Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Security System Question

Old 11-13-2003, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by DoGMaN
Its insured
and get a big dog!
Old 11-13-2003, 07:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sunilr

Peace of mind, it helps me sleep better.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:21 AM

But if my car and your car are side by side and mine goes wooo wooo, say bye bye to your car.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How man times do you hear a car alarm, then stop and yell, HEY THIEF!

Ha, everyone just ignores them, woooo wooo woo w..... Oh that guy must have accidently set off his alarm. Thief drives away.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:51 AM

Marco's right..big dogs are far better.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by Mindcore
If they want my car, they can take it
...yup and please don't ever bring it back! just cut me a check for it and i'll be happy.

in terms of getting $ back for parts that you put in, forget it, if you don't pay the premiums for your mods, there really is no reason for them to pay you for them -- can't really get something for nothing, ya know.

that's why i'm keeping the S 100% stock, its a fun car as it is.

besides, the S won't attract Civic driving punks (I was one )-- nothin' from this car fits in other Hondas!, its more for high end theft where they flatbed your car away anyways so your alarm won't even go off.

the worse that i can see happening w/ this car is just vandalism, which no alarm can really protect you from anyways.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:16 PM

Well you are kind of right Dennis. However, a proximity sensor often used on convertibles when the top is down is a good feature to have. If someone is standing beside your car or if there is movement aroud the car for a certain length of time the alarm will go off. Flat beds as well in reality should work. But with car alarms at an angle greater than 35 degrees the alarm will shut off. There are alot of new toys out there such as micro sensors and even movement/roll detectors for rims. As well, to combat this issue of having the alarm going off while being towed, you can have it set up so that if by chance a tow truck or flatbed is used despite it being towed to an angle of over 35 degrees the sirens will still keep sounding. With normal systems you have an option to include an additional siren with a battery back up. I would install 2 of these. 1 someone hidden in the front and another in the rear. Our immobilizer does the job very well dont get me wrong. The insertion of a improperly codded key prevents the starting of the car even if something like a screwdriver is used. So the need for something like a starter kill or a fuel pump or ignition kill wouldnt apply to our vehicle but would on other vehicles not equipped with an immobilizer.

You guys are right, alarms have become so common people just disregard them. So whats left to do? Buy a steering wheel with a removable hub ahahahaha j/k.

Just get boomerang! Car stolen they track it quickly. Within 1 hour your car is back. I know will say by then they will trash the car. But that isnt necessarily the case. With higher end vehicles thieves often drive it to a location wait an hours time if the car is found by boomerang then they leave if not recovered then they proceed to do what they intended to do with the vehicle. Oh yeah boomerang saves you money on your insurance too.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd recommend both, CompuStar for the vandalism

and Boomerang for theft.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:53 PM

Sean,

I guess I'm the paranoid type, I never park w/ the top down anywhere, not even if I run inside my house for 10 min. ... in case some bird decides to make my car a target practice, I don't feel like sitting on birdie-doodie (even though i have emergency water + cloth to wipe up the mess) but still.... As far as my interior goes, the only thing that's shown is my crappy road map that's about it, I hardly keep anything of value in the car -- not even in the compartments.

With regards to combating against stealing via flatbedding, that's quite interesting, that's something worth looking into for those whom have already invested in a more powerful alarm system.

As for the Boomerang, doesn't it run on GSM technology? And since we all know GSM sucks when it comes to getting a signal from inside a building (higher frequency, difficult to penetrate concrete walls), if a bunch of thieves flatbed ur car into a 3 story below underground garage, it'd be pretty hard to track your car... unless you happen to know your car is gone within 10-20 min. of it being stolen.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:13 PM

there is always a way around to any anti-theft... the reason to put it on is so that the thief will have to go thru alot of trouble to get your car or to get to your car...

i have never seen a flatbed going underground 3 stories ... but maybe someone will do it... but for an s2k? i don't think so... Enzo, maybe... S2k... no...

the last thing a theif wants is attention, whether someone heard the alarm goes off or not... he can't be sure. it's a psycological thing. two exact same cars parked in a lot... one with alarm, one without... which one do you think he will pick?

Quick Reply: Security System Question