Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Spring tune-up thread

Old 01-08-2010, 05:46 PM

Received 3,774 Likes on 2,661 Posts

I'm working on getting my hardtop installed right now as the primary project, but lots of little maintenance items being done as well.

I put in a new cabin filter, and a new Goodyear Gatorback serpentine belt this week. I cleaned my IAC valve this week too. I picked up a used low mile (3k) primary 02 sensor so I'm slapping that in soon to see if it lowers my emmissions reading.

I just replaced all of my dashboard and start button lightbulbs. I had about 5 bulbs burned out, so I decided to replace all of the bulbs at one time so I don't have to get into the dash again for a while. Did the entire dashboard, cruise switch, defrost switch and start button lights.

Sending out my AP1 OEM rims for powdercoating next week and putting on new BF Goodrich KDW's on all four corners.

I did all of the fluids when I bought the car a couple months ago. Starchland, when you refer to Honda MTF version 2, are you getting that in black bottles from local Honda dealers ?. I see in the U.S. they have green coloured bottles but the product numbers are identical. Last month I used Honda MTF and it came in black bottles.

Starchland, I'd highly recommend Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-110 differential fluid, it gives you better hot temp protection than SAE90, but is superior in cold weather flow which is important to lubricating the diff. You only use less than 1 quart, cost isn't a big factor, so go for the best quality you can get.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might upgrade the speakers

Just did the tran fluid before it went away, used GM Synchromesh FM, all the notchiness is gone!

Oil, cabin filter, detail,. Don't have many plans for the car this summer, just want to drive it. I put on the FIPK last year, sounds great, but it does get/stay warm, so might pipe in a snorkel to help feed it.
I want to find some ap2v3 non CR wheels eventually, but my SO2 are still mint, so wait for those to burn off.

And want to find some new floormats that cover the hump in front of the seat. Carpet is starting to fade.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

JFUSION: yes, im talking about the black bottles. from my research,the black bottles are mtf 2, the same stuff in the silver bottles found cross border. as long as it says advanced protection in yellow writing, your using the mtf 2. do you know what a bottle goes for at the dealership recently?

I will check out the diff fluid. What attracts me to the motul is seeming inability to shear (reading from uoas), which I hear is important for our hypoid cut gears which really can kill a fluid rather quickly. But my knowledge of fluid is somewhat limited but learning. So basically the 75-110 is a more flexible fluid and offers great high temp protection when it comes into operating temperature due to the fact its a 110 weight? for comparision purposes, what is the ideal "Viscosity at 100°C" for our diff (or 75w requirement)? somewhere around 15.0-17 cst?

g1000:

what speakers are you looking at? I think id go with the Alpine Type S thus far, was looking at the polk db somethings but the Alpine seem to bring in many happy customers. Also, have you thought about some sort of heat resistant coating for the FIPK box? or some custom heat shield. Surely an alternative can be found to the FIPK metal box?

and I hear you on the carpet...I just choose not to look there
Old 01-09-2010, 02:59 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

hey guys,

First thing im going to do is,

1. oil change + oil filer (motul)
2. tranny fluid (honda stuff)
3. brake fluid (motul)
4. diff fluid (redline)
5. slap on my mugen splitter
6. slap on side strakes
7. slap on wheels (hope to have by then)
8. wash n wax

etc.. im sure i left something out !
Old 01-10-2010, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by starchland,Jan 9 2010, 03:50 PM
JFUSION: yes, im talking about the black bottles. from my research,the black bottles are mtf 2, the same stuff in the silver bottles found cross border. as long as it says advanced protection in yellow writing, your using the mtf 2. do you know what a bottle goes for at the dealership recently?

I will check out the diff fluid. What attracts me to the motul is seeming inability to shear (reading from uoas), which I hear is important for our hypoid cut gears which really can kill a fluid rather quickly. But my knowledge of fluid is somewhat limited but learning. So basically the 75-110 is a more flexible fluid and offers great high temp protection when it comes into operating temperature due to the fact its a 110 weight? for comparision purposes, what is the ideal "Viscosity at 100°C" for our diff (or 75w requirement)? somewhere around 15.0-17 cst?

g1000:

what speakers are you looking at? I think id go with the Alpine Type S thus far, was looking at the polk db somethings but the Alpine seem to bring in many happy customers. Also, have you thought about some sort of heat resistant coating for the FIPK box? or some custom heat shield. Surely an alternative can be found to the FIPK metal box?

and I hear you on the carpet...I just choose not to look there
Motul is a good fluid also, not sue of the viscosity though. Honda originally spec'd SAE90 fluid for our cars which provides decent hot temp viscosity protection, but it can be a tad thick in cooler temps. The old SAE90 spec ranged from about 14 cst to 25 cst 100 degree viscosity range. Most 75w90's out there are in the range of 16 cst viscosity at 100 degrees, so the lower end of the spectrum. The Amsoil 75w-110 is about 20.4 cst at 100 degrees, so that puts it right in the mid to upper range of the old SAE90 spec, which I think is perfect, plus you get the the cold temp flow protection of 75w. It's the best of both worlds. They also have a 75w-140 fluid (25.7cst), it would provide pretty good protection in hot temps hard driving and against shearing issues too.

Here are some links.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/index.php?op...id=48&Itemid=55

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svt.aspx

What viscosity numbers do the Motul fluids have , I checked their website but I could not locate viscosity data. It'd be interesting to know.

I don't recall what I paid for Honda MTF wehn I bought it last month, might be about $10 a bottle IIRC. I'll have to check for the yellow wording on the bottles that I bought, not sure if they had it or not. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Looks like this http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3638/352316..._e743e5d235.jpg
will look into the higher weights. Any wor on if a thicker fluid woul affect efficiency?
Old 01-10-2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by starchland,Jan 10 2010, 10:33 AM
Looks like this http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3638/352316..._e743e5d235.jpg
will look into the higher weights. Any wor on if a thicker fluid woul affect efficiency?
ah yes my bottles look like those, good to know it is mtf2, I always wondered if I was getting it or if I was just getting some old stock as fewer people drive manuals these days, lol.

You have to expect that thicker fluids will reduce some efficiency but it is all relative. Compared to SAE90 a high quality true synthetic 75w-110 will likely be more efficienct overall. A 75w-110 will be slightly less efficient than a thinner 75w-90 - synthetic vs. synthetic, but probably more efficient than a conventional 75w-90 fluid. I'd guess that you are but probably talking much less than 1% efficiency bumbers, something you will never feel or likely measure. We've got small diffs with tiny sumps, a better reason to use the best fluid possible.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:29 PM

Come spring ill likely do a full wash, clay, wax & seal to start. Ill then judge based on the result if i need to use my polisher. I havent had to use it on the BB yet so im kinda nervous :/

Did my oil changes prior to storage so dont need to worry about that, and my mileage is still pretty low so wont have to worry about filters either (will likely double check that anyways).

I will also be replacing my speakers with full components and amp, im really excited to hear it with tweeters and amplified for the first time , as i just threw in some cheap Focal coaxial speakers last year that i had lying around.

Finally ill be going on a bit of a shopping spree for some track gear. I wanna get some shoes, helmet, and gloves. So far im thinking about the FS-15 Carbon from HJC...i have a little CF addiction haha
Old 01-10-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by CR EH,Jan 10 2010, 01:29 PM
Come spring ill likely do a full wash, clay, wax & seal to start. Ill then judge based on the result if i need to use my polisher. I havent had to use it on the BB yet so im kinda nervous :/

Did my oil changes prior to storage so dont need to worry about that, and my mileage is still pretty low so wont have to worry about filters either (will likely double check that anyways).

I will also be replacing my speakers with full components and amp, im really excited to hear it with tweeters and amplified for the first time , as i just threw in some cheap Focal coaxial speakers last year that i had lying around.

Finally ill be going on a bit of a shopping spree for some track gear. I wanna get some shoes, helmet, and gloves. So far im thinking about the FS-15 Carbon from HJC...i have a little CF addiction haha
nic pic, looks cool with the reflection like that.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:52 AM

^^

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Spring tune-up thread