Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Proposed bill 241 could ban ALL mods - petition

Old 12-20-2002, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2kRob [B]You're not concerned that your fundamental liberties are being erroded?
Old 12-20-2002, 08:20 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by matrix
[B]

Kind of harsh don't you think?

What liberties are you talking about?
Old 12-20-2002, 09:32 PM

I agree that driving is a privilege but that has nothing to do with me putting an intake on the car or changing suspensions. This is done by dealerships now.. so if it's done there will it be "legal" I do agree that some mods make the cars unsafe to drive.. People cutting their springs, blowing chocks.. etc.. But we can't have a BLANKET law that gives the police this much leeway. From the feedback on our board, there are many police officers that have NO IDEA what is legal and what is not. One of our members was told last night that his aftermarket exhaust is illegal.. WTF? It's not loud and it passes emissions, how is that illegal?
So once again, I have no problem with a crackdown on street racing, although there have only been 16 deaths I think in the last 5 years.. and I'd venture that half of those cars were not modded at all.. Yup, it's a HUGE issue. but banning any kind of aftermarket modification to your car is plainly wrong. I already changed countries once in my life to escape Communism and the lack of personal freedoms.. This blanket law would be very close to that imo..

Also think of it this way... Drinking and driving definitely kills a lot more people than street racing ever will.. Should we ban alcohol then?
Old 12-21-2002, 06:36 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2kRob
[B]

Yep, I was too harsh on SJ, sorry about that man, I apologize.

Now, onto you, Matrix.
Old 12-21-2002, 09:41 AM

ARghghg... So if there was a bill proposing death penatly for theft over $5K would you not protest it? It wouldn't affect you because you will never steal anything but it's still wrong. Same thing here, this proposed bill is wrong. I thought you guys were from the 70's activist era?
Old 12-21-2002, 09:52 AM

meh this stuff isn't really anything u gotta worrie about... go ahead and soop the shit out of your car, as long as everything is safty approved and is not a threat to society the police wont get stricted on the matter. They will however come down hard on people with street-racer looking kind of cars/drivers and push the law to the bitter end on them.... this is all just a different way to control vehicular related deaths. Its not really going to take away any freedoms and so fourth. And even if you do have a hyped up car... i highly doubt they will cause problems for a 30 year old man who is just a car enthuseist. These new rules and regulations are just giving officers the ability to stereotype "racers" in a form which will make it legal and ethical under the law. You wont get tickets for rims, sway bars, exaust, etc... for just the fact you have them... some cars come sooped up from the factory, for example, the Saleen 351 (complete with blower, body kit, exaust, rims, intake, and a whole lot more) they cant issue penalities for purchasing a car which is modified for sale on the open market. If they did, the police cars themselves would not be premitted for use as that they come aftermarket modified as well. My point is... if you look like a person who doesn't give a shit about road safty, speed limits, and the rules of the road... u will get tickets for every little sticker and nicnak u have attached to your car under these new regulations. But if your like most of the people on this board (people who just are enjoying a car which we all came to know and love) you will rarely have any problems, new regulations or not. Its all about saving lives people!
Old 12-21-2002, 11:59 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by quick_lude
[B]ARghghg...
Old 12-21-2002, 12:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You older gents have less to worry about than I. I'm the main target here even though I don't reside with those street racing hooligans. Also the fact where I look 5 years younger than I am doesn't help either.

I've already been pulled over in Woodbridge for no reason before being hassled about my car. Hopefully if this bill passes the police don't abuse their power. If so people like me will be unfairly treated on a daily bases.

That
Old 12-21-2002, 02:40 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ~69erGi/Vo~
[B].
Old 12-21-2002, 07:47 PM

I have made a webpage regarding the proposed Bill, what section we disagree with, and what we can do about it.

Please send this link to as many interested parties as possible:

http://members.rogers.com/bash/bill241.htm

Rob

Quick Reply: Proposed bill 241 could ban ALL mods - petition