Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

driving on 404 to 401/dvp

Old 07-06-2010, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driving on 404 to 401/dvp

So I’ve been driving on the 404 south -> 401/dvp consistently this summer and naturally with the nice weather, pay more attention to the crap going around me

I’ve always wondered about the traffic jam and shit that always goes down at the bottleneck right at the 404 to either the 401 / dvp. Anyways, so today, I saw some punk ass teenager in a damn green volvo exit at sheppard avenue then immediately head back on the highway for the 401/dvp, and took advantage of that lane that cuts and ends. What irked me, was this ahole was side by side with me before he got off at Sheppard, then was wayyy in front of me after he pulled his scum move. So I’m wondering, is this route actually much faster to avoid the bottleneck, or was this piece of shit just lucky?! I’m too lazy to try it out but if any scientific evidence or credible sources can enlighten me, I’d be greatly appreciated!!
Old 07-07-2010, 04:56 AM
Former Moderator

It's wayyyyy faster. You pass a lot of cars taking sheppard and staying left.

I do it too. It's a legit move IMO.

I mostly use the 400 though, and what's not cool is the guys that fly up the right to black creek then cut in to catch the 401. It ruins every morning for me. If they do it anywhere near me I make it my mission to force them into the divide so they have no choice but to take Black Creek.

****ers.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's legit. It's one of my secret tricks if I am in a hurry but I guess it's not a secret anymore

Technically, it's still part of the highway junction that provides a last entrance to dvp before the 401 ramps. So that teenager was just a savvy driver.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i do it too
Old 07-07-2010, 07:31 AM

thank you all for the insight and revelations, i feel enlightened now

i wish i drove a hummer so i could run some of these peons into the divide lol

alright time for me to be a schmuck too and do this route
Old 07-07-2010, 08:21 AM

SO its you Aholes that are always cutting the line. (I do it too). =]
Old 07-07-2010, 10:59 AM

i take the HOV w/ my wife and stay left and take that nice right hander underneath to 401w.

i love it when people driving alone gets busted by the cop waiting in that "tunnel" - that makes my day.

the 404/401 cluster**** is such a piss poor design - they even had a chance to fix it when they were building that HOV ramp but they did nothing to solve the problem of going from 404s to 401e -- so often you get people cutting 4-5 lanes over to the right so they can all clog up the one lane ramp to 401e - ricockulous
Old 07-07-2010, 11:45 AM

Wait.. what?

*tries to mentally picture this interchange*

so the guy exits the highway, but then comes back on

As long as this isn't the act of skipping ahead using an on-ramp merging lane, sounds legit to me.

Maybe more like turning into a gas station to avoid a light, but at least it's not inconvienencing the already laboured traffic.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Former Moderator

Dude? you're still around??

Well before sheppard the highway splits and there is a large median. Because Sheppard feeds back to the highway there you have 3 choices 401 E and W and DVP.

If you stay right like you're going for the 401 or Sheppard, you can stay in the left lane and it brings you to the top of the overpass right at the start of the DVP. You still have to squeeze one lane over..at the same time the people from the 401 West bound are coming on from the other side..

I think the moral of this whole thing though is traffic sucks balls, and it's only getting worse. If this was the US we'd have dead bodies littering the roads I guarantee it
Old 07-07-2010, 01:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://maps.google.ca/maps?rlz=1T4GGLJ_enC...=N&hl=en&tab=wl

Quick Reply: driving on 404 to 401/dvp