Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Fortune Auto 500

Old 05-08-2015, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by subwayasian
A couple people I know switched from kw v3 to hipermax SPs, they like the coilover but at the same time it's 16kg front and rear. One of my friends who is one of the main mechanics at evasive and also competes in VTEC club (1.58) at Buttonwillow, switched from kw v3 to hipermax SP. They are good coilovers.

But the SP might be a little too stiff for me to daily and my amount of track use.

The GTs 8/7kg are too soft for me. So this is why I'm opting for the Fortunes.

Let me know and give me your impressions on the GT. I'm sure you will be happy with your purchase.

And yes, people only seem to know KW and ohlins on this forum and don't have personal, real life experiences with these coilovers.

70 percent of the people that have KWs don't even track their car, and don't even know how to tune compression and rebound.
I might change out the springs if I find they are too soft but, I'll run them for this season and see what impressions I get from this setup. Its still going to be stiffer then stock AP2 which I believe is 4.5 front and 4 rear. Couldn't find any hard numbers on this but it seems to be ballpark of what if read on multiple sources.

Thanks for the info
Old 05-09-2015, 08:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kryptonite
Originally Posted by 06Estukay' timestamp='1429336679' post='23582579
[quote name='hawkman199' timestamp='1428427421' post='23569766']

Then go to Scott Murfin for an alignment.

http://www.canalignment.com/index.html

And yer done...
I have to kindly disagree with this statement.
Let's not get into this again. This shit was squeezed damn dry.
[/quote]

I'm looking out for the safety of anyone reading this thread. He has a track record for not properly tightening bolts. It's common knowledge within the track community.

May I ask why you recommend him? What makes you speak so highly of him?
Old 05-09-2015, 08:43 PM
Spotter
Community Organizer

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Estukay
Originally Posted by kryptonite' timestamp='1429365183' post='23582736
[quote name='06Estukay' timestamp='1429336679' post='23582579']

And yer done...
[/quote]

I'm looking out for the safety of anyone reading this thread. He has a track record for not properly tightening bolts.

[/quote]

Well for one, the 4 or 5 times I've been to him, my car has felt great post alignment, granted he still doesn't print specs but will let you snap a picture of them should you want them for your records.

Beyond your bad experience, I'd like to see this track record you speak of.
If I remember right your accident had to do with the castle nut unscrewing itself at the track because the cotter pin wasn't in there. I don't really know what that bolt has to do with an alignment in the first place.

Feel free to correct me if I got that situation mixed up.

Either way,
Old 05-09-2015, 08:44 PM

Woah. S2ki drama.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:53 PM
Spotter
Community Organizer

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by subwayasian
Woah. S2ki drama.
You know it.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:43 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kryptonite
Originally Posted by 06Estukay' timestamp='1431231070' post='23607473
[quote name='kryptonite' timestamp='1429365183' post='23582736']
[quote name='06Estukay' timestamp='1429336679' post='23582579']

And yer done...
[/quote]

I'm looking out for the safety of anyone reading this thread. He has a track record for not properly tightening bolts.

[/quote]

Well for one, the 4 or 5 times I've been to him, my car has felt great post alignment, granted he still doesn't print specs but will let you snap a picture of them should you want them for your records.

Beyond your bad experience, I'd like to see this track record you speak of.
If I remember right your accident had to do with the castle nut unscrewing itself at the track because the cotter pin wasn't in there. I don't really know what that bolt has to do with an alignment in the first place.

Feel free to correct me if I got that situation mixed up.

Either way,
[/quote]

You've been misinformed, so allow me to clarify. I never had an accident because of his mistake. The rear toe arm almost dislodged at TMP when the castle nut was hanging on by 2-3 threads.

He installed my rear bumpsteer kit, which involved removing the castle nuts. He was the one that torqued it, and forgot to install the cotter pins. I even handed them to him and reminded him to install them. It was missing on one side. So either it was never installed, or, it was installed incorrectly. So first problem is, the nut was not torqued properly. Second problem was the safety mechanism to prevent the nut from backing off (cotter pin), was installed incorrectly or not installed at all.

Luckily, I caught it in time. He had done the work a week or two prior to this incident. I had Mosport GP booked the following Monday. Had that nut backed off during a lap there, my car would have been written off, and I could have been seriously injured.

There is another guy in our community that wrote off his s2000 last year due to a loose alignment bolt. Work was done by another mechanic.

Point is, a loose bolt is a loose bolt.

I have the right to give feedback about services paid for, just as much as anyone on this forum. You've had good luck with him, and you are happy with his work. That's great. Given you don't track your car and don't put it under the same stress as some of us do, I'm sure you'll be fine.

As for his track record, I don't see you hanging out in the same circles as me, so you'd never hear about it. It's not my place to discuss specifics on behalf of others.

If you're saying the horse is dead, then stop kicking it. You are referring people to him in a public forum. That is your right. I also have the right to disagree and counter your recommendations.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by 06Estukay
You've been misinformed, so allow me to clarify. I never had an accident because of his mistake. The rear toe arm almost dislodged at TMP when the castle nut was hanging on by 2-3 threads.

He installed my rear bumpsteer kit, which involved removing the castle nuts. He was the one that torqued it, and forgot to install the cotter pins. I even handed them to him and reminded him to install them. It was missing on one side. So either it was never installed, or, it was installed incorrectly. So first problem is, the nut was not torqued properly. Second problem was the safety mechanism to prevent the nut from backing off (cotter pin), was installed incorrectly or not installed at all.

Luckily, I caught it in time. He had done the work a week or two prior to this incident. I had Mosport GP booked the following Monday. Had that nut backed off during a lap there, my car would have been written off, and I could have been seriously injured.

There is another guy in our community that wrote off his s2000 last year due to a loose alignment bolt. Work was done by another mechanic.

I have the right to give feedback about services paid for, just as much as anyone on this forum. You've had good luck with him, and you are happy with his work. That's great. Given you don't track your car and don't put it under the same stress as some of us do, I'm sure you'll be fine.

As for his track record, I don't see you hanging out in the same circles as me, so you'd never hear about it. It's not my place to discuss specifics on behalf of others.

If you're saying the horse is dead, then stop kicking it. You are referring people to him in a public forum. That is your right. I also have the right to disagree and counter your recommendations.
Mistakes happen which is why I ALWAYS check someone else's work when safety is concerned (even when not).

Shame on both of you...
Old 05-11-2015, 01:25 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by C63AMG
Originally Posted by 06Estukay' timestamp='1431283383' post='23607878

Mistakes happen which is why I ALWAYS check someone else's work when safety is concerned (even when not).

Shame on both of you...
Old 05-11-2015, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The perks of being a mechanic is nobody touches my shit, the downside to it is the odd time you do f@#k something up you have nobody to blame but yourself lol, like Jason said shit does happen