Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

A little OT, but does such a product exist?

Old 01-19-2006, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little OT, but does such a product exist?

If I want to play MP3's off of my laptop, thru my HK AVR135 surround sound receiver, I need to move the computer to close by, and connect the stereo cables (RCA type).

Is there a product out there that can do this wirelessly? An receiver plug that goes into my HK, and a small transmitter that plugs into my laptop? So now I don't have to move my computer.

Does such a thing exist, and if so, where could I get one and are they any good?
Old 01-19-2006, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure it exists.

Check this out, it will even do video and images and mp3's....

http://cgi.ebay.ca/PRISMIQ-Media-Player-wi...1QQcmdZViewItem

Or this..

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Actiontec-Wireless-Digi...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/D-Link-DSM-320-Wireless...bayphotohosting

These just go over your standard network, no need for a special transmitter.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:08 PM

interesting products james, but here's a question.

THese things use my wireless networking to stream music into my home theatre. And I want to listen to this music while I surf the net.

Is it possible to stream music thru wireless, and surf the net via LAN cable at the same time? or will my computer flag a conflict?
Not to mention these things are pretty pricey (at future shop anyway $299+)
I don't need all the bells and whistles of video capability, I just wanna play my Mp3's wirelessly...thoughts?
Old 01-19-2006, 03:18 PM

Yeah they are pricey for the video ones, the audio only ones are cheaper but you would have to go used I think now, unless someone knows of a cheap one, I'm looking too.

You can surf the web don't worry. mp3's take next to no bandwidth, no issues.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:25 PM

Just found this James, looks like exactly what I need

http://www.apple.com/ca/airportexpress/

My question wasn't bandwidth related, its hardware related. Can my computer upload MP3's wirelessly, while at the same time, surf the net using my ethernet?
Old 01-19-2006, 03:29 PM

Sure, but it would probably upload the MP3's through the ethernet assuming your ethernet cable is plugged into the wireless router.

Yeah but that thing is not cheap, you can find one for like $50 instead of $150
Old 01-19-2006, 03:41 PM

agreed, and I just read the following customer review at Futureshop

This is an excellent product, packed with features and stability. However it is not very 'network friendly'. In order to use this device, you must have an Apple AirPort network. It cannot integrate into an existing wireless network of another brand

From the sounds of it, I need to have a Aiport network set up, which I don't, so I won't be able to tap in.

As far as ethernet vs wireless goes - I still think you don't understand my question. Right now, my laptop is hooked up DSL via ethernet cable to a wireless router, which is hooked up to the DSL modem. I don't use wireless that often due to reliablity problems.

If I got one of these media network adapters, when I bring up the available wireless network page, I'll see my wireless router, as well as the media device. Say I connect wirelessly to the media device. Will there be some sort of hardware conflict, because my computer is uploading mp3s wirelessly, while I surf the net via ethernet?
Old 01-19-2006, 03:52 PM

I understood, there's no problem with that, you get 2 ip addresses.... but that's not exactly how it works...

This wireless device will not be something you see on your laptop as a wireless device. The wireless device connects to your wireless router just like it was another PC. And then through the network it connects to your laptop, if you are connected wired or wirelessly through your laptop there is no problem.

Yeah and apple can be a biatch about some of that stuff.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:59 PM

yeah, that APPLE thing would have been perfect.

I just wanted something small, and a little cheaper - I don't want a media centre thingy....I just want some sort of tranmitter/receiver setup.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:04 PM

Just buy this than
http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=457

But if you want a cheaper unit just get one off ebay man

Quick Reply: A little OT, but does such a product exist?