Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Fortune Auto 500

Old 04-07-2015, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fortune Auto 500

I have been doing allot of research on coilovers for my 06 AP2. I got the car last year and loved it. I found it odd that Honda would have this car sitting so high. Way too much wheel gap for my personal taste . Anyways thats just personal opinion. I have done allot of research on the Fortune Auto 500 series coilovers and they seem like a really good product. Yes they are built in the USA but their components are not machined in USA, nor are many other companies components so that not a real concern as far as i'm concerned. They aren't big in the Honda market, but allot of EVO and Nissan guys are running them with good results.

I wasn't able to find any info in the Southern Ontario forum about these coilovers. I did find lots of info in the suspension forum. Lots of positive reviews about them and of course some people that say they are pooh but then are comparing them to Ohlins of KW V3 which aren't even remotely in the same class. So i'm trying to see if anyone local is running these and what their setup is.

Also some background info in what I'm looking for in a system would be helpful:
$1000 to $1500 for the set (willing to spend $2000 max if its worth the money)
The set will be 90% road use 10% track use
Don't need dual adjustment or external reservoir
Having custom spring and damping is a large plus hence why Fortune looks so good
Rebuild-able is a big plus as well

I have been talking to Eric @ Teknotik about coilovers and he said allot of customers are running Megan coils street/track sets. Did some research on those seem to be hit and miss reviews about both sets, any locals welcome to chime in about the Megan's it would be greatly appreciated.

The HKS HyperMax or KW V1 would be my next choices but they are a little out of my price range and neither seem to have different spring or damping setups available, correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't done allot of research on these 2 sets.

I'm open to recommendations I just don't want a thread that every comment is "all those are pooh you need to get ASM or Ohlins or KW 3 or Moton" The car is mainly or street use and it is not used daily, just for fun and will see a bit of track use but not much since its a really low Km and a clean car.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions, I really appreciate it as long as its constructive and keep in mind the guidelines I posted above.

Brandon
Old 04-07-2015, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd think the HSDs would be a good fit for you as well, you can get them for a good price at JRP usually.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:04 AM

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

There is an excellent post somewhere on the site which compared the quality of the various shocks. The guy ran shock dynos and insisted that the seller needs to match dyno performance in order to extract the best from the coil overs. I got the sense that much of what's out there is questionable. Shock building can be a bit of an art.

ANYWAY, check out the suspension forum. https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/901...hl__shock+dyno

I run OEM AP1 for reference.

Good luck- make you money, spend your money.

darcy
Old 04-07-2015, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by darcyw
There is an excellent post somewhere on the site which compared the quality of the various shocks. The guy ran shock dynos and insisted that the seller needs to match dyno performance in order to extract the best from the coil overs. I got the sense that much of what's out there is questionable. Shock building can be a bit of an art.

ANYWAY, check out the suspension forum. https://www.s2ki.com/..._hl__shock+dyno

I run OEM AP1 for reference.

Good luck- make you money, spend your money.

darcy
I'd be curious to see that, sounds along the lines of what I posted in a thread not long ago

http://farnorthracin...s_secrets6.html

This is why I'll likely stick to OEM for a while, picking up OEM CR suspension as soon as I'm back from the dragon. Ride height can suffer for track performance for me... But I don't think the guy cares too much about that track performance or cornering performance as much as we do.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Go for the HSDs. Approx $1300 plus tax.

Installs quickly and easily.

Then go to Scott Murfin for an alignment.

http://www.canalignment.com/index.html

And yer done...
Old 04-07-2015, 10:20 AM

@hawkman199 never heard of HSD's I'll have to look them up.

@darcyw thats actually one of the threads I found out allot of info on the fortune auto 500s.

@fluky15 all out performance isn't on the top of my list you are correct, but I don't want to buy a set of coilovers that are just good for lowering they have to have both. But at the same time I don't want to drop lots of money on a poor decision.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Fresh AP2
@fluky15 all out performance isn't on the top of my list you are correct, but I don't want to buy a set of coilovers that are just good for lowering they have to have both. But at the same time I don't want to drop lots of money on a poor decision.
I personally believe that coilovers under $3000 won't improve the performance of our cars, with very few exceptions. In certain cases it will decrease the performance of our cars. That's just my thoughts anyhow .

($3000 CDN after taxes)
Old 04-07-2015, 10:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Koni Yellow with Ground Control Sleeves, choose your own spring rates. around $1100 US

Bilstien PSS9 are great for street and OK for track on street tires, a little bit of body roll but I found them to work well.

KWv3 are at the top of your budget, you can get a almost new used set for around $1500 US
Old 04-08-2015, 12:40 PM

I've got BC racing BR type coilovers and I like them so far.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by A. Dos Santos
I've got BC racing BR type coilovers and I like them so far.
I was Looking at the BC racing as well. Have a few friends running them on different cars and they all seem to like them. Read a bit of mixed reviews on them but overall they seemed all positive. Might be one to consider.

Quick Reply: Fortune Auto 500