Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Save a life

Old 02-02-2011, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Save a life

Hi everyone, I've been a long time member and owner, just don't post much.
I just wanted to take a minute to post for a very close friend of mine that was diagnosed with Leukemia recently and needs a bone marrow transplant.

I hope that you can take a few moments to:

-Go to ONEMATCH.CA and register for the swab kit
-OR go to the matching event we are organizing on March 3rd at Donald Cousens Public School
-And share the same info with people you know on your facebook, twitter, forums, e-mail, social networking, etc.

I think we are fortunate to be part of a caring and supportive community. We know that many of our families and close friends have experienced the loss of a loved one due to illness like cancer, and that many of you would choose to help others avoid the same kind of loss if given the opportunity to do so. Having said that, I hope that some of you can join us on Thursday, March 3rd or spread the word to help support those battling diseases like Leukemia.

My friend's name is Krisy. She is a fun loving 28 year-old of Asian decent. She finished university in 2005 and continued her studies to pursue a career in legal administration. In 2007, she started working as a legal assistant at a downtown Toronto law firm. She is a loving, giving and kind-hearted individual who is full of life and known for her laughter and her love of food.

Krisy and her bf showing her s2k love

What can you do? All it takes to register is just a simple and painless swab of the inside of your cheek! You can also learn about what is involved in stem cell donation and register online on OneMatch (http://www.onematch.ca), The National Stem Cell Registry.

Why should we do it? Because our community represents a diverse group of people, and there are currently 800+ Canadian patients in need of stem cell transplants. Having said that, minority groups are hugely underrepresented within the global bone marrow stem cell network. Asians, for examples, only represent 3.8% of potential donors. The greatest likelihood of finding a match is from within one’s own ethnic group.

Who can do it? You must be between the ages of 17 and 50, in general good health, willing and available for all patients in need and covered under government health care (e.g., OHIP). Health problems that could make you ineligible include some heart conditions, cancer, blood diseases, insulin-dependent diabetes and infectious diseases such as HIV/AIDS, hepatitis B and C.

Why you should do it? If you are a match you have the opportunity to help SAVE A LIFE, for any one of the 800+ Canadian patients like Krisy, who are relying on kind hearted individuals like you to be their one match.

All are welcome.
Thursday, March 3rd @ Donald Cousens Public School (Gym)
Anytime between 2:40 and 8:30
Old 02-03-2011, 04:52 AM

best of luck with everything -- stay strong!
Old 02-03-2011, 06:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Linked this to another forum.
Hope everything works out.

This is a link to a map showing where the public school is.
I had no idea, so I figured other people wouldn't as well.

http://maps.google.ca/maps/m?source=mog&hl...8&view=m&ac=m,s,
Old 02-03-2011, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll register for a swab kit and just wanted to wish your friend all the best.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the map link 6013641. And thank you D4FT for registering and helping.
Appreciate the kind words of support, and please share the info!
Old 02-05-2011, 10:56 PM

If you can't make it to the March 3rd date, please consider attending the following event as well.

Date: Saturday, February 19 at 12 pm–6 pm
Location: OAKRIDGES ROOM–SHERATON PARKWAY TORONTO NORTH HOTEL & SUITES, Richmond Hill, ON

And if you plan on attending, please make sure you bring a valid Ontario Health Insurance Card/OHIP number.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Applied Online and will wait for the swab test.

My friend has leukeima and is doing well 10 years after being diagnosed.

I wish I heard about this earlier!

Don't hesitate to help people, it only takes a few minutes.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:08 PM

Hey guys, so the event is coming up THIS Thursday. Please come out and bring a friend or two.

Thursday, March 3rd between 2:40 to 8:30pm
Donald Cousens Public School
315 Mingay Ave, Markham, ON

Who can do it?
- Anyone between 17 and 50 years of age (covered under government health care, e.g. OHIP)
- In good general health
***PLEASE REMEMBER TO BRING YOUR OHIP CARD***

And if you are curious about the process, here's a video below of a toronto doctor and an actual toronto stem cell donor where he explains how easy it was to donate stem cell's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqhhopX8vyA

Hope to see some of you guys there.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:09 PM

My wife and I registered 3 weeks ago, only to hear days after about my cousin's good friend being diagnosed with Leukemia as well.

Only a small percentage of people who are of Asian decent are registered, which means the chances of finding a match are even less than that of Caucasian decent.

More reason for us to lend our support.

Good Luck!
Old 03-02-2011, 02:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mailed out Swab kit, it's super easy to do

Quick Reply: Save a life