Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Speeding

Old 07-16-2008, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should consider yourself lucky. My friend ran into a simular situation and the cop treated it as an illegal street race and took away his car for a week.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:28 PM

pearlwhite, most of what you said is true. The reason he didn't write pull over the other car isn't really because ramps are considered the highway and the speed limit is actually that of the hwy (100km's). yellow signs are suggested speeds.

Regardless if it's out of his policing area, if he thought there was street racing both cars would have been pulled over. An officer gets a bigger pat on the back for charging street racing tickets than he does for 15+ over the limit. He must not have seen the other car.

Your right, it is up to the cop who he pulls over, but that makes for a great defense in court. You can simply argue that just because a car is traveling beside you doesn't mean that you in particular was the one speeding. Depending on the distance from radar to you makes or breaks this argument.

I probably wouldn't call a cop a dick or an ass lol... but anything 15+km's over the speed limit is where you get pulled over. Luckily, cops don't set up radar in the twisties around here

btw, I still have your remote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=PearlwhiteS2k,Jul 16 2008, 08:15 PM] Just to let you know, cops do show up in court. I fought a no front plate before and sure enough he was there.

The reason he pulled you over instead of the other guy is that he can't write a ticket to someone that's on the highway. It's out of his policing but you stayed on the city and he has the right to write you one. Only thing he could have done
Old 07-16-2008, 06:35 PM

I would be more worried about points than that 126. I'm assuming it's 2 points. If he will drop those and just issue a citation, go for it.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:32 PM

Sorry to hear about that man, i would definetly fight the ticket, near 100% of the time they will at least reduce it for you. And if you want to stand up in court against it be sure to ask if he had tested his radar recently to ensure it was reliably accurate, and state that he most likely caught the other vehicle on radar when he continously sped up to try and make you race (which you werent of course ).

I also had a recent experience with a not-so-friendly officer and i feel i can post it on this forum because it was when i was on my way to see my S2 down in Tampa.

I didnt get a speeding ticket (because i wasnt speeding) but he did write me up a careless driving :/

Im actually curius to hear a bunch of you guys opinions on this case so here goes..

I was approaching a RED honda prelude from behind in the fast lane going about 115-120 km/h. I started approaching him quickly because he was travelling about 95-100 km/h. I proceeded to flash my highbeams at him indicating he should move out of the fast lane but with no result i cut around him (semi-close) and upon this manouver i noticed a police car 2 lanes over and about 2 car lengths ahead. I slowed my speed to be equal speed with the officer and changed lanes back into the fast lane. Of course he then proceeded to pull me over 4 lanes to the right...

Upon asking me why he had pulled me over and me giving him the common "i dont know?". He stated that i had cut off the BLACK sunfire when going around that WHITE car causing him to break and potentially causing an accident, and therefore im giving you a careless driving.

After i asked him to please repeat what he said he stated "if you want me to write up the entire report it will take 30 minutes and i dont want to waste anymore of your time, please sign here.."

Now a few things dont make sense to me here and perhaps someone can come up with some conclusions other than what i have.

1- The officer was colour blind and imagines things. As i already mentioned i went around a RED car not a WHITE car, and there was NO black sunfire around.
2- The officer can somehow judge distance out of his side mirror regardless of it stating "objects in mirror are closer than they appear". As well as him being able to accuratly judge what exactly happened 2 car lenghts to the left-rear and seeing brake lights being the so called "black sunfire" which would have been over 3 car lenghts BEHIND him.
3- The officer enjoys harrassing tuner cars (00 Integra with very noticeable body/performance mods) and young males with Ontario plates.

Anyones opinions would be appreciated cuz as of right now i refuse to pay this ticket. One because a month after the ticket was issued they still did not have it on file and suggested "calling back later". Two because they would not let me talk to anyone about it and said i had to travel all the way to Tennesse and appear in court to fight it. Three because iv heard careless in the states is only a minor ticket and does not transfer to your canadian record.

P.S- did i mention i got pulled over again in the same state less than an hour after while my buddy was driving. He was accused of "following to close", and then asked about 20 questions outside the car...no ticket issued
Old 07-16-2008, 10:17 PM

Your dealing with American law lol. Good luck with this.

I know a few people that has friends in the US that are police and I can tell you that the American way of policing is ****ing hardcore. You shouldn't even had talked back to a US officer lol. I give you respect for talking back to him lmao.

If your not planning to go back into the US, you can skip it =). Once you pay it your insurance company will know and it'll jack up. Other wise just pay it. Is it worth your time going back and forth fighting it? You'll probably end up in court 2-4 times before it'll be over.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:21 PM

Here's a little tip for you guys. If you ever get pulled over doing 50km a hour by yourself with no cars around you and the officer writes you up for street racing/ stunt driving. Fight that it court, it'll get dropped.

Also if your going to speed make sure you check your rear view mirrors and pay attention. Most of the time you get caught speeding it's because your not paying attention.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by WhyZed,Jul 16 2008, 06:32 PM
I do consider myself lucky because I know that he has the provincial given right to fine or charge me with as it is up to his discretion.

It did piss me off at the time tho because the other car was really trying to drag me into a race & I was having no part of it. If the cop was actually watching so intently he clearly would have seen that.
Oh well, no need crying over spilt milk.

So, if I try to fight it, best case is I might get the fine of $126.00 reduced?
If the court drops it to a 70 bucks ticket. You shouldn't lose any points. Anything over $100 you get 2 points.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

16 km/h over is 2 point.

You now have a extra option when fighting tickets in Ontario (implemented in other provinces as well) where you are able to contest the ticket (this isn't talking to the Justice of the Peace) and that person has the authority to reduce the ticket, if you're not happy you can then go infront of a judge and dispute the ticket.

Before it was guilty, not guilty, plead guilty with explaination (justice of the peace, they will only give you extra time to pay) and you can't see a judge if your not happy.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

16kph over is 3 pts last time i got a ticket... anything 29 and over is 4 pts.

i'll never pay another ticket again now though. i've fought many, but the last one, i paid someone else to do it and for the $ you pay, it is worth it because you don't have to do anything, no time off work for a court date, etc. i haven't been pulled over in about 4 years now though so i guess i'm slowing down in my old age.

Quick Reply: Speeding