Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

OK, the MDX is on order..but the 4Runner has caught my eye

Old 11-08-2002 | 07:37 PM

Old 11-08-2002 | 07:39 PM
Former Moderator

Bring it on!

Old 11-08-2002 | 08:43 PM
Former Moderator

Holy Crap!!

I thought the 4Runner was Huge!! but beside the Pilot it looks small, now the Pilot beside the Hummer it looks like a CRV!!!

Who the hell needs something that big.

I know you love the Pilot, Vince recoomended it as well, It just doesnt do it for me, I just can't explain it..

In all fairness that is the worst looking 4runner, the Limited looks a million times better..
Old 11-11-2002 | 04:56 AM

I will not say anything against the 4Runner because I will be getting a Tundra in a few years, but seeing it next to the Pilot makes me think the MDX is a lot more SUV, sorry Mike.
Old 11-11-2002 | 07:14 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Well Mikey and I went on a test drive bonanza this weekend and the 4runner was it.

This is far more truck than it is SUV, however it has the extra seating and cargo capacity. Plus the V8 is dead sexy shit. I never thought I'd street race a truck, however there was a jeep with HUGE monster truck tires that I smoked and some POS sunfire geek heh. It was a testdrive, and acceleration is excellent.

I don't care what the magazines say, its faster than 8 seconds to 60..no question.

Its nimble, surprisingly nimble for its size and weight. The feeling compared to the Pilot is very close. I did push this thing into a corner pretty fast and it held up fine, better than the pilot. I suspect it has to do with its Xreas suspension.

Internally the model we took out wasn't as pretty as the pilot, but it doesn't have the damn shift on the column crap (its not the 70's) and it has digital read outs in the middle of the center pod..very nice.

The amazing thing to me was, I was hauling around in this thing like a total jackass and it didn't move the gas gauge. We thought it was broken or full of crap, but no...it was dead on compared to the digital read.

Also took it over some massive potholes, massive potholes heh. Also some hills that I was sure in a less capable vehicle, we'd have killed it. How we would have explained that I dunno.

The ride is great, you feel connected to the road, you have great vision from being high up and the seats are incredible. These aren't the same seats as in the tundra. The cockpit is also bigger than the pilot, which I found huge. So for me this is a big plus. I wanted to love the Tundra but with my girlish frame I just wasn't comfortable. Its big enough for a waife like Quad-D, but not for me.

No third row seat, who the hell needs the shit anyhow. I don't have kids..I don't want kids in my car so they can ing walk as far as I'm concerned. This has a very neat shelf in the back that you can stack stuff on and still store underneath. For me this is great, I can heave a couple of dogs in the back and still put stuff underneath, I can still haul a couple of goofs in the back for good measure.

Anyhow, the body styling of the base model sucks, its kinda Element like or Avalanche like, but not cute like the Element...nor freakishly overdone like the Avalanche. I'd have to get the colour matched bumpers...no question in my mind.

Here's the final thing that sells this truck to me. The towing capacity is much as the Tundra with the bigger hitch (7000 lbs). Majorly important to me. I want to be able to tow my car (trailer) and I want to be able to tow a REAL trailer. This will do it and still carry me in comfort and happiness.

Again I'm flip flopping, but this is WAY more vehicle than the Pilot / MDX. I'd never worry about being in a stuck situation with this thing.

Ian take this back to the plant and make it so will ya? haha. Make me a Pilot with some balls and towing ability.
Old 11-11-2002 | 07:35 AM

Well DoGMaN I have to agree with you, the 4Runner is way more truck than SUV and the Pilot is way more SUV than truck! I can see why it may be a good fit for you, but somehow I just see Mike in an MDX or say a Lexus version of the 4Runner.

So DoGMaN is thinking V8 4Runner and not a truck, hmmmm, sorry mate, here we part paths in our second vehicle likes. I got to have me a pickup.
Old 11-11-2002 | 07:37 AM

So Mindcore, and problems backing out of the deal or is the Acura dealer good to work with?

How soon can you get a 4Runner Limited?
Old 11-11-2002 | 07:47 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Yeah Mike is kinda bitchlike sometimes..but he's into this truck

I haven't signed anything yet! I'll take the tundra (non-trd) out and give it another shot before I do anything.

I did really like this 4runner though.
Old 11-11-2002 | 08:06 AM

When I took the Tundra out for a test drive two weekends ago I did not see a new 4Runner at the dealer, but I have checked them out in detail on my other forum (tundrasolutions.com) and in the Toyota web site. I suspect it is going to be a big hit for Toyota and I can appreciate the attraction.

I think it is interesting you dislike the Tundra for one of the reasons I do like it. The interior sure seems like it should be bigger, no doubt. For me it is a stretch to consider a full size truck, so I like the interior, it does not make me feel like I'm going to get lost in there all by myself. I can see why you might want a bit more room. So Vince, did you really feel like the 4Runner was bigger on the interior than the Tundra?

And for those who do not understand the reference to Quad-D, that was a potential new handle for me, until I woke up and decided I should deal with the automatic and buy a Tundra V8. You see the Dodge Dakota has the V8, enough towing capacity and a 5-speed 4x4. So the Quad-D was Deranged Doug Does Dakota.

Now about that girlish frame.....

Old 11-11-2002 | 08:19 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Sorry..my back is killing me heh

Yes I did feel the 4runner was much bigger in the legroom dept. It doesn't have the headroom the Pilot has but I was more than comfortable in it. I could wear a helmet no problem.

The tunnel is larger than the tundra. I like legroom and being able to the space the old legs out comfortably..and I couldn't do it in the Tundra. The 4runner however is perfect for my legs, lots of room, no rubbing on the console. That is one thing about the Nissan I hate. I always rub my legs on the damn 4x4 stick. Drives me nuts.

If I get this for Gail, she has the security of a bigger vehicle that she likes, with the height and 4x4, skid controls etc...and the towing ability that I want. Makes me think about getting rid of the van, keeping the truck as a beater...buying an m5 and then sleeping in the back of that when she kicks me out.

Perfect.

Quick Reply: OK, the MDX is on order..but the 4Runner has caught my eye