Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Malaysian GP

Old 03-21-2004, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Malaysian GP

What a great race! Stayed up until 4am to watch it(Yes, thats late for me) and it was all worth it.

Button with his first podium ever. He was solid all race, matching the pace of JPM but couldn't make any ground to catch him for 2nd. Nevertheless, i'm very happy with a 3rd.

What happened to Alonso? I know he was on a 2 stopper, but he was awfully slow all race long. Even Sato was lapping better then him at certain points of the race...

MS with yet another win. Gawd, i am so tired of seeing Ferrari win. Does michael ever have a problem? Geeez, when is the last time he has had a mechanical breakdown? He is obviously an excellent driver, but man, he has the best luck too.

Can't wait for Bahrain!!!
Old 03-21-2004, 09:41 AM

He's only an excellent driver because he hasn't got to work with any traffic!

Hisses and boohs to Schumie, he's making the sport very boring.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree.. good race.. and even better for Ferrari fans. Definitely showed last years Michelin tire advantage was an unfair advantage.

Although , I think our boy Jense inherited that 3rd place podium due to attrition. He would not have placed if Renault did not screw up, Mercedes engine did not let go and if Barichello chose a softer compound. BAR would continue to have podium finishes if these situations continue to happen.

I
Old 03-21-2004, 10:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hyper
He's only an excellent driver because he hasn't got to work with any traffic!
Old 03-21-2004, 10:14 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by s2ksimon

Although , I think our boy Jense inherited that 3rd place podium due to attrition. He would not have placed if
Old 03-21-2004, 10:19 AM

JB did not inherit any spots.
so then if Alonso , Kimi and Barrichello did not have any screw up, JB would have out driven them ? That's a big NO way in my books..

when Jenson Button starts turning "fastest laps of races" then I'll believe he deserves podium finishes instead of "inheriting them"
Old 03-21-2004, 11:26 AM

Simon,

You're too critical of JB. Sure he doesn't show the raw talent and youth of Alonso and Kimi or the surprising speed of Webber. JB has matured as driver and is doing a consistent and smart drive.

Right now that's what BAR needs, to have consistent points every race. Results breeds team confidence, which breeds more results. Let's see if this podium get's the unlucky and unrealized potential monkey off his back. Europe will show if JB is ready to show some personal speed, if he has any. This year BAR has a 3rd-4th constructor title car, so JB and Sato have competitive chance every race.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:21 PM

Absolutely! One thing i have learned by racing myself is its much more important to pull off smart consistant lap times rather than the occasional burst. That is what ultimately separates Micheal Schumi from the rest. He is by far and away the most consistant driver. Yes, he is always faster, but he can do it in so many different circumstances like weather conditions or car setups or even when he's not the fastest on the track. I think JB is learning that as a driver and i believe Montoya is starting to get that. A perfect example of that is his reaction to RB blocking him last night. Instead of being pissed and challenging RB, he stayed back and raced smart...

Kimi never screwed up, JB passed him in the pits which is part of racing which is the same for RB. Yes, Alonso screwed up his chances in qualifying but again, thats part of racing and also he showed no speed during the race. I wish had a lap time chart to prove my point, but JB was easily faster than Alonso during the race even when Alonso's fuel was low....
Old 03-21-2004, 03:28 PM

I'm just happy that reliability seems to have really come up this year, and its making the race even more exciting.

Nothing like seeing someone blow up with 15 laps to go and then shove some Jakartan hehe

Great race, I hope the rest of the season shapes up to be as eventful.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:27 PM

Nothing like seeing someone blow up with 15 laps to go and then shove some Jakartan hehe

I know.. could've been worse.. could've been that Scottsman instead of the Frustrated Finn

i need a smoke.........

Quick Reply: Malaysian GP