Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Is the S2K THAT bad of a foul weather car?

Old 05-24-2004, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the S2K THAT bad of a foul weather car?

Hey guys,

Reading through these posts, sounds like s2k's around ontario took a beating this weekend because of the rain and all. Sorry to hear about all the accidents... my question, however, is regarding the safety of this vehicle in adverse weather conditions. Really, how safe is this puppy in wet conditions?

Is that backend that loose? I mean if drivers are excercising common sense (i.e., adjusting their driving styles to the weather conditions, not running bald tires) should these things happen?

I know a bunch of you drive this car in the winter and I will as well when I get the car next year, but if rain causes so much problems, i'm scared to think how bad snow would be (even with snow tires all around).

Would just love some feedback from you all... I'm taking all things into consideration before I put myself in financial debt purchasing a used 01 sometime next year.

PS: Picked up some NXT from eshine for my GTI...can't wait to try it as soon as all this crap weather clears up.

Best,

Kevin
Old 05-24-2004, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove in the rain on the highway, felt fine to me. I don't drive in rain on purpose though.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:45 PM

nah - its fine..I spun my car because I made a small mistake on an oily road....I drive it all winter and except for when the snow is deeper than the car is high - its great!

It's a tricky car that wont give you any slack, but drive it properly and respect the conditions and youll have no problems at all with it.

It also makes it way way funner
Old 05-24-2004, 05:54 PM
Former Moderator

Exactly, its not bad in the wet..

Bald tires or driving like a moron in any car will yield bad results
Old 05-24-2004, 05:58 PM

The car is actually really good in the wet imo...you just have to understand what the car is doing or will do under a given set of circumstances.

That said...this car WILL bite you in the ass if you not careful. No matter how many times we say it...DRIVER EDUCATION is direct related to what you get out of this car.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:09 PM

I was on the highway when the down pour happens on Saturday... even with the highest speed of the wipers... it's not helping much...

I saw 4x4 trucks going by at 100+ km/hr... i drove at 60 like the rest of the cars due to not being able to see properly and the fact that the road is basically a hydro plane...

all in all though.. made it thru from 401 and 404 to Major Mac & 404
Old 05-24-2004, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha, rain-x works like a charm, but same thing happening hear, I see cars going by 150+ I laugh and make wiggly sign language with my hand, thinking they are headed for the ditch not too far up the road.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by Mannn
I was on the highway when the down pour happens on Saturday... even with the highest speed of the wipers... it's not helping much...

I saw 4x4 trucks going by at 100+ km/hr... i drove at 60 like the rest of the cars due to not being able to see properly and the fact that the road is basically a hydro plane...

all in all though.. made it thru from 401 and 404 to Major Mac & 404

You live up here man? I live at Bayview and Major Mac... I always see a Berlina in these parts...don't think I've seen your GPW around though....
Old 05-24-2004, 08:10 PM

no.. i don't live around there.. just happened to be there....
Old 05-24-2004, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by Mannn
i agree.

the S is my daily driver and i've driven it almost every day since mid sept. 2003. i've had my share of going over large patches of standing water with this car on the highway and i have to say it's friggin' scary (i spun the car last year). if there's anything that'll get ya it'll be the puddles. the S being a relatively light rwd car and having wide tires doesn't make it the best car to displace water to maintain contact with the road. provided the layer of water on the road is even you can get away with going at a higher speed, but this is almost never the case. you gotta go slow enough to leave yourself a safety margin in case you encounter a big-ass puddle, which is sometimes hard to see especially at night while raining.

regards to snow, i find it easier to drive in the white stuff than in the rain. don't know why, but IMO, snow is more predictable and easier to see...

so when conditions are less than ideal, it's granny-mode for me. it's frustrating sometimes cuz it requires patience and you to push the ego aside (i.e. going 20-40kmph less than the flow of traffic). the thought of having so much to lose by seeing how fast i can go in bad weather is good enough a reason for me to take it easy.

Quick Reply: Is the S2K THAT bad of a foul weather car?