Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Just got word from Sal at Zaino

Old 06-02-2003, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just got word from Sal at Zaino

Sal from Zainobros.com just recently emailed me as of course I could not sleep again last nite, pondering this z6, s100 issue thanks to you Vince. (yes we tend to blame you for everything) heh heh heh

What I gathered from his explanation, I'd like to share with you simply the tidbits.

He has told me applying s100 on top of multiple coats of zaino & z6 spray is BAD !

Of course he is going to say that as no manufacturer is going to advertise a competitor. Is Bill Gates going to advertise Solaris ?

Supposedly what we witnessed in Vince's and Nimesh's car , was seeing silicone oil giving that extra shine.

Most other detail sprays are water, propanol and silicone oil.

Sal has said they will leave a film on Zaino and detract from the optical clarity. (This I found hard to believe, as you should see Vince's and Nimesh's car) no sh1t !!!

They will also make your car more prone to dust pickup. Plus the dust will stick to your paint finish. Dust sticking to paint = Swirl Marks & fine scratches. (This worries me however)

Could this be a vendor simply trying to maintain and continually push his z6 product , or does he have a convincing argument.

Personally I tend to disagree with Sal and think the "wettest looking" cars were the ones with multiple layers of Zaino , then z6 and then s100 on top of that.

Like I said, I prefer s100, but of course it's open up for debate.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by s2ksimon
[B]He
Old 06-02-2003, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ahahahhaaaa, Nimesh you crack me up ...

Simon, I am still going to try the S100...it just worked too well not to try. I I end up seeing more dust sticking to the car (and I will see it quickly ), a wash with Dawn should fix it up....
Old 06-02-2003, 08:53 AM

Marco - that's my point exactly , simply too good NOT to try it..

However, an after thought

carnuba melts at approx 200-250F
Zaino melts at around 450F say
and on a hot day, your car hood gets to about 300F ,

so with that s100 which is carnuba based on a hot day, it could very well melt down to the coats of z5 no ?

kinda risky having that s100 melt down ?

Let me know when you are going to do so and I'll come by your place and give you a hand

thanks
simon
Old 06-02-2003, 09:04 AM

That's why I think the Zaino base is still the way to go...it should still protect the car when the S100 is gone.

I will probably try it this weekend, I will give you a shout.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:11 AM

I think he's mostly full of shit.

I live on a dirt road, and I did a white glove test (don't even ask).

No measurable dust on the car period, if I Z6 and drive away its never this dust free, I often stop at the end of my road and Cali Duster.

If it was just the silicone oil giving the shine, would that not have depleated by now? The car is in a dark garage and even with no lights on in it I can see the car reflecting the ambient lights. This never really happens with Zaino.

If its bad I don't wanna be right! hehe
Old 06-02-2003, 09:13 AM

Old 06-02-2003, 09:27 AM

For me, I would always put a good foundation of Zaino on before I did this, I think thats the key to geting the optical clarity that we all love and trust.

None of us know how this stuff works without the Zaino anyhow, I see no need to try it without either.

Oh yeah, bugs come off a bit easier, quick swipe of MF towel (dry) and off they came. Gross yet satisfying.

Could be a show winning glaze.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:35 AM

Vince - "show winning glaze" , well said , I love it !!

I can see it now.. you putting on the "deaf act" as people stare in disbelief !
Old 06-02-2003, 09:37 AM

I have been using S100 for a year on top of my synthetic polish (Finish First, a Zaino competitor) and my car is always the shiniest car at our get togethers. I can see no problems with this approach. I haven't noticed my car being a dust magnet, either. I do like to use my California Duster and a quick detailing spray to keep the finish clean and I'm happy with that approach.

Maybe I don't need to say this, but the resultant shine is more a product of the preparation than the result of the finishing wax/polish.

The only drawback of using S100 is that it needs to be waxed about every 4 to 6 weeks. I knew this before I applied the first coat, but it goes on soooo easy, it's no big deal. I love the look and I also love the feel.

I would expect Sal to give you an answer like this. He can't control anyone else's products, so he can't recommend that you use them on top of his product. That doesn't mean that it won't work or that it doesn't look better. I would say try it and see if you like the results. If you don't like it, wash it off with Dawn and you're done with it.

Have fun,
Bob

Quick Reply: Just got word from Sal at Zaino