Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Ecclestone gets OWNED

Old 08-13-2003, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecclestone gets OWNED

Ecclestone duped by Chretien imposter

TSN.ca Staff

8/12/2003

A pair of Montreal-area radio pranksters pulled a fast one on Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone on Monday.

Sebastien Trudel and Marc-Antoine Audette of CKOI radio had no trouble getting the F1 supremo on the phone while posing as Prime Minister Jean Chretien.

On the hot topic of Canada's Formula One race future, Ecclestone was non-commital but told the Chretien imposters he would be willing to discuss the matter in person at a future date.

"Let me tell you what our problem is," said Ecclestone. "The teams with the tobacco sponsors have to compete in so many races (with tobacco advertising) or else their sponsorship gets reduced."

"We had a beautiful relationship with you over the years. I was hoping... I was thinking that we were going to continue that (tobacco law) exemption. When I was informed that it stopped, then I was put in a very difficult position, obviously.

"We're not trying to blackmail you, believe you me. We have enough people that want races... we love Canada, we love Montreal, we love everything there - everybody's happy."

"Is there any way we can continue the exemption we had in the past?" asks Ecclestone.

The F1 boss goes on to reassure the fake PM that he is not looking to put him in any compromising position when it comes to this issue.

"That's why we didn't come to you first and say, if you don't do this, we'll do this," said Ecclestone.

When the pranksters mention that they will try to lobby Parliament to try and soften the laws, Ecclestone gleefully replies, "Super, super, super, super" before arranging for a followup phone call this Wednesday.

"Speak to your advisers and we'll see what we can put together which is good for you."

The pranksters - known as the Masked Avengers - also asked Ecclestone his thoughts on Canadian driver Jacques Villeneuve, who is suffering through another difficult season at British American Racing.

"I don't know whether the problem is Jacques or what it is," Ecclestone said. "I think he was grossly overpaid and was there just to take the money."

Ecclestone also suggested that, once he retires as Prime Minister, "Chretien" could take a communications position in North America to help him promote the sport of Formula One.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great, pull a prank on the guy who decides.. canada just shot themselves in the foot again..
Old 08-13-2003, 07:36 AM

Aaahahahahehehe
Now that is some funny stuff!
The idea that someone yanked Bernie's chain is just too cool, he is just all too full of himself.
Thanks Rob.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:56 AM

Ahaha I love how he slammed Jaques !

Brutal, I like that.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:26 AM

Yeah, I think it's damned funny. And Simon, this isn't going to swing the decision one way or the other, it's all about money.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by S2kRob
And Simon, this isn't going to swing the decision one way or the other, it's all about money.
You got that right!!!

Simon, I'm surprised at you, I thought with your knowledge of F1 you would have know Bernie is just a cold mother er who only cares about making another billion.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:21 AM

au contraire.. I made the statement with the intent that $$ was already assumed, and this was just more salt in the wound..
Old 08-13-2003, 12:25 PM

Au contraire.. You are giving Bernie to much credit, he has no feelings, pour all the salt you want into the wound, it will have no effect, however if you can come up with another country who will bring him lots of money, well then that's different...

So did you hear, the great news?
2004 Belgium GP at Spa-Francorchamps was reinstated a year after it was stripped of its F1 status.

See the end of this thread....
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=142034