Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

New Guy Saying Hi

Old 03-21-2012, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy Saying Hi

Hi All...new guy here checking out the forum. Looks like a well organized spread with good bits of info!

Don't own an S2000 yet (on the hunt) Not looking to spend more than $14k, any of you seasoned owners have any advice for a newb? Anything I should be looking out for (or avoiding?) Any help is greatly appreciated!

Currently rolling a low and slow 58 VW Beetle. Fun little car, turns lots of heads but I've had my fun with it and now the itch for a quick little convertible has got me thinking time for a change!

A few pics for those interested..

So..If anyone has any S2K advice for a new guy please speak up! (or if you know of any good clean cars for sale...)
Old 03-21-2012, 11:58 AM

LOVE THE BUG! lol looks nice... s2 is a amazing car and i swear every year when i pull it out (the car LOL) it feeelsss SIK! goes to show u what a real sports car is supposed to feel like. u can find a decent one for 14 i think go for more 2002+ with the glass window a must and lot of the problems are fixed after 2002.. coming from a guy who drives a 2000 S2000 happy hunting
Old 03-21-2012, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by ravi1987
LOVE THE BUG! lol looks nice... s2 is a amazing car and i swear every year when i pull it out (the car LOL) it feeelsss SIK! goes to show u what a real sports car is supposed to feel like. u can find a decent one for 14 i think go for more 2002+ with the glass window a must and lot of the problems are fixed after 2002.. coming from a guy who drives a 2000 S2000 happy hunting
dont specifically look for a 2002 plus ... look for a good condition ap1 regardless of the year because at the end of the day you can always swap in a glass rear window soft top for very cheap.

but unless your importing it from the states i doubt your going to find a clean ap1 with low k for 14... decent one like you stated sounds more like it!

GL with the search!!!!... and as for low and slow with that bug .... wait till you come out to a couple of meets ahahah theres a handfull of us including myself who are lower then that.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:31 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,166 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Welcome. What part of Southern Ontario are you in?

You'll find the site has a TON of info. Plenty of people will have opinions about what years, colours (lol) etc. to avoid or look for but ultimately it's your car. Do some searching through the TSBs, in Under the Hood, etc. and you'll find some helpful information.
You may want to consider importing to save some money/get something newer or with lower miloeage. My first S was Canadian and I could've saved money by going across the border, but didn't want the hassle. Plus the owner & car came highly recommended by board members. Second time around I went to the US and the experience was postive. I know of a nice Berlina Black AP2 that has been given lots of TLC. Can't remember mileage or price, but I can ask.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:21 AM

Welcome and happy hunting!
Old 03-22-2012, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!!
I'm in Barrie now, moved here from London a few years ago...does Barrie still count as Southern Ontario??
It would appear cdn pricing is a bit higher than US, I've imported cars into the country before so maybe this is the way to go...although I am impatient and anxious to get behind the wheel! (maybe this will change next week when the temps drop again?!)
The S2000 will be a weekend toy, not a daily driver much like the bug so "decent" will work for me..I can tinker on the car and not have to worry about how I'll get to work in the morning if it's not back together in time. I've got a lot of reading to do in this place so I'll get back to it!
Thanks for the advice and help..I may post the odd "what about this one?" post in here, I'll be looking for some advice from the keen eye vetrans in here who know what to look out for!
Thanks again!
Chris
Old 03-22-2012, 10:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome aboard, you made a wise decision
Old 03-22-2012, 11:36 AM

Nice bug! My pops has a '63 although his is all original, he's not much into modding anymore. I still cannot believe he went from a '69 Camaro SS/RS 427 4 speed to that... Oh well - he pocketed some good money at least.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by SiReal
Nice bug! My pops has a '63 although his is all original, he's not much into modding anymore. I still cannot believe he went from a '69 Camaro SS/RS 427 4 speed to that... Oh well - he pocketed some good money at least.

Yeah..the bug is a funny little car. Fast it's not...but any car shows it goes to it always draws a crowd...everyone has a Beetle story they have to share with you and the ladies..jesus, if I knew then what I know now about these old Beetles I would have owned one before I was married with kids! (...or...I'd probably be a regular "client" down at the local STD clinic..)

We had a 67 Camaro RS Convertible when I was a kid..I'm sure my dad wishes it was still tucked away in the garage.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome!

I hope you find the car you are looking for. For $14k it will be a hard find, but dont stop looking.

Quick Reply: New Guy Saying Hi