Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Improper Exhaust Ticket @commerce Gate

Old 06-13-2004, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

I got a ticket on friday nite at commerce gate for $110 bucks for exhaust being too loud (invidia). Is there some sort of law for this? I'm planning to fight this for sure but need some ideas of what to say in court. He didn't use anything to measure the sound level, he's being very subjective b/c their were so many bikes there that night and I got charged for it. Please give me some idea to fight this.

He first tried to charged me with no seatbelt but a whole bunch of spectators that was standing by watching states that I was wearing my seatbelt and made one of the coplooked like a fool. i think that is why he charged me with the loud exhaust and almost aftermarket headlights too (it's stock).

Also, I have two weeks from the ticket date to book a court appearance right?

thanks,
Old 06-13-2004, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sucks jonny

I think u can just go to the court and tell them its stock

if the pig doesnt show up, they will jsut throw away the ticket. You should always fight it, you got nothing to lose at this point consider an exhaust ticket will not affect your insurance.
Old 06-13-2004, 02:27 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by zzz36
Hi Guys,

I got a ticket on friday nite at commerce gate for $110 bucks for exhaust being too loud (invidia).
Old 06-13-2004, 02:28 PM

also, if you really wanna be prepared for your court date.

simply go to Radio Shack buy a Decibel Level Meter $80.00 CDN and then do a measure of your car.

Then stop by a Harley Dealership and do a decibel level there if they allow you or simply stop a "biker" and ask him.. "hells angels' club located on Eastern Avenue.. dunno if they are still there but ????
Old 06-13-2004, 02:36 PM

zzz36, if you want to do this ^ let me know as I have a meter...just have to find it....
Old 06-13-2004, 04:30 PM

how were you driving when you got pulled over? normally? a little sporty?

All this talk is making me nervous with my T1R. I'm not using the test pipe so there has to be louder systems out there. I just keep reading more and more stories of exhaust tickets.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:16 PM

You know, I'm not for anyone getting a ticket based on a subjective "test". No set db rating, no test meter, no ticket!

However where I do have a problem is the term "pig". You guys going to call me, or the "police" when your car is stolen. These guys have a job to do, and when FnFers are killing themselfs on the road, all sports cars are going to be looked at twice.

A little respect for our police will go a long way when we encounter these situations. If your so quick to call them "pigs", I'm sure your attitude came through while you were stopped.

I've had my personal encounters with the law, far more serious than traffic issues, respect and politeness works far better.

Try stapping a gun to your side and a target on your back! Few men have the stomach for it.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:19 PM

MOTU, don't misunderstand me for stating the term "pig" it was not my intention to call all cops this, but only to the one that has stopped me. The reason why I type that is the fact that I was singled out of a whole bunch of modified bikes that makes louder noises then my car. But the cop never stopped them and charged me instead. I was not rude to him, honestly I didn't even have a chance to speak to him to be rude. I admit I was really pissed off of this incident and the one before this where I am the one who called for help and I got screwed for it. I have edited my post since it have cause some friction b/t you and I even though I don't know you. But I respect your opinion and have edited my post.

To answer AP1 question, I wasn't driving agressively at all since I was at the redlight turning into commer gate. It is this 20 feet or so that I got charged. I mean I can see them doing the spot check clearly so I'm not stupid enough to rev like crazy in front of them.

So guys is there a deicbel level stated somewhere that is considered acceptable?
Old 06-14-2004, 08:16 AM

It doesn't work like that.

If your car is louder than it was when STOCK - you can be ticketed. This rule does not apply if your car is 20 years old or older.

There is no decibel limit in the HTA for motor vehicles. See Sec 75, ss1 and ss4.

"Hollywood" muffler means noticeably louder than stock according to the judge who threw out my exhaust ticket on a technicality.

MOTU, are you a cop? What did you mean by "...You guys going to call me, or the "police" when your ..."

ALSO as a side note - you all KNOW that if your car is louder than stock you can get a ticket (if you didn't know, now you do) - why do you get so upset when you do get nailed?
Old 06-14-2004, 09:35 AM

Good point Rahul, but then how do you address the aftermarket market? They would be selling illegal equipment and they should all be arrested for "trafficking" illegal merchandise....

Quick Reply: Improper Exhaust Ticket @commerce Gate