Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Storing for the winter

Old 09-28-2010, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storing for the winter

When you store your S2k for the winter, do you replace your summer wheels & tires with stock wheels and crappy tires?

I'm wondering if I leave my summer tires on the car for winter months, chances are its not good for them and might create flat spots?
Old 09-28-2010, 08:59 AM

If your that concerned just put the car up on stands. I have left my car over winter twice without and had no problems. Just make sure they have the right air pressure too.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:05 AM

Over inflate tires as CR EH mentioned...sit car under thick rug.........you'll be fine.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:21 AM

Why not just spend the $20 for a set of 4 jack stands and not have any worries at all.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Au...r.jsp?locale=en
Old 09-28-2010, 09:29 AM

I used to drive mine in the winter so now I park my car w/ the winters on (over inflated) and i put a plastic sheet under the car (minimize the condensation on the undercarriage as its exposed to the cold draft from the concrete).

Since my summer tires are dead, I may just get lazy and park on them as is.

I've heard both schools of though on the jack stands - it exposes the shock which may cause them to prematurely rust (if you use the jackpoints), but i've also heard people put the jackstands on the suspension arm (???) and keep the suspension compressed.

Neither of which I want to try out. Just sayin'...
Old 09-28-2010, 09:41 AM

last winter i left my car as is and put old pillows under each tire... moved the car slightly 3 times through the winter and everything was fine
Old 09-28-2010, 09:59 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Don't put the car on Jack stands especially if you leave the suspension hanging. Put your tire pressure to max of the tires recommendation. Some guys add hard foam insulation under each tire but it's not really needed. I park my car on 4 car dollies so I can shift the car around during the winter.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by hyper,Sep 28 2010, 12:29 PM
I used to drive mine in the winter so now I park my car w/ the winters on (over inflated) and i put a plastic sheet under the car (minimize the condensation on the undercarriage as its exposed to the cold draft from the concrete).

Since my summer tires are dead, I may just get lazy and park on them as is.

I've heard both schools of though on the jack stands - it exposes the shock which may cause them to prematurely rust (if you use the jackpoints), but i've also heard people put the jackstands on the suspension arm (???) and keep the suspension compressed.

Neither of which I want to try out. Just sayin'...
I would take advice from this guy, he knows what he's talking about.
Not to mention he's been on the site for nearly 9years. 9 winters means he would have seen and dealt with the consequences of his method if it were incorrect.

I personally just park the car and leave it be. I have done some work on the car over the past couple winters, but it pretty much stays put.

Oh, I stored the car on old corded track rubber last winter so no worries there.
But, the couple of winters before I just parked the car as is, didn't over inflate the tires and didn't take out the battery... or even fill the gas tank for that matter.
So I wouldn't worry about it IMHO
Old 09-28-2010, 12:16 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Does everyone store their S2k in their own garage, does anyone use a car storage service?

I was looking for reasonably priced self-serve car storage, I don't want to park my s2k in my condo garage because it's fairly damp with snow/etc in the winter
Old 09-28-2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by s2kobsession,Sep 28 2010, 10:12 AM
I would take advice from this guy, he knows what he's talking about.
Not to mention he's been on the site for nearly 9years. 9 winters means he would have seen and dealt with the consequences of his method if it were incorrect.

I personally just park the car and leave it be. I have done some work on the car over the past couple winters, but it pretty much stays put.

Oh, I stored the car on old corded track rubber last winter so no worries there.
But, the couple of winters before I just parked the car as is, didn't over inflate the tires and didn't take out the battery... or even fill the gas tank for that matter.
So I wouldn't worry about it IMHO
I just store mine too...
I do make it a point to fill the tank before I store it
put the car into reverse
and undid the latches
I also put a tarp underneath cause I heard it was good for it.

I don't take the battery out
I didn't inflate the tires..
but probably should.

It's quite amazing to park a car for 5 months... do nothing to it and then go to start it and it's like the day you stored it...

Quick Reply: Storing for the winter