Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Importing from the US, procedure?

Old 01-08-2006, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One small I can't seem to find any info on. I'm thinking about driving the car across the border by getting a temporary licence in the US. Can anyone send me information on whether this is possible and any hitches with this idea? My insurance agent says they'll insure it as long as I have ownership.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 01-09-2006, 01:37 AM

Don't forget that the US Customs must have the Title for 72 hours before you get to the border. This gives them time to make sure it is clear.
http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/xp/cgov/exp...tor_vehicle.xml

Also check on the times of the US and Canadian customs offices. They are different. Detroit/Windsor is 24/7 but I believe the Canadian side in Niagara Falls is days only.

You get 10 or 15 days of free insurance coverage once you buy a car.

In most states you have to get plates for the county you live in so they get the taxes. When you buy a car you put a "Tag applied for" sign in the back and you are good for 10 days. Most dealers have this written on their advertising plate.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Chicos,Jan 8 2006, 11:30 AM
One small I can't seem to find any info on. I'm thinking about driving the car across the border by getting a temporary licence in the US. Can anyone send me information on whether this is possible and any hitches with this idea? My insurance agent says they'll insure it as long as I have ownership.

Thanks,
Adam
Adam,

Driving the car across the border shouldn't represent any problem - as long as you have everything pre-arranged ie insurance, temp plates and all paperwork needed for importing.

I brought my car across the border in a closed trailer due to the time of year and weather conditions. I was also a bit concerned about maintaining a constant RPM on a new engine.

The only hitch I ran into was a "Work to Rule" strike action that was in effect on the U.S. side when I went to clear customs. Other than waiting a bit - everything went fine.

Old 02-23-2006, 03:25 PM

Honda throws a curve ball.
I just checked into getting the Recall Letter from American Honda. This is required by the RIV to register the car in Ontario.
Honda Requirements:
US Title
US Address
US Insurance
US Drivers License.
I have still been using my Ontario Divers License so no letter. No letter no registration in ON.
I will be haeded to the license office next week to get my Alabama license. I'll need it for the next month.!

Main reason I can see is to keep the Canadian Dealer in business. With the big swing in exchange rate over the last couple of years if they lower the Canadian prices the '04's will be overpriced and everybody who has one will take a loss.

Right now there is about a $10K difference in the '06 S between US and CAN. (that factors in the exchange)
Old 03-02-2006, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by KMRJJ,Feb 23 2006, 04:25 PM
Honda throws a curve ball.
I just checked into getting the Recall Letter from American Honda. This is required by the RIV to register the car in Ontario.
Honda Requirements:
US Title
US Address
US Insurance
US Drivers License.
I have still been using my Ontario Divers License so no letter. No letter no registration in ON.
I will be haeded to the license office next week to get my Alabama license. I'll need it for the next month.!

Main reason I can see is to keep the Canadian Dealer in business. With the big swing in exchange rate over the last couple of years if they lower the Canadian prices the '04's will be overpriced and everybody who has one will take a loss.

Right now there is about a $10K difference in the '06 S between US and CAN. (that factors in the exchange)
If you are buying a new car from a Honda Dealer - simply ask your sales rep. to get the Recall Clearance Letter for you. Its part of what they do to make the sale. On a new car there should be no problem.

If you are buying a used car from a private sale instead of Dealer - it can be a lot more challenging.