Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Plastic polish

Old 09-27-2011, 02:20 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Plastic polish

Like a lot of car enthusiasts I am a freak when it comes to keeping my car clean and shiny. I am always looking to polish stuff and keep it looking new. I noticed in direct sunlight there were a lot of scratches on the cluster's clear plastic. I went on eshine and bought some plastic polish (Duragloss #681 Plastic Lens Polish) especially made for removing scratches and restoring headlights.

I was working it in and it made a huge difference. I did it about 4 times and after it looked new. Here is the bad part...

I also noticed that the clear plastic around the heater controls was scratched up (pretty badly actually) by the previous owner so I went to polish that too. I got some of it on the plastic frame that wraps around that whole area by accident. That part is a kind of flat plastic with just a hint of shine to it, the same as your vents etc. After just a few rubs, this polish buffed it to a high gloss but also stripped the finish at the same time. So I had a stripped patch, with high gloss around it and then the regular flat everywhere else...

Do not get this stuff on anything that is not clear plastic. It wont take much to ruin it. The finish on that plastic is very thin and it was ruined. I spent hours sanding and blending the area to get it down to a flat shine again so it looks decent. I would have just buffed the whole thing glossy if that one area did not strip comepletely flat. To make me even more pissed, while sanding even though I used a tiny piece of very fine sandpaper, I accidentally sanded the clear plastic near the heater controls. I buffed that to a gloss but it looks different because that plastic is tinted I believe.

Oh, and I didn't play the stock market yesterday and the stock I was going to buy went up.................. one of those days.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can post up pics, that would be great.

I wanted to do this on my Honda fit, but was worried it would make it worse.