Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

How much would I be paying?

Old 03-12-2014, 08:34 PM
Zay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much would I be paying?

Hey guys!

I'll be in the market for an s2000 in about a year. I'm looking for someone to tell me the minimum price I'd be able to get away with here in southern ontario for an s2k in good shape.

I won't be able to spend much more than 11-12k. Things like year, color, mileage don't really bother me. As long as the car is in good shape (no tears in soft top, handles well, still reliable, no-VERY few paint chips/dents, internals still in good shape, no rust etc) then it's all swell.

Is this possible for under ~12k? If yes, what year/mileage will I be looking at? If not, tell my what condition s2k $12k could buy me in a year in Ontario.

Sorry for any grammatical errors or anything of that sort, I'm extremely tired and it's past my bed time. I think you guys understand what I want

Thanks guys,
Zay
Old 03-12-2014, 10:13 PM

At this time of the year it might be hard to find one for a good price, too many dreamers out there thinking they can sell an Ap1 with a salvage title for $20000 lol
Old 03-12-2014, 10:57 PM
Spotter
Community Organizer

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

Well at that price range, You're looking at early year AP1s with 150k+ in my opinion. Soft top tears are something that we all deal with. It's an inevitable with this car so I wouldn't have that deter you.

From what I've seen over the past couple of years. Prices aren't falling. The only way price goes down is with higher mileage. That being said, you could potentially find a salvage / rebuilt title car which was branded because of theft. Should bring the price down a little.

Wait till the summer months this year and see what kinds of prices you spot on the market. I kept an excel file with all the prices for various years mileages and tried to get a good idea of what I should spend.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only S you will find in that price range with a clean title) is MY00, 01 silversyone with 140k+ like kryptonite said, and rebuilt titles.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:38 AM
Zay

Awesome, that's the kind of car that I already had in mind.

Are high mileage (150k+) ap1s still great, reliable cars? Are they still a good buy/great sports cars? How much more maintenance would I have to do on one than a lower mileage s. From what I hear 150k+ is not a problem at all in this car, thanks to it already bring pretty reliable. Is this correct? How many more kms could I expect to get out of it? It'll be stored in winter, too.

I'd like to stay away from rebuilt titles if possible, but depending on what shows up on a year and what type of rebuild it was I may be convinced.

Thanks for your help

Zay
Old 03-13-2014, 05:51 AM
Spotter
Community Organizer

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

150k+ is not an issue with any motor as long it's been taken care of prior to that.
I think set aside a decent budget to get the cars checked out, compression, full inspection etc.
Also don't forget you're going to be payin 10-12K + taxes + safety&etest + any additional check up/services

Other than that, use synthetic oils. I always like to do a complete fluid change throughout the car so I have a starting date for all my regular maintenance items.
You're going to be stuck doing oil changes, trans oil, diff oil, the occasional valve adjustment, coolant, brakes etc.

Here's a list of common problems by year
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/681...ons-1999-2009/
Old 03-13-2014, 06:16 AM

There are still fairly priced cars that appear once in awhile but are usually gone very fast. I missed out on a silverstone 01 with 120K for 11800 last year. It was gone from kijiji in a day.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:22 AM

For that price range, I think you will only be able to find a high mileage rebuilt/theft recovery vehicle. A Canada wide search on autotrader shows that the cheapest S currently listed is an 03 AP1 with 170,000kms for $12,500 with a rebuilt title. As previously mentioned, it doesn't look like pricing for these cars will be dropping. I would consider increasing the budget to around 15 grand for a good AP1.

For street use, even high mileage S2Ks are reliable like all Hondas. Maintenance is relatively cheap for a sports car but isn't Civic/Integra cheap. Like with any car, if you are planning on driving aggressively or tracking, reliability will be a concern with high mileage and poor maintenance.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:39 AM

Received 3,774 Likes on 2,661 Posts

If you could bump up your price point by another $2,000 I think you will have a much better chance of finding a better quality S2000, and if you plan to keep the vehicle for a long time you will be much better off that way. Reliability on these cars is all about how the previous owner maintained it, not all S2000's will be reliable for higher miles. Running these cars low on oil will often show up many miles down the road, much later than the event that started the damage.

I remember test-driving an Ap1 S2000 that was priced at $12,000 (probably would have sold for $10,000), when I was looking for my car. It was the worst running vehicle that I have ever driven in my entire life. My mother's minivan with 300k kms on it drove better than that POS.

Pricing in the US will be more in line with what you are looking to spend.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a guy in quebec selling a turboed one for $12k, but something must be wrong.

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-autos-camions...?sort=priceAsc

Quick Reply: How much would I be paying?