Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

PRICE OF US MONEY!

Old 10-23-2008, 07:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll see a lot of sales going on in the next little bit. The 63mm Sparrow on sale now.

Normally it's good news for canadians when the US dollar is strong. Atleast for the Manufactures and exporters. Strong US dollar = Cheaper Gas, because we export most of it to them. And US will purchase more from CDN because it's cheaper to do so.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iDomN8U,Oct 23 2008, 10:06 AM
You'll see a lot of sales going on in the next little bit. The 63mm Sparrow on sale now.

Normally it's good news for canadians when the US dollar is strong. Atleast for the Manufactures and exporters. Strong US dollar = Cheaper Gas, because we export most of it to them. And US will purchase more from CDN because it's cheaper to do so.
we export oil to the USA only to buy it back from them for more money in the form of Gasoline. However, I agree that current dollar is great for Canadian exports, the only problem is most canadian companies have hedged against the CDN $ rising because it was going crazy for a while. Now, that hedge that was saving their ass over the past year is biting them.

btw, I saw that the sparrow was on sale as well, but considering our dollar situation, it's just as much as it was before the sale.

so who's bold enough to ask evasive or another big aftermarket parts company for their income statements? LOL
Old 10-23-2008, 10:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by iDomN8U,Oct 23 2008, 08:46 AM
Only if you can see the future... it's a gamble.

I'm still not sure why the dollar is where it is now, with the economic condition of the U.S, the dollar should be weaker then ever.
Since Canada is a resources/commodities-based economy, our dollar correlates strongly with resource prices such as oil. This is because when our resources are in demand, foreign entities must buy CND currency to make their purchases which drives up the dollar. At least this is what I remember in economics.

Combined with less demand for US goods and services, the CND $ was competiting favourably against it for a while.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by iDomN8U,Oct 23 2008, 04:46 AM
Only if you can see the future... it's a gamble.

I'm still not sure why the dollar is where it is now, with the economic condition of the U.S, the dollar should be weaker then ever.
Why is it a gamble? Things in the US is so much cheaper than in Canada such as Cars, clothing, food etc. Worst case comes I'll do my shopping in the US.Most Canadian travel to the US during the winter months and they use USD.

The Canadian dollar is low because oil and gold prices has been beaten up like a bitach. Everyone is buying back into the USD that's why it's jumping like crazy.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by S2K Type R,Oct 23 2008, 02:16 PM
Since Canada is a resources/commodities-based economy, our dollar correlates strongly with resource prices such as oil. This is because when our resources are in demand, foreign entities must buy CND currency to make their purchases which drives up the dollar. At least this is what I remember in economics.

Combined with less demand for US goods and services, the CND $ was competiting favourably against it for a while.
In that instance, the loonie should strengthen.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by PearlwhiteS2k,Oct 23 2008, 04:32 PM
Why is it a gamble? Things in the US is so much cheaper than in Canada such as Cars, clothing, food etc. Worst case comes I'll do my shopping in the US.Most Canadian travel to the US during the winter months and they use USD.

The Canadian dollar is low because oil and gold prices has been beaten up like a bitach. Everyone is buying back into the USD that's why it's jumping like crazy.
Gamble because if I did, I would buy 50,000 US @ .1% premium, then I decide I want to trade it for CDN @ .1% premium, I would loose .2 cent on the dollar just in conversion. That means I would begin making a profit if the spread was greater then .2 cents.

With the US in a recession, you might have though the CDN dollar to only strengthen not weaken. I'm not sure a lot people saw this coming.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:19 PM

^ We are in a "R" If your thinking about making money on the US currency than yes it's a gamble but if you do a lot of traveling and US shopping it's not a gamble. I think most people know that the CND wouldn't hold high or near par vs the USD.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I <3 a weak dollar. All of my income is in US dollars. I was getting crushed for the last year! It's like a huge weight has been lifted.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't buy currency in cash, you do it in debt. Cash is a depreciating asset. A US t-bill on the other hand pays a yield and is guaranteed, just like cash.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by s2kobsession,Oct 22 2008, 07:51 PM
I own lots of stock in USD$
That's unfortunate. Given the U.S. market is going to take longer to recover than ours, and our dollar is going to move up compared to the green back in the next 6 - 12 months. I would look at every pop in the market as an opportunity to sell your U.S. positions. Unless your holding very blue chip companies with a 3 - 5 year time horizon.

Quick Reply: PRICE OF US MONEY!