Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

light swirl mark remover

Old 09-22-2013, 04:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default light swirl mark remover

Ok, I know I have posted this before but cannot find the post.
I have been using Zaino for years but have a noticed subtle change in formula. It requires too much aggressive elbow grease to remove which just ends up adding more micro scratches. My NFR paint is fairly good, just not up to my high level of scrutiny.
Last year I received a porter cable 7424xp and lake country polishing pads for Christmas. I never bought any machine applicable polish or finishing wax

Somewhere in Mississauga there is a shop that sells top quality polishes. I can't remember the name.
Can someone remind me of the name of this shop? I also need a recommended high grit swirl/micro scratch remover as well as a finishing sealer or wax.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fin man
Ok, I know I have posted this before but cannot find the post.
I have been using Zaino for years but have a noticed subtle change in formula. It requires too much aggressive elbow grease to remove which just ends up adding more micro scratches. My NFR paint is fairly good, just not up to my high level of scrutiny.
Last year I received a porter cable 7424xp and lake country polishing pads for Christmas. I never bought any machine applicable polish or finishing wax

Somewhere in Mississauga there is a shop that sells top quality polishes. I can't remember the name.
Can someone remind me of the name of this shop? I also need a recommended high grit swirl/micro scratch remover as well as a finishing sealer or wax.
I go to www.eshine.ca (i've had some sub-par experience with packaging and damage and non-stock products) but overall they're good.
I've also used www.autoobsessed.com and they were good as well.

I've been using the Optimum product line and have for 5 years now but I recently purchased there new line and have yet to comment but all my research shows that it does a very good job. Menzerna is a great product, just need to familiarize yourself with all there products, some are for extremely hard paint (Mercedes and some domestics) and it's a little much for our car from a cut compound prespective, and they command a premium (but it's well deserved). I'm also now using a microfibre pad which has different characteristics then a foam pad and therefore different procedures.

For your paint you don't need much to get it back, I suggest a polish compound and use a polish pad and see what that does for you. Wolfgang/Optimum/Menzerna/Meguirs/Klasse AIO/Pinnacle are all good products.

To make life easier I'm leaning towards Klasse All in One and it's just that, clean/polish/protect, it's a solid product.

What colour pads do you have?
Old 09-22-2013, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Dom,
I bought a pre-determined starter package that included the backing plate for the porter cable.
The pads I got were White , Blue , Orange , Black.

I meant low grit or high number polish in my first post. The scratches are so minor and they are not gouges that penetrate the paint thickness. I wholeheartedly agree that all Honda paint is really soft and susceptible to chips and micro scratches.
The Wolfgang product, I have looked at on the internet but an 8 oz bottle isn't much product.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by fin man
Hey Dom,
I bought a pre-determined starter package that included the backing plate for the porter cable.
The pads I got were White , Blue , Orange , Black.

I meant low grit or high number polish in my first post. The scratches are so minor and they are not gouges that penetrate the paint thickness. I wholeheartedly agree that all Honda paint is really soft and susceptible to chips and micro scratches.
The Wolfgang product, I have looked at on the internet but an 8 oz bottle isn't much product.
I understood your post as just that, a high grit polish or fine polish.

I would get a 8oz bottle to try it and see if you like it, I recommend that you narrow down to two choices and buy the smallest quantity of those. Then test them back to back to see if you like one more then the other.

For your issues, a polish is more than enough, you can get a polish and above that would be a finish compound. Here's Menzerna's line:

Orange = Cut Pad (Cut compound/heavy Polish)
White = Light Polish (Polish)
Black = Finish (Polish/Waxes/Sealants)
Blue = Ultra Finish Pad (Waxes/Sealants)

Some Polishes have filler in it to mask scratches, which will wash out after a short time.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:28 PM

And always start off with the least amount of cut, use 10% isopropyl alcohol to mist down and wipe and get a good view of the results.

If you need more cut, move up a notch.

IP2000 is expensive but also very well accepted in the community. Plus it's more versatile to cut deeper depending on the amount of pressure and pad you use.

Maybe move up to a SF4000