Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

recommendations for LCD displays

Old 11-27-2006, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recommendations for LCD displays

so i think it's time for me to dispose of my 6 year old samsung 17" crt monitor

i've been getting headaches the past 2 weeks which might be related to eyestrain due to this pos monitor (or i may not know what i'm talking about). i'm completely lost when it comes to computers and i don't even know anything about lcd displays so i was wondering if i could get some input

i'm looking at getting this thing:

Acer 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor (AL1916W AB)
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...10081851&catid=

yay? no?

other recommendations greatly suggested if this one stinks

my only requirements: under $270, 19", must be LCD display for a computer, anything that's good for my eyes as i have a lot of pdf files and cases to read, i don't play computer games or any of that stuff so ya

thanks!
Old 11-27-2006, 06:33 AM

First of all, the best thing I've done for my eyes is replace all CRTs I use with LCDS. I never end the day with extreme eye fatigue like I used to, going through college or spending a day at the office.

I'm using a 17" Acer here right now and it's great, but maybe a little small. Remember, when you go with a 19" widescreen you're going to lose some height compared to a standard 19". That said, if I were purchasing a new monitor I'd go with the widescreen. The increase in display real estate is very useful.

Other option is to go with dual 17" LCDs, but that would exceed your budget when you consider the cost of a new video card and the 2 panels.

Either way, even if you were to just move up to a 17" LCD you'd still be improving the size of your display from your current setup, as you are actually only getting around 16" of viewable area. Advertised LCD sizes are true to the actual viewable area.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:37 AM

By the way, have a look here Greytech

I have purchase from these guys for years and they're great in terms of price and service. They have a retail store in Markham you can pick up from directly. Should save you some money there. Check out their other LCDs as well.

TigerDirect.ca is also good from time to time, just don't expect good service. You kind of have to know exactly what you want and do all your own research with them.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an Apple 20" Cinema Display which is excellent. I also have a Dell 24" display which is big and nice but not anywhere near the quality of the Apple display.

My advice is two-fold:

1. You can't have too much desktop space. Buy the biggest monitor you can afford (1920x1200 if you can get it, 1680x1050 if not) even my notebook has 1680x1050 and some Dell notebooks have 1920x1200. This puts you into a 20-21" display.
2. You will use it for years IF you buy a good quality monitor. If you buy a $600 display and keep it 5 years it's a lot cheaper than a $300 display you keep for 2. A 1280x1024 standard 19" LCD is not going to last you long term especially as applications begin to require more and more space and as computers become more powerful and can handle running more and more apps at the same time.

I'm presently running 14 applications right now over 2 monitors (1920x1200 Dell and 1680x1050 notebook) and using just about every square inch of it. You may not be doing that today but you will eventually. If you are planning to use Vista anytime in the next year you are going to need the real estate. 30" monitors are not rare anymore and apps will start to use that space as it becomes more commonplace.

I suggest you look at a Dell display and buy bigger than you think you are going to need.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:12 AM

I'd look into Samsung or Viewsonic. failing those, I'd also go with Dell.

IMO Samsung makes the best displays.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:19 AM

I hates to say it but I agree with cthree.... You're monitor will vastly outlast your computer. I got the 24" Dell and I love it. My previous monitor was a 20" crt, massive when i bought it but it lasted about 8 years and I went through 3 pc's through that time.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:14 PM

thanks for the feedback i've definitely been enlightened

i'll look into some 20+'s now and consider samsung, viewsonic, dell
Old 11-28-2006, 09:34 AM

LCD has just gone through another round of price drop. You can get a 22" widescreen Samsung for $399 these days. I have two of those Acer 19" widescreen LCDs you're talking about, they're good displays at around $219, but you really should be looking at 22" nowadays for the biggest bang of the buck.

The next feature to look for is HDCP support (this is just starting to come out on the computer LCD display). This will allow you to play BluRay/HD-DVD on your computer, or plug it into cable boxes as a cheap HDTV.

Edit: I just noticed that Future Shop asks $269 for the Acer 19" LCD. That's a complete and utter ripoff.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by climacus,Nov 28 2006, 10:34 AM
LCD has just gone through another round of price drop. You can get a 22" widescreen Samsung for $399 these days. I have two of those Acer 19" widescreen LCDs you're talking about, they're good displays at around $219, but you really should be looking at 22" nowadays for the biggest bang of the buck.

The next feature to look for is HDCP support (this is just starting to come out on the computer LCD display). This will allow you to play BluRay/HD-DVD on your computer, or plug it into cable boxes as a cheap HDTV.

Edit: I just noticed that Future Shop asks $269 for the Acer 19" LCD. That's a complete and utter ripoff.
thanks for the heads up!

dont worry! i just used futureshop.ca's link as a product reference cuz it typically has detailed specs, i go through a family friend for my actual purchases

learning a lot about these "LCD's" - quite a culture shock to my peon mind

btw! any advice on laptops?! i am familiar with computer specs and such but i'm a total doorknob to the various brands and such

i haven't done any research at all but i like the dells because you can get the factory extended battery to boost life up to 7-9 hours? any reason not to go with dell or which brands are better! my requirements (if it affects the brand): i don't play computer games, don't do graphics design, maybe watch 1 dvd every month, don't need one of those ridiculously small 12" compact ones but of course don't want too bulky of one, and please don't recommend sony or some ridiculous 'balling' brand because i'm a broke teenager
Old 11-28-2006, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recommend a MacBook or MacBook pro. They are spec compatible, price compatible and are the only notebooks capable of running both Windows XP/Vista and Mac OSX, even at the same time if you like which is what I do.

Quick Reply: recommendations for LCD displays