Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Fortune Auto 500

Old 04-10-2015, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FluKy15
Originally Posted by Fresh AP2' timestamp='1428430824' post='23569872
@fluky15 all out performance isn't on the top of my list you are correct, but I don't want to buy a set of coilovers that are just good for lowering they have to have both. But at the same time I don't want to drop lots of money on a poor decision.
I personally believe that coilovers under $3000 won't improve the performance of our cars, with very few exceptions. In certain cases it will decrease the performance of our cars. That's just my thoughts anyhow .

($3000 CDN after taxes)
Alright thanks for your opinion.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by iDomN8U
Koni Yellow with Ground Control Sleeves, choose your own spring rates. around $1100 US

Bilstien PSS9 are great for street and OK for track on street tires, a little bit of body roll but I found them to work well.

KWv3 are at the top of your budget, you can get a almost new used set for around $1500 US
I looked at the Bilstien as well. Looks like a good product.

A used set of KWv3 eh. I have been browsing the for sale section daily for various componenets, not to sure how i feel about buying used suspension components. If they have very light use sure I would consider.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fresh AP2
Originally Posted by iDomN8U' timestamp='1428432236' post='23569919
Koni Yellow with Ground Control Sleeves, choose your own spring rates. around $1100 US

Bilstien PSS9 are great for street and OK for track on street tires, a little bit of body roll but I found them to work well.

KWv3 are at the top of your budget, you can get a almost new used set for around $1500 US

A used set of KWv3 eh. I have been browsing the for sale section daily for various componenets, not to sure how i feel about buying used suspension components. If they have very light use sure I would consider.
Kwv3 last a very long time. One of these shock builder blogs noted that he disassembled one with 100K (don't remember the exact amount, but alot of miles) and it still looked new inside.

They have a life time warranty for a reason.

I wouldn't be worried, but like I said, for around 1500 US you can find a very low mileage example.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by iDomN8U
Originally Posted by Fresh AP2' timestamp='1428661423' post='23573066
[quote name='iDomN8U' timestamp='1428432236' post='23569919']

Kwv3 last a very long time. One of these shock builder blogs noted that he disassembled one with 100K (don't remember the exact amount, but alot of miles) and it still looked new inside.

I wouldn't be worried, but like I said, for around 1500 US you can find a very low mileage example.
[/quote]

100k on a set of coils thats insane. I don't know if I'd cover that mileage until almost 15 years of ownership.
I'll keep my eyes open for a set then. Thanks for that info.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:36 AM
Spotter
Community Organizer

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Fresh AP2
Originally Posted by iDomN8U' timestamp='1428671881' post='23573179
[quote name='Fresh AP2' timestamp='1428661423' post='23573066']
[quote name='iDomN8U' timestamp='1428432236' post='23569919']

[/quote]

100k on a set of coils thats insane. I don't know if I'd cover that mileage until almost 15 years of ownership.
I'll keep my eyes open for a set then. Thanks for that info.
[/quote]

I can for sure say the V3's outperformed my monoflex purely because they eat the corners much much better, car felt way more grippy. The car was really tail happy with the monoflex.

End of the day it's a couple hundred more than what you want to spend. Save a little longer, it's worth it.

Also suspension rides like or softer than stock so no worrying about ride comfort
Old 04-13-2015, 09:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Koni's are good, especially for the price. They are rebuild-able and upgradable for double adjustments (maybe even triple).

Just wish ALL of these companies at this level would have some sort of shock dyno, I'd pay $$ to have a dyno of the shocks I have to make sure they are matched up but I digress.

They also have two perch settings, so you can drop the spring by 1" IIRC (not including the spring height). If you want a fully threaded body coilover, you need to buy a ground control kit.

This is what I would recommend for a budget/entry level coilover hands down.

I'm not saying Fortune are bad, but you don't have many quality choices in this budget range. (I read that someone was able to pull the same track times with CR shocks over KWv3, not sure how valid this is but just to let you in on how well the stock shock can perform).
Old 04-17-2015, 09:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FluKy15
Originally Posted by Fresh AP2' timestamp='1428430824' post='23569872
@fluky15 all out performance isn't on the top of my list you are correct, but I don't want to buy a set of coilovers that are just good for lowering they have to have both. But at the same time I don't want to drop lots of money on a poor decision.
I personally believe that coilovers under $3000 won't improve the performance of our cars, with very few exceptions. In certain cases it will decrease the performance of our cars. That's just my thoughts anyhow .

($3000 CDN after taxes)
As much as I dislike redheads, Mike is spot on.

I've driven on lots of setups, and ridden in different s2's with different dampers, both road and track... The only ones in that list worth considering is the KW's. Everything else is junk.

HSD - Junk
Fortune - Junk
BC Racing - Junk
BuddyClub - Junk
Megan - Mega Junk

If you can't afford something decent like KW, then stick to oem. Or get some lightly used KW V3's. Or new KW V1's. Or as someone else mentioned, Koni's with GC coil sleeves and eibach springs.

There's a reason why decent dampers like JRZ's, Moton's, etc cost well over $6k for a set. You get what you pay for.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkman199
Then go to Scott Murfin for an alignment.

http://www.canalignment.com/index.html

And yer done...
I have to kindly disagree with this statement. Scott is a hack and would never let him near my car again. His negligence almost killed me a couple years ago.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:53 AM
Spotter
Community Organizer

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Estukay
Originally Posted by hawkman199' timestamp='1428427421' post='23569766

Then go to Scott Murfin for an alignment.

http://www.canalignment.com/index.html

And yer done...
I have to kindly disagree with this statement.
Let's not get into this again. This shit was squeezed damn dry.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:47 PM

Received 3,774 Likes on 2,661 Posts

That web link has a lot of good info in it, despite it being a few years old. I see too much emphasis on adjustability levels of the shocks, outside of very experienced road racers the average street driver has a high chance of messing up the shock settings. Without a shock dyno you really don't know what you are getting out of the shock settings. I'm good with non-adjustable coilovers like KW V1's and Bilstein PSS as they are set by suspension engineers who have the experience and equipment that I don't have. Something like a 32-way adjustable suspension is just 31 ways for me to mess it up, I have a 1 in 32 chance of getting it right, lol.

Quick Reply: Fortune Auto 500