Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

I saw the new Honda truck last night

Old 09-24-2004, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I saw the new Honda truck last night

I was in Alliston last night and driving past the plant, all of a sudden there it is in black with the spy tape on it, but it wasn't hard to figure out it was the pickup.

Looks like a Pilot kinda (no shit) with a bed...higher stance it seemed from the brief glance I got.

Not a big bed either.

Anyone understand why Honda is bringing a truck to market and what market they are trying to speak to?
Old 09-24-2004, 05:55 AM

They are targeting the "cool dad", and no I am not making this shit up.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:04 AM
Former Moderator

They are marketing to those that think they need a pickup, but aren't willing to buy a real one. They also don't care about carrying capacity or performance, and apparently looks either.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically an SUV with a box.

Anyone see the new Saturn commercial, makes you wanna

The couple buy a saturn coupe... then a stork shows up so they trade it in for an SUV.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:13 AM

i agree its ugly
Old 09-24-2004, 06:19 AM

is it a 6?
Old 09-24-2004, 06:21 AM

er hehe

Yeah I think it might be...

I see a lot of old guys driving those Ford Exploder things...which look really stupid. This looks less goofy in person but its still offset.

I dunno, if you need a truck buy a truck. I'd much rather a Subaru Baja or something like that if I'm gonna go in this direction.

If I was going to buy any truck right now, the Titan it would be. I like it more and more and more.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:24 AM

you need a truck buy a truck. WTF does the SSR exist again??
Old 09-24-2004, 06:35 AM

Trucks need a lot of torque down low. Does Honda even have such an engine?
Old 09-24-2004, 06:58 AM

When BMW came out with the X5 they went out of their way to be sure to call it an SAV, that's Sports Activity Vehicle. BMW did not want to be in the Sports Utility Vehicle group; although how could they have possible avoided it? The point here was the fact that they had taken the SUV vehicle, put a BMW spin on it. They wanted to be more about the Activity than the Utility, and if you have ever driven the X5 you know, it is a performance wagon that sits high and does not offer a lot of space; it really is a SAV.

Honda is introducing their new vehicle, the SUT. It is not a pickup, although it will be referred to as one, just like the X5 is not an SUV, it still gets called a SUV. This subtle nomenclature is what I believe to be the true insight into the new Honda truck. It is a Sport Utility Truck; it is not intended to be a real truck. It does not have monster torque because it is not designed to do big towing; it is a unit-body construction, not a ladder frame. It has 4-doors and a little truck bed because it is the newest twist on the SUV, 4-doors and an open bed that does not have height restrictions like an enclosed SUV. The other vehicles in this new class are the Ford SportTrac and the Subaru Baha.

Quick Reply: I saw the new Honda truck last night