Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Rogers PVC and HDTV Opinions

Old 10-11-2004, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rogers PVC and HDTV Opinions

Here's one that I'm a little late to the party for. Yes, I still do not have digital cable, let alone HD service. I am shamed.

I'm not a dedicated CSI watcher so I'm a little wary of what there really is to watch on any of the HDTV broadcasts.

I'm also curious about the HD PVR. The reviews i've read on it so far haven't been too flattering so it seems like the decision to rent it sounds better than buying. Any thoughts?

Lastly, does Rogers offer any packages that you may recommend?
Old 10-11-2004, 06:51 AM

I also hate CSI, but Im starting to watch it not because I love the show, but because its one of shows in HDTV.

I love my HDTV.

You need to get it. Its freaking amazing. If you like football youll love it.

Basically any prime time show is in HD except for the reality shows.

The picture is unreal.

I dont have the HDPVR, but Id like to get one.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:54 AM

more on the PVR - its good because it gives you the chance to choose when you want to watch your HD shows. Thats the only advantage as I see it. For example, Im often working between 8 and 9 and would like to be able to watch LOST later....
Old 10-11-2004, 06:56 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had HDTV last year and it was meh....well the picture was AMAVING but there were only a few channels.

At that point in time it wasn't worth the extra $$ for them. But i see now there are many more channels coming out with HD.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:51 PM

I've been renting a Rogers HDTV decoder for over a year. I don't bother with all the digital, specialty channels just the HD ones. I hardly ever watch HD. Most of the channels that are HD rarely broadcast HD shows. CSI is ok and usually the ABC weekend movie is pretty good especially in 5.1 DD. More shows need to get on the HDTV bandwagon. I'm still waiting for HD Survivor!
I think I use the TV for DVDs and as a HD demo for guests more than anything else. The Rogers HD demo channel is usually pretty awsome.
The only drawback with Rogers is that all of their regular channels, the most popular ones, are still analog!
Old 10-11-2004, 01:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fin man,Oct 11 2004, 04:51 PM
The only drawback with Rogers is that all of their regular channels, the most popular ones, are still analog!
That's exactly why I'm waiting.... not worth the extra $$ yet.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:47 PM

There is a lot more HD channels now. ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, FOX, CityTV, TSN, TMN (movie channel), two pay per view movie channels, timeshifted US network TV. There a bunch of primetime, sports and late night TV in HD, which includes some of the other US network shows that end up on CityTV. If you like any of those shows it is a must have IMO. Even the non-HD shows look really crisp on the HD transmission.

The PVR thing is good for easy recording (built in schedule), skipping commercials and rewinding/pausing live tv. The HD version is supposed to save in native MPEG2 format too, so no loss in quality. Don't really know if the current box is any good though.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:02 PM

Blow out Rogers and get Starchoice! There PVR is out in November, with 8 or 9 HDTV channels. Awesome pic.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:09 PM

I just traded my starchoice system for the rogers I love it. PVR I don't know how I lived without it!

I watch ONLY the HD channels. You get TSN, ABC,FOX sportsnet, CBS etc etc all for free even with just basic cable if you have the HD tuner

I watch a lot of HD discovery but the HD discovery in Canada is not widescreen HD Most of the prime time shows are HD and I love watching them, hockey looks wicked in HD and football and basketball.

I love my PVR!

I would rent though, it crashes often and I have to reboot it, I'm sure it will die eventually, I like the fact I can just go get another if it does die.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:21 PM
Banned

Did you buy your HD tuner?? How do you get the HD channels for free??

Even when I was renting i had to get them to enable the channels when i got my HD tuner in.

Quick Reply: Rogers PVC and HDTV Opinions