Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

FR drive in Winter??

Old 01-03-2003, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FR drive in Winter??

How the hell do some of you drive the S2000 in the winter?
I was playing around with my shit box the other day and decided to pull a little handbrake while turning... and I spun 180 at 20km/h. I had no snow tires with 30% tread left on tires. Felt like rallying for that 4 secs!

Who drove their car out today with 20cm's of snow? Just wondering who that brave soul is.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:04 AM

It's the tires, you NEED snows.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:09 AM

i am going to drive out my S today~
i've snow tires on~
just need to drive really slow and careful~

but it is sure fun, making turns w/ handbrake on some parking lot or clear road at night~
i would love to learn driving rally someday~
Old 01-03-2003, 11:13 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove past not one but TWO stuck 4wd suv's in my rsx. Gotta love snow tires. Although I was plowing alot of it hehehe.
Old 01-03-2003, 11:22 AM

I took one look at my street this morning, and opted for the streetcar instead of my LM-22 equipped S.

The other day in a lightly snow covered parking lot I checked out what hitting the gas mid turn going 20ish km/h did. It wasnt pretty. I spun about 720 degrees before I blinked.

Not pretty if your on the road. Nothing but smiles if your in a *lightly snow covered parking lot* thats EMPTY.

So far, in my couple months of experience, the S is extremely manageable during Toronto winters. Excepting for the messiest of days.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:34 PM

I've still got the stockers on. I don't drive it when the roads are covered, but when they're cleared, no problems. Just use some caution.

P.S. I nearly spun the Explorer in a parking lot screwing around and that is full time AWD with big knobby truck tires, so don't think that you can't get into trouble with AWD.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by comets
How the hell do some of you drive the S2000 in the winter?
Good snow tires, no sudden inputs of any kind, skilled modulation of clutch and throttle, pay attention to what the car is doing, be ready to instantly react by letting off lightly on the throttle, correct intantaneously for any fish-tailing. Once you've got this experience down pat, go out and have fun. Spin your tires at will because you'll know subconsciously and instantly what you need to do to keep the car going in the direction desired. It's like learning to drive all over again. Until you learn and understand the dynamics involved, it is a scarey and daunting task. Woodson and I spoke of this today and we both agree that it is almost a bloody shame when the snow and mush melt off the streets. The fun factor is gone. However, what is a "fun factor" for us can be absolute "terror" for those who have not perfected their winter driving skills. Everything is relative. Be careful until you can have fun.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:37 PM

i just took my car out for a spin for some smokes and it drives perfectly fine.....
Old 01-04-2003, 05:28 AM

My S drive pretty good in snow with snow tires!!

-02 Sebring silver/black
-SPOON front tower bar
-SPOON X-brace
-SPOON rear lower bar
-SPOON air filter
-SPOON carbon air duct
-BUDDY CLUB racing spec coilover
-BUDDY CLUB spec III exhaust
-BUDDY CLUB racing spec I GT wing
-OEM front lip
-VOLK RACING 17"CE28N Bronze/ TOYO T1-S
Old 01-04-2003, 07:43 AM

Snow tires make a world of a difference.

My GTi equipped with 4 Pirelli winter ice and traction control is awesome in the snow...

My GTi equipped with 4 Michelin Pilot Sports is HORRIBLE in the snow... That tire, which some say is very similar to the S03's, is a high performance summer tire. Those and all-seasons are crap in the snow. I really want to try an S in the snow! It's really what I'm weighing right now... just looking around the streets lately kinda put a damper on my S2K purchasing plans.. still thinking about it.

Still, winter tires all the way.

Spec K

Quick Reply: FR drive in Winter??