Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Opinions on Owning an S in Ontario (GTA)?

Old 05-28-2009, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Owning an S in Ontario (GTA)?

Hey Guys,

I've been on this car forum for quite some time now, but hardly posted.
I guess I'm more of a lurker...haha

I was always fond of the s2k but never really had enough money to purchase one since my money was always going to help my family. >.<

Now that I'm almost done University, and should get a full-time job, I am looking into getting a 2003 GPW s2k.

I used to have savings for the s2k, but I needed to get a car to go from point a to point b so I picked up an Integra.

So the savings started all over again..haha

Anyways, from the owners that live in the GTA, how is it like owning and driving one here?

Does only having two seats annoying? My gf always carry's around her big purse, so having to open the trunk to put her purse in there I think might be a hassle unless there is a lot of leg room on the passenger side.

Any pros/cons?

I know the s2k is mainly a summer car, which is why I will be keeping the Integra to use as a winter beater. For now, its an all around car.

Any help is appreciated =)
And how much am I looking to save up? 15k, 20k?

Thanks =)
Old 05-28-2009, 10:20 AM

The two seats thing is definitely annoying... very very annoying. I used to have a backseat so throwing stuff in the back was awesome - now that luxury is gone. And the big purse thing, my gf just usually keeps it on the mats by her feet... (not my problem ) but as far as space goes - travel lightly- its definitely something you'll have to get used to. Pros.. a bunch of them, different for everyone. Cons, also different for everyone. - but mainly not being able to drive it comfortably year round is the biggest con.

its a great car, looks good, you won't be disappointed.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:20 AM

It's a great car, just don't leave it parked outside overnight or unattended in the GTA. They seem to be disappearing lately!
I would save up at least 20k so your not strapped.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:00 AM

Anyways, from the owners that live in the GTA, how is it like owning and driving one here?

Does only having two seats annoying? My gf always carry's around her big purse, so having to open the trunk to put her purse in there I think might be a hassle unless there is a lot of leg room on the passenger side.

Any pros/cons?

I know the s2k is mainly a summer car, which is why I will be keeping the Integra to use as a winter beater. For now, its an all around car.

Any help is appreciated =)
And how much am I looking to save up? 15k, 20k?
Being a recent owner myself. Owning one is awesome. I love the superbike sound at 9k, and the simple thought of owning such a unique car with the 9k rpm redline is rewarding. It takes some getting used to, letting the motor go to 9k but it comes fast.

My gf also loves it. Actually, she gets disappointed when I tell her I go for drives in it when she's not around. (its not my DD) Everytime I ask her which car to take, she says the S. Top up, or topless... she says topless (and i give her a stare lol) Which is actually surprising b/c people generally consider her a high maintenance girl. The purse goes by her feet.

In regards to space, I never have problems with space with the s2000. Then again, I have an 08 accord and never have people in the backseat anyways b/c I don't want them to get the back dirty (coupe), so no need for more than 2 seats.

The trunk is actually larger than you'd expect. If you really need space, you can take out the spare tire tools and you have quite a deep trunk. Hell, if you need to carry stuff use your gfs car or your DD.

Don't even think about driving it in the winter .... or atleast don't tell me you do.

I own a 2000. An Ap1. The S2ks are quite stiff stock, so I hope you're used to that. TTC Tracks are annoying downtown. If you look at the Honda crash pictures on the site you'll notice a lot of people mention that they crash their car within the first two months of ownership. The car demands respect. In most cases it can do what you need it to do, but you may not be ready to handle what it gives you.

I've owned the car for not even 2 months now, and everyday I push the car around turns a lil more and a lil more to see how sideways I can get the rear without spinning. It's fun stuff.

7k launches are hard to get the guts to do as well, but you get used to it.

I am also used to modifying my car quite extensively engine wise to extract the most hp out of the car but to be honest, there's no point with the S2k. It is such an efficient motor from Honda, that unless you're doing a turbo or supercharger you'll only gain single digit increases in hp for triple digit costs. (some exceptions but is the general rule). So after the purchase, you won't need to do much to it. Just drive.

If you're worried about the room... ask yourself how much do you presently use your backseats in your integra, and would you be able to live with say 50% of the trunk space day in and out?? If not, then you'll love the S2k.

With 91 octane, the s2k will get slightly better/the same gas mileage than my v6 accord. (with occasional vtec runs)

This forum is also a bonus too... people are quite knowledgable I find for the most part. Obviously some aren't, and you have to double check what you read first but you can tell the people who know what' they're talking about. Hey, atleast everyone uses full sentences, and keeps the internet lingo to a minimum for the most part here; unlike some forums. I hate my accord forum. The useless chatter, and horrible advice is quite abundant.

The S2K community is great. I hope to see you in it soon !
Don't hesitate to come out to one of the events btw !!
Old 05-28-2009, 01:35 PM

you gotta love the s. you wont even worry about your wife or her purse after!
Old 05-28-2009, 05:08 PM

There was a point where the S was our daily driver. (the original DD was totaled) but surprisingly it kept up. The trunk swallowed all the groceries and shopping bags. Also the car's not so long that popping stuff in and out of the trunk is no problem.
It definitely DEFINITELY gets under your skin and you'll love it! The rev of the engines became sweet siren calls to the wife as well! Trust me it's worth the wait since you've saved up for it...TWICE! Take your time, find the right car/spec for you. don't just jump on any old deal.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:32 PM

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts

This car is fantastic. Hands down. I have never found space to be an issue. If you are looking to haul 4x8 sheets of plywood or rolls of sod, this car is not for you. If you want seating for 5-7 people, this car is not for you.
But if you want a machine that makes you smile from ear to ear and makes your heart race everytime you floor that right pedal, this car is for you.

And dont worry about your girlfriend and her purse. She can keep it with her in the cabin, beside her or on the floor. And if she complains about the lack of space for her and her purse...get a thinner girlfriend.

If there was a car that came close to the soul that Italian sports cars have...this would be it.

Now go get one.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:35 PM

Thanks for the response guys,
much appreciated.

Yeah, this will be my 2nd time saving up. Hopefully, I will get enough this time and not have to pay off school..lol

Anyone know when the right time to buy to get a deal would be?

I do notice the price for s2k's drop a lil bit during winter?
Old 05-28-2009, 07:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can keep the integra as backup, definately get the S.

Biggest thing I miss is cargo and seat space....I carried a love seat and finished half my basement with my old itr as a hauler.

Biggest bonus is the attention you'll get (assuming you like it), especially if GPW

Also, to answer your question, spring and summer is when you will see inflated prices. Since our dollar is gaining strength, do some research on importing...there is a sticky in our section.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:02 PM

Just get it! You could never be unhappy with an S. It like that super hot model girlfriend thats a bitch but wicked in bed, she'll alway have you crawling back for more no matter how mad she gets you! lol. honestly when purchasing take your time (unlike me) I bought the first one I wen to see and in the very beginning of spring for about 12k more than I should of, but I still have a huge smile on my face everytime I get into it. I've been in several 2000hp+ drag cars that i've help build and I was still satisfied with the power and handling of the S.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Owning an S in Ontario (GTA)?