Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Sleepy Sleepy for the Winter?

Old 10-20-2002, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sleepy Sleepy for the Winter?

Just wondering if any of you have put your "S" down for winter yet? I tried to this weekend, but didn't have the courage to unplug the battery yet, still hoping for another month without salted roads. I think I want to keep driving it until the end of November, if they don't salt the roads till then, what do you all think...?
Old 10-20-2002, 02:01 PM

I will be storing mine about mid-November. Till then, I hope I to drive it any chance I get.
Old 10-20-2002, 02:43 PM
Former Moderator

as soon as the first snow flys I put it away..

I hate the first snow fall
Old 10-20-2002, 02:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The snow will be much more fun in the MDX!!!
Old 10-20-2002, 04:14 PM

I'm getting snow tires, but will only be driving it sparingly in the winter. It'll be out of commission for a while anyways with all the projects I've got planned.
Old 10-21-2002, 06:39 AM

Mine goes in as soon as they start to salt the roads, with luck that will be a few weeks away. I worked all day Saturday and got the CRX-Si preped and stored under its little blankie so it is ready for the 6 month nap. Now all I have to do is concentrate on the S2000.

Now remember everybody - take the time to do it all before you completely put it away.

COPIED FROM ANOTHER THREAD:
This will be my first year to store the S2000, but here is what I have done for the past 10 years with my CRX-Si which gets stored in an unheated garage, generally from beginning of November to end of April.
To store the car I do the following:
1- Each and every time I go for a drive in October when I bring the car home I wash and dry it and fill it up with gas so the tank is full. You want the smallest air gap in the tank because temp changes will cause condensation in there, I've never been a big advocate of fuel stabilizer but some are and that is okay if you want to go that route.
2- As soon as the first snow flies the car is grounded, I do not bring it out until we have had the last salting of the road, followed by 1 or 2 major rainstorms. I do not start the car up during the winter!
3- Oil and filter change - don't leave the dirty oil sitting in the engine for months at a time.
4- Pump the tires to about 45 to 50 psi.
5- Be sure the window wash fluid is the anti-freeze kind and not some straight water.
6- Check anti-freeze for how low it is good for and adjust if needed.
7- Every 3 years radiator flush
8- Every 3 years tranny fluid change
9- Top off any other fluids under the hood.
10- Sweep the garage floor, mine is concrete, lay down a plastic tarp or park the car on linoleum. Concrete can get damp in the winter and if the car sits on linoleum or a tarp it will help to keep most of the moisture away from the car so the underbody does not collect condensation.
11- Remove battery and take it to the warmth of the heated house. Make sure you have the stereo code before unhooking the battery!
12- Open up the battery cells and fill up with distilled water.
13- Put the trickle charger on the battery (2-3 amp) and run it each and every weekend, but not during the weekdays, so it is 5 off and 2 on all winter long.
14- Clean out the interior really well, leave nothing behind, check all small compartments, you don't want a pack of gum left in a storage compartment or a used piece wadded up in the ash tray - trust me on this!
15- If you have a big exhaust tip (4" on CRX-Si) stuff a rag into the end so it is closed, without a catalytic converter and a 2.5" free flow exhaust I'm scarred to think how far up into the engine a small rodent could go. Even if you know you don't have a mouse problem plan ahead, trust me on this!
16- Spray lightly a bit of Febreeze (fabric deodorizer) on both floor mats, it off sets the bad smell of the next one.
17- Place several mothballs around the interior, placing them on small paper plates so they are not in contact with the car. AND based upon my experience, make a list of how many you placed in the car and where, I've had years where I smelt that crap until mid summer when I finally opened a compartment and realized there was a moth ball still in the car- UGH!
18- Open sunroof, roll windows down half way and put car cover on, you do not want to seal the cabin closed.
19- Place several mouse traps around the car, bait them with peanut butter, and remember even if you know you don't have a mouse problem, plan ahead, trust me on this!

During the winter I do the following:
- I do not start the car, I see no real advantage of starting it up and really think it does more harm than good.
Old 10-21-2002, 01:47 PM
Banned

Officially TUGZ S2K is in hibernation....

Here is my personal checklist that was posted in another thread a while back. Ive followed this Checklist for 5 years with my Civic Coupe.

Here is my checklist for winter storage
1) Change the oil/filter with fresh motor oil (atalotta, in your case since your car is only a month old, leave the oil and dont change it)

2) Pour Fuel Stabilizer into gas tank and then fill gas tank with 94 octaine all the way up to the filler neck. (prevents gas from going bad and condensation/water from
building up in tank)

3) Boost tire presstures to at least 60psI cold (to prevent flat spotting) Do not keep car on blocks/jack stands. A car was not designed to sit on its frame for long periods of
time. Rather on its wheels/tires/suspension.

4) Remove the battery and store in a warm place. If you have a trickle charger, charge it once a month. Dont let sit on concrete.

5) Remove spark plugs, pour a little bit of oil down each cylinder and turn the crank by hand. Then re install spark plugs (ensures piston rings dont seize and there is no dry
start in the spring)

6) Completely detail the car. Wash and wax, windex, vaccum and clean entire interior. Detail engine bay, clean out trunk..etc (gets it all ready for spring )

7) Close all windows and close roof. Install a nice soft dust cover to keep her warm.

And when spring hits all you need to do is a few things
- Turn the crank a few times by hand to ensure rings move freely
- Change Rad, Tranny, Diff, Brake, Clutch fluids
- Charge and install battery
- adjust tire pressures accordingly
- Start engine and drive car...
- run gas to empty and fill up with fresh tank.

Peace
Old 10-21-2002, 04:08 PM

Dude, how do you turn the crank by hand?

And are you telling us you put your car to bed for the winter already?
Old 10-22-2002, 10:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have no useful information to add to this thread......
Old 10-22-2002, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by TKG 26
i have no useful information to add to this thread......

Quick Reply: Sleepy Sleepy for the Winter?