Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

hello all! new to the board.

Old 04-28-2004, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hello all! new to the board.

hello all! i'm looking to buy an s2000. just have a few questions for all you owners. i haven't driven 6 speed in a while and i noticed the clutch on the s2k to be really stiff. i drive an automatic accord, so l don't know if this is normal. l've look at 2 used s2ks. one (2001 model)had a really loose clutch, felt really soft. the other(2001 model) had a really stiff clutch. can someone please tell me what a normal s2k clutch is supposed to feel like? are burnt out clutches stiff or soft? your input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:06 PM

has to do with the clutch fluid i think...
Old 04-28-2004, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome.

I don't think you can feel if it's burnt from just pushing the clutch, although a softer clutch could mean more slack.

I don't find the S2k clutch to be "stiff" but it's not "soft" either, after driving my auto car all winter my calf was sore after driving the S for a few days, then I got use to it.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:10 PM

the clutch having more slack, is that good or bad?
Old 04-28-2004, 06:20 PM

I just picked up a 04 myself, had a Prelude before and the clutch to me feels similar to the Prelude and light overall. I don't think it's stiff at all.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome , first off, I would familiarize yourself significantly more with the 6spd gearbox. why ? a few of our members learned the hard way and it was quite an expensive "mis shift " endeavour. the s2000 is not an easy car to drive stick in as the throws are closer together. IMO, the clutch should not be stiff, if it is i'm inclined to go along with the fluid suggestion.

hope that helps.. but i'm sure the guru's on this board will give you something more mechanical
Old 04-28-2004, 06:42 PM

my main concern about picking up a used s2k is i don't want to pick one up with a abused clutch. how many km before changing a clutch? what do you look for or how can you tell if the clutch is worn?
Old 04-28-2004, 06:54 PM

it's hard to tell you how many km before changing a clutch... someone can abuse a clutch in 2 minutes even the car is new...
some experienced drivers can get a clutch working for them until 50, or 70, even 100 thousand km...
when you buy a used car it's really taking your luck on the clutch.. that's actually one of the things you should set aside and expect to change... since i know alot of ppl who knowing that they will be trading in the car next day... do abusive things to it... (e.g. teaching friends how to drive stick... doing clutch dump.. etc)

the clutch however, is the last thing i would worry about in a used car... because once you change it, the problem is gone... what you really need to check is the engine is healthly (no burning oil, no leak, making proper power) and the chasis is intact

oh.. btw, Welcome..
Old 04-28-2004, 07:11 PM

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

S2KSimon says "the s2000 is not an easy car to drive stick in as the throws are closer together."
With all respect to Simon, I would say I love the close throws and the "snick snick" feel of the shifts. The gating is very precise and the centering action lets you easily feel which side of 3-4 you are in.

I used to drive a 4 speed and found myself pulling the S2K shifter into the bottom corner in a turn. For a 4 speed, second gear would be about right but in the S2K, second gear is sometimes too low a gear for the same corners. That took a little bit of re-learning how to use two more gears.

About the clutch, I find it a little hard, in that I usually shift into neutral at traffic lights rather than holding the clutch down. I don't think I would like it feeling any softer though.

Bobby
Old 04-28-2004, 07:11 PM

Welcome...is the clutch slipping? (give it gas, car revs but the car does not go accordinly)?

Quick Reply: hello all! new to the board.