security, misunderstandings, and in some cases people seem "helpless". So I am sharing my THOUGHTS, to take as you will.

First of all, I'd like to say I do believe having an alarm is a good idea - which is why our cars come with one. I do believe using a steering wheel club device is a good idea. I do firmly believe that making ur car harder to steal makes it less likely to be stolen.

First of all, having a proximity sensor & a Clifford before I'll chime in some thoughts.
- A proximity sensor is a cry wolf story. The proximity sensor will either a) be too sensitive, or b) not sensitive enough that its useless. If it's too sensitive when it does go off, you'll just ignore it. If its not sensitive enough, it's useless. If a theif smashes ur window, a proximity sensor is not going to stop him. If he has a key its not going to stop him.

- Our cars already have alarms, or noise makers from the factory to make noise. When you hear an alarm outside do you even turn around? If you do, would you approach them? Most wouldn't, so why do people get a false sense of security from alarms? Alarms do nothing more than make noise, which our cars already do with the factory system.

I must say however, the exception is an alarm with a kill switch. Does your alarm have a kill switch - believe it or not MOST do not. If they do, it is an add on feature. Make sure you get this feature. If you do get this feature, make sure your car will still start if you have "alarm" problems. If your installer says "you can just unplug the unit" and it'll bypass the killswitch to drive it........ so can the theives and they know it.

Furthermore, in the above situation if your alarm does have a killswitch make sure the killswitch works if the alarm is disconnected. Once theives hear an aftermarket alarm guess what they're going after first? thats right - the alarm.

Truth of the matter is, I firmly believe car thieves already know all about your car before they steal it.They know if you use an alarm, they know if you use a club on your steering wheel. In some cases, they already have the VIN a day before they steal your car.

So how can we stop them?
I believe we need to understand what they're doing.

I'm going to mention how I BELIEVE they are stealing our cars so that WE AS OWNERS can learn how to prevent it.

A couple ways:
1) remove ECU & switch it with an ECU of a car they have keys to
2) parking brake method
3) get your VIN and duplicate keys
4) tow it (least likely, but mentionable)

How to prevent it..... KILLSWITCH / LOJACK / BOOMERANG

A killswitch will 100% prevent 1, 2, and 3. (unless they find it, but that wont' happen b/c you won't tell a SOUL and you're not going to be a dumbass and put it beside the starter button.

A few types of kill switches....
1) Basic switch on/off type
2) Basic automotive relay on/off type

Relays, and or killswitches can cut a circuit many ways such as installing a switch or a relay to:
1) kill the ignition at the starter (no starting sound)
2) kill the ignition behind the push button start button (no starting sound)
3) "depress clutch" circuit needs to be closed in order to start a manual car (no starting sound)
4) fuel pump ground (just turns over but won't start)
5) Power/ground at ignition (just turns over but won't start)

If you do decide to do one of these things make sure you also install a backup. Meaning regardless of what you do above... if XXXX happens, it will always start.

for example,
1) if the cruise control is on... the ground to the fuel pump will always be grounded regardless of switch position.
2) if the lighter is plugged in, the car will always start as usual. (if we had one)

You can also be really creative and wire the above things with a relay to another device.... something like:

1) the push button start will only work if the cruise control is on
2) the push button start will only work if the hazards are on
3) the push button start will only work if the drivers side seatbelt is on (there's a curcuit there)

If your car does get stolen. Boomerang or LoJack is your only hope. (Use the Search if you don't know what those are)

I hope this helps. Again, I apologize for bringing forth some methods of how I think they're stealing our cars but I believe we must understand the methods if we are to prevent it from happening.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:57 PM

I must chime in a funny story...

I remember back in my good old days I was at Polazzo in Woodbridge in my newly purchased 96 GSX. The car had a nifty fuel cutoff killswitch installed.

So I was PIMPIN (LOL!) with my buddy with these 2 girls.... my parents were gone for the weekend (Yes, I know I am gay) and I was pumped cus I was gonna get some tail.

Well after the club my buddy, the two girls, and myself hopped into my car to go to my place to....
well.... WTF!!
my car wouldn't start... I WAS SOOOO PISSED but totally confused.
Shocked, annoyed etc, I told everyone to call cabs cus I couldn't drive. The girls decided to cab it home

Well we were just about home, and 35$ cab ride later when I remembered that I had taken the magnet out of the sunvisor (which closed the circuit) and put it in my glove box. Stupidly, I had not yet put my seatbelt on while I was trying to get it to start (which would have closed the circuit as a backup)

I immediately ordered the cabby to turn around and drive us back.. my buddy was like WTF MAN?? I told him not to worry - I had a plan...

Got in, replaced the magnet. Put on the seatbelt as reassurance, waiting a second (so the fuel pump could pressurize the system, and vroooom!!!) the sweet sound of exhaust out of my four inch tail pipe.

Needless to say - that was the only "tail" I brought home that night. Never made that mistake twice.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really good information here CanadianKid. I'm actually looking at a good method of a kill switch now. I'd also like to add that GPS Snitch is really good aswell. Lots of people use it and it's reliable.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:24 PM

Killswitch is super easy, and fun, to install.

I'm going to start hiding them all over in an attempt to make my startup sequence, similiar to that of a stealth bomber jet.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:22 PM

sorry I made a post in the wrong thread no idea how to delete it.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:05 AM

There are some clever ways to hide a kill switch.

I was in a car once you had to hold the drivers side power window switch up when turning the key.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone in the GTA needs to be extra careful, if that already hasn't sunk in.

There is a common link between all the people that lost thier cars lately, I believe this is more then random thief.

Good write-up Canadiankid!

Perhaps a writeup on how to add a killswitch to a OEM alarm with a parts list etc.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by iDomN8U,May 12 2009, 04:20 AM
Everyone in the GTA needs to be extra careful, if that already hasn't sunk in.

There is a common link between all the people that lost thier cars lately, I believe this is more then random thief.

Good write-up Canadiankid!

Perhaps a writeup on how to add a killswitch to a OEM alarm with a parts list etc.
When I had my Berlina stolen ... I believe the theif cut my roof open and basically lifted the handbrake and slowly pushed my car down the driveway.. then towing it on a flat bed..

My room is right above the driveway and i usually have my windows slightly jarred open so that it would seem someone was looking. Still did not deter the thief

I had a Compustar alarm and proximity as well. It did "####" all... lol

My thoughts are...

If a professional thief wants it.. there's no way in stopping him .. They don't want the car as a whole.. they want to chop them up so they'll do whatever it takes to quietly take the car....
Old 05-12-2009, 05:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those alarms arn't really a deterence for them, i think the only way is boomerag which im planning on getting this year. The theifs take your car and park it somewhere for the night, and if it's still there by morning they know boomerang isn't on it and they bring it back to their chop shops.

I wish we could organize some bait cars and catch them in the act. I remember my cousin telling me about a guy that borke into cars at parties in jamaica and stole the stereos. The ppl set up bait cars and caught him, an angry mob chased him and stoned him to death, police didn't charge anyone lol.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing like learning your lesson "the hard way" because you missed out on tail. Haha! good story CanadianKid

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Stolen S's