Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

July 1st Mosport DDT lapping event

Old 06-17-2006, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

June 23th upcoming Friday - Prepay deadline
Old 06-17-2006, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Balzz,Jun 17 2006, 10:08 PM
You only do lapping days with open passing?
Yes. If I want to get stuck in traffic I can drive the 401 for no additional charge. If there is no group where the drivers are experienced enough to pass and be passed safely anywhere on track when the opportunity presents itself to do so then I don't want to be in it. This is a beginner event and having tracked at least 100 days in the past 5 years it just doesn't interest me enough.

If you are a beginner with little or no track experience who hasn't learned to use mirrors and comprehend who else is on track and when you will probably pass them or be passed by them then this looks like a good event to gain experience and loosen your death grip.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tugz_S2K,Jun 17 2006, 10:25 PM
"Passing is STRICTLY prohibited except on the straights, and only when the person in front of you has allowed you by signaling you to pass. We reserve all rights to kick people off the track that are driving dangerously and/or aren't listening to track marshalls. We will be offered corner marshalls in this DDT track lapping."
Yes, I read that. It basically means you are at the mercy of the nincompoop in front of you who may or may not even be paying attention to the fact you are riding his bumper telling him you want to get by and even if he does know you are there you may have to wait 10+ seconds for him to get to a straight so you can pass.

The bottom line is that making passing STRICTLY prohibited appeases the noobs who don't have a clue what's going on or how to give you an inside line and then stay out of your way. I'd be interested in any events you hold which accommodate experienced and trained track drivers.

It all depends on your point of view:

"Open passing for the advanced group with or without point-by anywhere on-track where it is safe to do so." is what I'm looking for. I'd also like to see comparative lap timing, notice not competitive.

My $0.02

PS You should post this in the Racing & Competition forum
Old 06-17-2006, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this open to Subies? Mosport is about 15-20 minutes from me and I just installed my new brakes pads and wouldn't mind getting in on the action. I'm probably between advanced-beginner and intermediate and I love the DDT; for $100 it's worth it.

Also, I understand your point cthree, but not everyone wants to endanger their car just because someone wants to play Michael Schumacher. I know how to use my mirrors and know where the other cars are, but still, I don't trust other drivers to pass cleanly or not crash into me trying to pass on the inside. I can see how you'd find this boring though, especially with your track experience.

I really want to see what effect my alignment settings have made. The STi did pretty well last time I was there with the SAAB club. Sounds like fun to me though.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:12 AM

Thanks for all the points of views,

As the topic stated, This is a signup sheet, kindly open a new thread to express any points of views. Thanks for your co-operation

Mods/Admin, kindly create a "racing/competition/track junkies/motorsports" forum within this Toronto S2000 Owners(regional) forum for all the lapping/autox/racing events please.

Thanks a bunch.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by cthree,Jun 17 2006, 11:25 PM
If you are a beginner with little or no track experience who hasn't learned to use mirrors and comprehend who else is on track and when you will probably pass them or be passed by them then this looks like a good event to gain experience and loosen your death grip.
Unfortunately you won't find lapping events up here with open passing except for test days before regional race weekends. They used to be open to anyone but only registered racers are allowed now.

Most of these lapping days are run without event insurance so I doubt any organizer would allow open passing with the additional risk that brings. Organizers that do purchase event insurance likely will not allow open passing either since insurance for an event with open passing costs significantly more. And what's this inside line stuff, you should be good enough to pass using the outside line.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:48 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by S2KK,Jun 18 2006, 08:12 AM
Thanks for all the points of views,

As the topic stated, This is a signup sheet, kindly open a new thread to express any points of views. Thanks for your co-operation

Mods/Admin, kindly create a "racing/competition/track junkies/motorsports" forum within this Toronto S2000 Owners(regional) forum for all the lapping/autox/racing events please.

Thanks a bunch.
Post your events in the Racing and Competition forum, that's what it's for.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cthree,Jun 18 2006, 09:48 AM
Post your events in the Racing and Competition forum, that's what it's for.
What's wrong with posting it here in the "local" forum?
Old 06-18-2006, 08:13 AM
Administrator

That's what he did, I didn't say it was a problem. He wants a Toronto R&C forum and I told him no. Comprende?
Old 06-18-2006, 08:23 AM
Former Moderator

Hehe Erik's been here less then a week, and he's got the Toronto forum demeanor down pat.

Quick Reply: July 1st Mosport DDT lapping event