Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

My new little project car!

Old 11-12-2002, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new little project car!

Yay!

Finally I have a little beater car that I can afford to play around with, and at the future, sell it for more than I paid for!

1987 Corolla GT-S. RWD, 2 Door Hatchback. Black with a messy and dirty interior. Minor rust, nothing unfixable. However, rust under the driverside door annoyes me.

All electronic works except the radio that was gutted.
Power steering, power mirrors, manual scroll action window, cruise control . 14 inch alloys baby, bling bling!
. Funny little car to drive around to work and get shit done instead of driving Bon's car and my own car. BTW: My car can prabably fit 2 sets of wheels down for track or autocross!

I made a fool out of myself when I couldn't figure out why the fuel door wouldn't open (same thing happen to bon's car) until some lady came and pulled the trigger harder, and pop goes the door.

I dont' know if I have LSD on that car, prabably not! Oh, and the engine has 267,000km on it! Still running strong!

Now I have a few questions

1. Minor Rust spots - how do I fix?
Get a hard clay / sand paper, sand sourrounding area, then prime? What kind of body primer?

2. Coolant - where can I find some "red" coolant, what's the benefit of this over green coolant?

If anyone cares or interested, I will try to get some pics send to your emails!
Old 11-13-2002, 04:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it is worth, my own two cents:
Once rust has started it is nearly impossible to kill it and then paint over it so it never returns. There are some products out there that will help you extend the time the final coat of paint looks good, but nothing short of cutting out all the infected metal will be a permanent solution.

With that being said, I suggest you look for a rust inhibitor, in my area we call it navel jelly but essentially it is a rust inhibitor. Someplace like Canadian Tire is sure to sell some brand of this product type.

You would wire brush and sand the rusted area to the best of your ability/patience. Then usually wipe this almost liquid like stuff on and let sit for a day or two. Then start applying you primer coat, and finish with the top color coats.

Pearls of wisdom:
- the prep work before you pick up a paint brush is more than half the total time it will take to do the job, don't rush the prep work
- do not rush the process, let coats of paint dry for all the time the instructions say and I usually double it, the dryer the better before adding a new coat
- you will get a more durable finish if you put more thinner coats of paint on than fewer thicker coats
- follow all instructions on paint cans and verify you final coat is made to go over the type of paint your primer is

Good luck and congrats on the project!
Old 11-13-2002, 05:43 AM

Hey cool! I have been looking for an 86-87 Corolla GT-S (AE86) for a while... I found one in amazing shape for $2700 in the autotrader, but the person never returns calls...

It's a fun car to boot around in...
Old 11-13-2002, 10:55 AM

Hey I dug up an old video I had of a 3-rotor conversion on an AE86... pushing high boost...

Watch it take off from around 100km/h...

www.2BoredITGuys.com/media/3rotorAE86.asf

Peace...
Old 11-13-2002, 11:30 AM

Rahul

I saw the $2700 GT-S you said, it wasn't as nice as you think it is. The rust is worst then the one I have now, and the engine/transmittion is about dead. The owner sold it for $3100 at the end. Crazy people!

Doug,

I tried looking for rust inhabitors, there is one call "Rust Killer" which is both a rust remover and a coat of primer. Which brand have you used before and came out with a good result?

Should I do *every single part* that has rust?

ex: Door, fenders, rear wheel arches, hatch door and hatch locks

What about under-body?
Old 11-13-2002, 11:39 AM

Really?? Hmmm I guess he sold it before I called, maybe that's why he didn't return any calls.

Oh well - did you see the video???
Old 11-13-2002, 11:44 AM

Yeah I saw the video!
Lol, funny japanese guys...

I think there is another 86 with a S2000 engine / tranny swap, but I couldn't find the video for you.

Anyhow, I am going to try to fix the car best to my abilities to the nominal state, and then decide if i am going to keep or sell!

Rahul, if you want a GT-S, I am on a constant look out for them, give me a message and I will see what I find.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:25 PM

well, I've got a budget of $1500 for any beater toys now... being capped off by the woman...

lol...
Old 11-14-2002, 04:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by comets
[B]I tried looking for rust inhibitors, there is one call "Rust Killer" which is both a rust remover and a coat of primer.
Old 11-14-2002, 06:51 PM

Doug,

Thanks for all your info,

but with a closer inspection, we found a rust hole in the engine bay! What an ugly sight.

As well, the bottom side frames are started to peel, which means cutting and re welding. So sanding and priming won't be too useful long term.

Anyhow, I will prabably use your methods on the wheel arches, and fenders.

As for the rust killer, I haven't really purchased it yet, because I don't have an empty garage to work on the body.

The car seems to be worked on before, repainted, cut and weld on the side, however rust is coming back to haunt the car.

In sum, the car will need a lot of attention from me. And a lot of $ If I am to keep the car.

Quick Reply: My new little project car!