Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

my buying experience with the s2000 (Toronto) and what happened...

Old 10-19-2002, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if you guys remember me (probably not) - but a while ago I was asking advice on buying an S2000.

Just as a matter of principal, I always expect to buy a car for a few bucks under MSRP - no matter what car it is. After all, it is my hard earned money and I want to think I got someone of a "deal".

Anyway, I finally decided that last week I would grab an S2000, a 2002 model prefferably as it is the end of the year and I wanted the glass window.

I basically called up most Honda dealers in Ontario, and visted most in the GTA. Nobody wanted to move on MSRP and basically treated me like a moron. One guy in Toronto even went as far as to offer me a 2001 for (his quote) "$48,500 - its MSRP but you will save the PDI."... Yeah, give me a break.

2002 were $48,500, and 2003 were $48,500. No deal on the 2002, the only deal is that you get it earlier. However, I was really insulted because I know - especially in Toronto, you can even pick up new boxster S' (with the rear glass window) for about 2grand under MSRP.

So - I ended up with the picture below - and paid $3000 (yes $3000!) under MSRP and only 200$ for registration. No PDI. This is a 2003 model, and one in demand at that! I spent a little more money, but the dealership treated me like a human.

Yup, I lost out on the best user forum on the internet (s2ki, benzworld.org totally sucks) - but I left the dealer feeling good about myself that I could a deal (heck, maybe I didn't in the overall picture, s2000 sure would be more fun to drive), and didn't feel hijacked by the arrogant Honda dealers.

Just thought I would rant a bit - but would like to mention that S2Ki has been a wealth of information. You guys really do have the best member group on the net.

PS - I would have taken a 2002 for 500$ under MSRP!!!

Old 10-19-2002, 06:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nice!!

and good for you for sticking to your principles......

audi/MB/bmw always treat their customers like human beings.....

can you imagine if a honda exec read this? i'm sure he/she would be scratching their heads...especially since you spent MORE money elsewhere....

we recently just got our first MB ('03 C32) and the purchasing experience was very gratifying (even though i paid MSRP)......there's just "something" about the way they talk to you and treat you....

dare i say, the difference is like blue collar and white collar......

regards and enjoy!!

nimesh
Old 10-19-2002, 06:28 AM

TKG - The C32 is a sweet car. I actually test drove one. The C32 was a few bucks more, and I was an inch away from buying one. The power is just addicive!

However - at the end of the day I just wanted to have the new body style of the E-Class. Hopefully it lasts for about 5 years... because if the markets stay as they are I will be in this e-class for at least 10
Old 10-19-2002, 06:34 AM

Great car you picked instead, I'm sure you'll love it.

Not sure how you got so screwed over by the Honda dealers, but I've called recently to get a price on cars for a few people and I was easily able to get 3k down.

Specifically Midland and Collingwood. Toronto isn't the place for a deal.

I also told them what they paid for the car and what I was willing to pay and would do the deal today...I'm really annoying and think they give it to me just to get me to shut up.

Thats the 320 isn't it? My wife likes that...must avoid this thread.
Old 10-19-2002, 06:38 AM

I think they must of thought I could not afford it or something. When I showed up at the dealers I was driving a rented toyota echo (yes I know... I know)

Yup it is the E320. Could not see spending the extra $10k for the bigger engine in a car like this, especially when that is really the only difference (besides the airmatic suspension - which hikes up the car when parked and looks ugly!)

It was a big change from such a roadholding machine as the s2000, but I will suffer for a few years
Old 10-19-2002, 06:44 AM

Congrats on the new purchase! I commend you for sticking to your principles, it must have been hard. I think you can get a deal but i agree with you, the Honda dealers have the worst salespeople!!

I remember going to Pfaff for a test drive on a 911 which costs twice that of the S2000 and was treated so much better than the Honda people. Went to Ferrari of Ontario and again was treated so much better. Why are the Honda dealers so arrogant?? I have to say though, Castle Honda was an exception. Good friendly people.
Old 10-19-2002, 07:16 AM

Honda loses out again, when will they figure it out?

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I went through something very similar, but was lucky enough in the end to get mine under MSRP.

I think you will be very happy with your purchase though .
Old 10-19-2002, 07:17 AM

Matrix, is that a red doberman? If so... my dog mead is the exact same!!
Old 10-19-2002, 07:21 AM

Yes, it is . That is Maya behind the wheel. They are great dogs.
Old 10-19-2002, 07:23 AM

Great dogs indeed!!

Maya has good tastes in F1 cars by the way

Quick Reply: my buying experience with the s2000 (Toronto) and what happened...