Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Hanson Track Day at DDT Mosport

Old 04-14-2006, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanson Track Day at DDT Mosport

Good to see so many S2000s and drivers at the Hanson Driving Day today. While the rain may have dampened the spirits of some, we had a dry track for the last 2 sessions and overall the day was a success. Good to meet Cory, Ron, and see Rob, Dave and Nimesh again (Nimesh or someone left an S2000 hub piece in my box). I missed some people for sure.

Unfortunately, just as I was trying to find an instructor to go through the last session of the day as a ride along, I heard a huge bang. A beginner kid with a souped up Toyota Supra TT hit the wall just a 100 ft from where I was standing. His car was in pretty rough shape, both airbags deployed, but thankfully nobody was seriously injured. The instructor looked pretty frazzled. I was definitely feeling for the kid as a crash could happen to anyone at a track day and who knows how long he took to pay for this car. This is the first crash I've witnessed at a track day (this is my 5th). The kid got on the phone to someone and said,"I was kicking some serious ass on the track today, but I banged up my car a little."

maybe he was just frazzled. Or maybe he wasn't listening that track driving is not a race.........
Old 04-14-2006, 06:41 PM

OMG!!!!! you've got to be kidding me!!! The white Supra!!!!

Actually, I feel sorry for the guy. Rob & I talked to him about the car over by the skid pad. I don't think he had the car long. He asked Dave to take some pics of him on the skidpad and then I saw him taking some pics of his "glowing" brakes later (I'm sure a few of us have been there)

He was a young guy and prolly spend his hard-earned money on an awsome car. He was also smart enough to go to the school to learn.

It's a shame, I hope the damage is repairable without putting him in the poor-house.

BTW Adam, nice meeting you too
Cory
Old 04-14-2006, 06:51 PM

Ah crap. That's Joel.

He was having such a fun day too.

Which wall?
Old 04-14-2006, 07:11 PM

Just goes to show you that many of us, who thought that the DDT was a riskless way to start the season, were completely wrong.

Ive never heard of an off resulting in damage on that track.

That really is a shame. Sounds like that phone call was wacked though. Kicking ass? The only ass kicking I saw today was Peter in the Neon.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by BioBanker,Apr 14 2006, 09:51 PM
Ah crap. That's Joel.

He was having such a fun day too.

Which wall?
Pit wall, it was far down after the corner too. Yeah, there aren't many walls to hit.

Front end was crunched quite considerably. I yelled for a fire extinguisher, because air bags deploying looks like smoke.

Old 04-14-2006, 10:26 PM

Sh!t ! Joel smashed his Supra? He's a long standing member from TPC.. and we were joking with him that he should take it easy because we thought he was going to the big track.. Damn

Oh and btw, he's not a "kid that spent his hard earned money" He's almost 25 I think, and he's doing pretty well after his MBA at Ivey.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:44 AM

That was horrible. Joel seems like a nice guy. He also hurted his hand a bit during the incident. I could have taken a picture of the wreck but my phone just went out juice after a long conversation with a client.

That Supra was one of the most glorious car there today, of course besides the yellow nsx.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:41 AM

How much track time did you get? Did Peter conduct on-track exercises?
Old 04-15-2006, 04:55 AM

I'm sorry to hear that. What happened Adam? Did he just miss the turn and go head first into the pitwall after turn 12?

He seemed like a nice guy. Shame to ding up such a nice car.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:22 AM

Hey Chicos, are you doing the BMW Club school at Mosport next wknd?