Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Southern Ontario For sale Section

Old 01-22-2013, 11:37 PM
Spotter
Community Organizer

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

^ Agreed, a good 95% of my stuff has come from the US / US retailers

I don't have an issue shipping as long as people get that shipping is going to cost them
Old 01-23-2013, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im just shipping shy
Old 02-09-2013, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kryptonite
^ Agreed, a good 95% of my stuff has come from the US / US retailers

I don't have an issue shipping as long as people get that shipping is going to cost them
What do you pay in duties/taxes on the stated value of items shipped from the US? Looking at importing a FI kit but don't want to get killed on duties/taxes?
Old 02-09-2013, 03:25 AM
Spotter
Community Organizer

Depends on what the seller marks the items as. Electronics, car accessories, tools, I get charged around the 10-15% number in taxes and duties all in.
To avoid brokerage fees, only use USPS, the cost to ship will be marginally higher but you save in the end.

With an FI kit, its going to be heavy. I'd recommend looking into shipping it to Buffalo and then going and picking it up from there.

Your other option and something that I don't really recommend would be to devalue the kit. If you're buying it used, talk to the seller, if new, sometimes the vendor will be willing to mark it down to cost.

To give you an idea of what I've paid on different items

AEM EMS - (marked as car electronics)Listed value on package - $500, paid $73 in duties shipped via USPS

Project Kic lug nuts - (marked as tools)Listed value on package $80 - no duties, shipped via USPS

Aeromotive fuel pump - (marked as car accessories) Listed value $169 - $18 dollars in duties via USPS

The worst one Ive had was getting charged some 40 odd dollars in duties for rays valve stem caps.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:27 AM

Depends on what the seller marks the items as. Electronics, car accessories, tools, I get charged around the 10-15% number in taxes and duties all in.
To avoid brokerage fees, only use USPS, the cost to ship will be marginally higher but you save in the end.

With an FI kit, its going to be heavy. I'd recommend looking into shipping it to Buffalo and then going and picking it up from there.

Your other option and something that I don't really recommend would be to devalue the kit. If you're buying it used, talk to the seller, if new, sometimes the vendor will be willing to mark it down to cost.

To give you an idea of what I've paid on different items

AEM EMS - (marked as car electronics)Listed value on package - $500, paid $73 in duties shipped via USPS

Project Kic lug nuts - (marked as tools)Listed value on package $80 - no duties, shipped via USPS

Aeromotive fuel pump - (marked as car accessories) Listed value $169 - $18 dollars in duties via USPS

The worst one Ive had was getting charged some 40 odd dollars in duties for rays valve stem caps.
Holy crap, valve stem caps only cost about 20 bucks for 4 of them. U got raped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-09-2013, 06:07 AM
Spotter
Community Organizer

I wrote out a giant ass complaint to Fedex telling them that I wouldn't pay that shit. was 16 dollars shipped for the caps. They ended up sending my file to some collection agency and I just caved to get them to stop bothering me.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:26 AM

I wrote out a giant ass complaint to Fedex telling them that I wouldn't pay that shit. was 16 dollars shipped for the caps. They ended up sending my file to some collection agency and I just caved to get them to stop bothering me.
I've found that FedEx charges the highest brokerage fees out of the 3 options. Not only are they high, they're ridiculous too. Always insist a seller uses USPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-09-2013, 03:07 PM
Spotter
Community Organizer

^ Agreed, the only time I use UPS is when its a large freight item.

The valve stems were off amazon and it didn't provide an option for me to select a method of shipping