Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Speeding

Old 07-17-2008, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regardless of the vehicle in front of you, the fact remains you were still speeding.

If you drive a car that women and car enthusiasts are going to notice more than other vehicles on the road it will probably stand out more to the police as well.

GL in court.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:54 PM

Doug I saw you a few days ago driving the Leguna at night...couldn't see me flashing you? Myself and Chris saw that guy with the US Suzuka Blue AP2 rolling around a few times.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:16 AM

You didn't get my point. Police officer are not allowed to write tickets in other police jurisdiction.

The OPP cannot write you a ticket if your speeding on city street but can pull you over and wait for the city police to write you one. a City cop can pull you over on the highway but cannot write you a ticket and they have to wait for OPP to write you one. It's the law
i work with a lot of police officers everyday, and have been on 400 series highways while a regional police service is charging the drivers and what not. you're right, metro/peel etc. don't operate on the highways/patrol them, but if they witness some ass hat aggressive driving/speeding or what not, they do have the right to stop and charge them...

Same as the OPP, they can charge you on regional roads. they are all police officers. they all go to the same police college and all represent ontario. trust me, they can all charge you no matter where you are.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:09 AM

yup, a cop can pull you over anywhere they darn well please, usually charge you too if they want (or at least detain you). all this 'jurisdiction' talk is b.s. - it only matters when you cross provincial borders or into the US obviously.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by revmatch,Jul 18 2008, 11:09 AM
yup, a cop can pull you over anywhere they darn well please, usually charge you too if they want (or at least detain you). all this 'jurisdiction' talk is b.s. - it only matters when you cross provincial borders or into the US obviously.
Found out today that it's true that the police can pull you anywhere u r but most of them don't because it's a pain in the butt for them.

If a police officer from Peel pull you over in Hamilton and charge you. The office must go to court on his own time because peel police station will not pay for your time in Hamilton.

Also non OPP officer doesn't force the law on the highway as a OPP officer might.

Glad to know tons of Cops to clear things up

Old 07-19-2008, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron19,Jul 18 2008, 10:16 AM
i work with a lot of police officers everyday, and have been on 400 series highways while a regional police service is charging the drivers and what not. you're right, metro/peel etc. don't operate on the highways/patrol them, but if they witness some ass hat aggressive driving/speeding or what not, they do have the right to stop and charge them...

Same as the OPP, they can charge you on regional roads. they are all police officers. they all go to the same police college and all represent ontario. trust me, they can all charge you no matter where you are.
So I'm assuming your joining the police force?
Old 07-19-2008, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rev_2_8k,Jul 17 2008, 09:54 PM
Doug I saw you a few days ago driving the Leguna at night...couldn't see me flashing you? Myself and Chris saw that guy with the US Suzuka Blue AP2 rolling around a few times.
Sorry, no I didn't see you.
Pretty intense looking left, right, front, back & up & down for cops now.

Been putting some major seat time in, what a great car.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by PearlwhiteS2k,Jul 17 2008, 11:58 AM
You didn't get my point. Police officer are not allowed to write tickets in other police jurisdiction.

The OPP cannot write you a ticket if your speeding on city street but can pull you over and wait for the city police to write you one. a City cop can pull you over on the highway but cannot write you a ticket and they have to wait for OPP to write you one. It's the law.
As other ppl have stated I have no idea where you are getting your information but you are dead wrong. All police services have authority throughout Ontario. The RCMP has authority throughout Canada. So if he were up there, a Toronto copper could give you a ticket in Thunder Bay.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by PearlwhiteS2k,Jul 19 2008, 08:08 PM
So I'm assuming your joining the police force?
haha no, i'm a paramedic for the air ambulance.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by PearlwhiteS2k,Jul 17 2008, 01:27 AM
If the court drops it to a 70 bucks ticket. You shouldn't lose any points. Anything over $100 you get 2 points.
Bud, I am not trying to rip you to shreds here but you're posting a lot of misinformed information.

Points are based on the violation. You can find it listed in the HTA or on the Ministry website. In terms of speeding anything 15km over the limit is 2 points or more. Hence why in court what normally happens is ppl plead down to 10 or 15 over the limit. The fines for speeding are related to whatever you get convicted of, at least intially. For every km over the limit it's 15 bucks or something like that. The JP can adjust the amount in court but has no power to remove demerit points.

Quick Reply: Speeding