Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Subaru BRZ

Old 02-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Subaru BRZ

I actually really like it,and I dont get excited by too many cars. Maybe its the fact that its a new affordable rwd car offered by a Japanese maker. Was one of the few cars I was excited about at the autoshow, even more so than the NSX concept.

I like the overall design of the car, (Lexus LFA, tiburon, and z4 rear is what comes to mind) a smaller looking car, low hood line which is such a rarity these days, purpose built, low weight, low CG, Z4 tails (hmmm ), was surprised to see no AWD offering as of right now from Subaru. Nothing to gimmicky (aside from piping engine noise into the cabin )

I think it will be a hit, if they can keep the cost somewhat in check. Thoughts...
Old 02-22-2012, 10:39 AM

Received 3,774 Likes on 2,661 Posts

I like it, the car seems to have everything you need in terms of a decent sports car, it doesn't have enough power for my preferences to warrant me considering it, but it likely satisfies what most people are looking for in that category of vehicle class. It should prove to be a popular car.

In terms of my own situation I would have to get rid of the S2000 to get that car , so as a replacement vehicle I don't have any desire to change into something liek that, but I think they have done a great job with the vehicle for their target market. One more coffin nail in the Honda Civic line up.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

While the idea of driving a new car and platform is great, I agree that I cant justify this as a 2nd vehicle or to ever replace the S with. If they can still appeal to people who actually want sports car driving dynamics, purists - with the lack of AWD leads me to believe thats what they are trying to do. I guess part of the excitement is that Honda may answer with something equally cool and innovative.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-22-2012, 12:19 PM

yeah this looks pretty good. the scion fr-s is the same thing but i believe it will be priced a bit lower and offer less options.

I wouldnt replace my S with this, but i would defiantly choose this over a civic any day
Old 02-22-2012, 12:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my car buddies on facebook mentioned (I think the fr-s) had no camber adjustment... Just heresay, anyone know though?
Old 02-22-2012, 02:07 PM

Im curious to see how it makes out since Subaru is out of their element (4 door, AWD). I do like the look and feel it has great potential.

However, I think it is REALLY stupid that Toyota and Subaru are selling practically the same car!
Old 02-22-2012, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by CR EH
Im curious to see how it makes out since Subaru is out of their element (4 door, AWD). I do like the look and feel it has great potential.

However, I think it is REALLY stupid that Toyota and Subaru are selling practically the same car!
Very much agree with this.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:48 PM

Not really a fan of the car too much, the hype built up for the car was insane then when they finally announced the final product I felt let down and underwhelmed. The styling got watered down way too much from the concept. I know I know, concept vehicles never look like the final product, but the one that scion released was more or less pretty viable to make body line wise with a less aggressive rear diffuser and normal sized brakes and wheels. The aggressive haunches of the car got neutered too heavily, and the power plant could have had a turbo option if somebody wanted to pay a bit more. The car was meant to compete with people cross shopping the Mustang V6, Genesis Coupe (which is a boosted 2.0 with 271 horsepower and 275 pound-feet of torque for 2013, all this from KOREA!?) and Camaro RS (V6) two of which offer 300hp+ and very good handling from factory at the same price point.

They could have taken the design to the next level but I feel they fell short even with Subaru designing the drive train who obviously knows how to produce reliable boosted boxer engines. Maybe next version will be better after all the girls looking for cute cars buy them for going to the mall. If I was looking for a new car this would not be it.

What we could have had:

What we actually got:

Old 02-23-2012, 05:46 AM

^ good point. im in the same boat. the initial prototype car got me excited to see something so hot with this layout. now that i see the finished product of both models, it's quite a letdown - i mean they could have made it a BIT more aggresive than it is now.

granted, the car sounds like fun to drive, hopefully it revs freely with only the power it has, and rwd will make it fun at least. interesting to see if it shifts as nice as a honda (prob not haha).

Quick Reply: Subaru BRZ