Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Free HP in the summer

Old 07-08-2010, 09:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Free HP in the summer

Had some free time today and was surprised by the crazy heat soak my car had yesterday so decided to do a free modification.

Basically there is a coolant line that runs through your throttle body heating it up (and the intake air) so that in the winter the throttle body does not freeze. Since I dont drive my car in the winter, I obviously dont need it. I have a Skunk2 TB which eliminates this but am waiting for a few more parts before a retune. Anyways enough with that on to the DIY!

I have a few extra hoses and things in my bay so disregard those

First grab 2 pairs of vice grips so that coolant doesnt spray everywhere. You want to place one vice grip on the hose as you see it here.

The other pair of vice grips will go on the hose coming from the nipple closest to the head which you can see in this pic. ( My hose is different because I have removed the factory metal hose but they both lead to the same place)

This hose closest to the head leads to the nipple on the bottom of the TB as seen here

The other hose to be removed/bypassed is seen in this picture. (These are the inlet/outlet to by bypassed)

Here is the finished result of the TB bypass

Its really simple and takes about 10-15 minutes to do. Enjoy

If you have any other free HP tips feel free to post them in here!
Old 07-08-2010, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good one, my car gets mad heat soak. Although it could be from the PWJDM intake.
Do you happen to know if it's basically the same for DBW?
Old 07-08-2010, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhh i see what youve done here! Thats a cool idea, thanks.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by SpidArman,Jul 8 2010, 02:19 PM
Good one, my car gets mad heat soak. Although it could be from the PWJDM intake.
Do you happen to know if it's basically the same for DBW?
The password intake should reduce heat soak if anything....

I am not sure about the DBW version although I would assume it is the same, just look to see if you have the hose leading in and out of the bottom of your throttle body like in my pictures and you will know right away.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:00 AM

I'll check when I get home tonight, since there is no lapping anymore.

Ya on lapping days or even just driving around in this heat for an hour or so, the intake gets so hot I can't leave my hand on it for more then 2 seconds.
I've been meaning to take my flashpro out to the track and see what my air intake temp is.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by SpidArman,Jul 9 2010, 08:00 AM
I'll check when I get home tonight, since there is no lapping anymore.

Ya on lapping days or even just driving around in this heat for an hour or so, the intake gets so hot I can't leave my hand on it for more then 2 seconds.
I've been meaning to take my flashpro out to the track and see what my air intake temp is.
Yeah thats just the nature of the design though...I know I cant even touch my charge piping leading up to the intake manifold after driving around it nearly burns my hand so I think its inevitable no matter what intake you have, but if your at least pulling cold air thats a start. Im sure a vented hood or doing that "JDM" hood tilt would help alot as retarted as tht looks...
Old 07-09-2010, 08:15 AM

I'm thinking about doing the three vents on the side thing, over top of the exhaust manifold. I think the header and the rad are where most of the heat is coming from.
I want to wrap the header, but am paranoid about it cracking.
I have a few other ideas about getting the heat out of the bay, and keeping it from even hitting the intake.
But it makes me a bit happier hearing that your charge piping is hot as well, maybe it's not as bad as I am thinking it is.