Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Speeding

Old 07-17-2008, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zed, if you want a contact for a traffic ticket fighter let me know. I've used the same one a couple times and he's gotten me off of a careless driving offense which would have raised my insurance premiums $500+ a month.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by WhyZed,Jul 16 2008, 01:28 PM
Anyone ever fought one and won but not hiring an excopper?
just book a court date.

2 months b4 the date, fill out a request for disclourse notes form to have the cop send you his notes for your case.

heres what your banking for:
1. he doesn't show up in court - thrown out
2. he doesn't send you the notes - thrown out
3. court date is over a year from your offeence - 95% thrown out

I've gotten off 3 tickets from point 2 alone and probably konw over 10 tickets throw out because of point 2. Pretty much a slam dunk if it was a basic speeding ticket.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by PearlwhiteS2k,Jul 16 2008, 08:15 PM
Just to let you know, cops do show up in court. I fought a no front plate before and sure enough he was there.

The reason he pulled you over instead of the other guy is that he can't write a ticket to someone that's on the highway. It's out of his policing but you stayed on the city and he has the right to write you one. Only thing he could have done was to pull the guy over wait for a OPP to write him a ticket.

When your speeding, it's actually up to the cop who he wants to pull over and your lucky that he didn't throw other shit on u. Never call a cop a dick head or ass. He's more lucky to charge you for other shit.

Anything over 15km a hour your asking for trouble. Most cop will not pull you over unless your over 15 some won't even pull u over unless your doing over 20+

BTW cops do get paid to go to court. If you do take it to court by yourself your most likely not going to win but you can pay a smaller fine instead.
any police officer can and has the right to pull you over for any offence on any road in ontario. peel/metro/halton etc. can pull you over on any 400 series highway, and any OPP can pull you over in another regional police's duristiction. they are a police officer of ontario regardless.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aaron19,Jul 17 2008, 10:29 AM
any police officer can and has the right to pull you over for any offence on any road in ontario. peel/metro/halton etc. can pull you over on any 400 series highway, and any OPP can pull you over in another regional police's duristiction. they are a police officer of ontario regardless.
Yea, all of that's true. The only thing that comes into play is which one of these officers can ticket you for what? OPP = highway, MTO = streets...not to mention if the opposite pulls you over, they can always call the other patrol officers to come and write you a ticket.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron19,Jul 17 2008, 07:29 AM
any police officer can and has the right to pull you over for any offence on any road in ontario. peel/metro/halton etc. can pull you over on any 400 series highway, and any OPP can pull you over in another regional police's jurisdiction. they are a police officer of ontario regardless.
You didn't get my point. Police officer are not allowed to write tickets in other police jurisdiction.

The OPP cannot write you a ticket if your speeding on city street but can pull you over and wait for the city police to write you one. a City cop can pull you over on the highway but cannot write you a ticket and they have to wait for OPP to write you one. It's the law.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by PearlwhiteS2k,Jul 17 2008, 11:58 AM
You didn't get my point. Police officer are not allowed to write tickets in other police jurisdiction.

The OPP cannot write you a ticket if your speeding on city street but can pull you over and wait for the city police to write you one. a City cop can pull you over on the highway but cannot write you a ticket and they have to wait for OPP to write you one. It's the law.
How would that work though?

I mean... if a regional cop pulls you over on the 401 and calls the opp to come write you a ticket, the one writing the ticket hasnt' actually seen you commit the offense. The one who did see you commit the offense is out of his jurisdiction when/where he saw you so what happens? If he isn't allow to police that area, his eyewitness evidence shouldn't be evidence should it?
Old 07-17-2008, 10:15 AM

I heard this too... but I think it might be one of those traffic myths.
I couldn't imagine the craziness if it actually did go to court.

I could be totally wrong....
Anyone have a friend that's a cop that can shed light on this?
Old 07-17-2008, 12:04 PM

I'll ask some cops OPP and city police when they come in and order food =)
Old 07-17-2008, 12:14 PM

You own a restaurant?
or work at one?
Old 07-17-2008, 12:26 PM

Parents restaurant. Tons of my customers are OPP and Brantford Police.

Quick Reply: Speeding