Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

DIY Brake Ducts: Parts List

Old 04-03-2003 | 06:52 AM

Cold brakes in general work more poorly than Hot brakes. Most braking compounds need to heat up a bit to get maximum effectiveness. Though most street pads are designed to work better at low temperatures and fall off the hotter they get. Though I have not found this to be the case with the S they seem to work quite well heated up and I can guarantee you, you do need to heat them up to get to their maximum efficency.

Basically what I'm saying is, if you're not overheating your brakes, there should be no need for brake ducts. If you're not racing your car, what do you need them for? Sure you could make them as cool as possible and I suppose in that case they'd last longer (though I don't know the exact science behind it but I would expect anything warm lasts longer than anything cold). I guess I would look at it as a set of R Compound tires. You can run them cold but they don't work all that well, you want to get heat into them to make them work, if you OVERHEAT them you can scallop them and therefore you need to adjust pressure accordingly. I guess I would expect brake compounds to work the same, and if they're never allowed to get any heat in them (i.e. street driving) then they're always going to perform like they're cold. Warm the rotor and pad up and you get some bonding occuring. Sure it might wear more on the pads than if they were cold.. I guess... but your brakes will work better if they're hot. Course if they're too hot, then this is when ducts make the most sense.

Just seems a little ricey to me.

BTW, be sure to poke some holes in the bottom of the ducting to let water filter through. Actually a little grate would be good too to keep rocks out...not sure how strong that hose is, but I would expect a few pebbles at 120+km/h would easily rip right through the material.
Old 04-03-2003 | 06:53 AM

Yeah if you go Ram Air (which has obvious advantages)... you MUST MUST MUST poke some holes in the bottom of the tubing to make sure no water/moisture gets fed to the filter. Water bad!
Old 04-03-2003 | 07:05 AM

hey everyone....IT'S TAYLOR!!
Old 04-03-2003 | 07:25 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by taylor
[B]Cold brakes in general work more poorly than Hot brakes. Most braking compounds need to heat up a bit to get maximum effectiveness. Though most street pads are designed to work better at low temperatures and fall off the hotter they get. Though I have not found this to be the case with the S they seem to work quite well heated up and I can guarantee you, you do need to heat them up to get to their maximum efficency.
Old 04-03-2003 | 08:07 AM

I'm recommending against UNECESSARY modifications.

I know why the Racing guys recommend it, but no one here "races" their S. Basically only Marco and myself compete with ours. Most don't even track it. And if they do, they track it once a year. And I can tell you the ducts are useless for AutoX. Heck I question their usability for a driving school, like I said, 40 minute sessions at Mosport and only near the end do the brakes finally seem to loose a bit of something and heck, that could just be the fluid. It wasn't until mid last year (after both Mosport schools) did I finally put in the Ford DOT 3 in, so I was always using Honda fluid.

I could recommend a bunch of things a number of people here have done, if they were going door-to-door racing with their car.

Basically with grassroots motorsports (Solo 1, Solo 2/AutoX) modding the car is basically retarded. The car is soooo amazing in stock form, that when you mod it you jump into a whole new class where your modifications make only slight performance improvements (if not reductions) meanwhile the other cars have made substantial improvements.

For the street (i.e. 99% of the people here) it's pointless, and I bascially feel rice is any mod that serves no purpose other than for looks or the gradual destruction of world class engineering.

Sorry I just don't get it. I can sorta understand wanting to make ones car look neater, to stand out from the rest. And Honda did put in basically useless (faux) vents anyhow. But anything "performance" wise, typically has an adverse effect for street use than and advatageous effect and it just boggles my mind and sometimes I just feel the need to be the sound of reason. The mod is unecessary for most everyone here on the board.

Come track the car, compete with it. The S could do okay in the old ASS/2 class in Solo 1 on the DDT with some suspension adjustments as the rear does get fairly light when zooming downhill and catching some surface changes, but once again, I'm talking about the track, not the 401, and even then, the modified RX-7's would eat the S for lunch in ASS/2.

Maybe if my insurance wasn't so expensive with young guys thinking they know everything about cars and doing stupid crap with them, making them more unsafe, or causing this society of chest beating (mine is better than yours bullshit), I wouldn't care. Ultimately I'd just like to see S2000 drivers justify the performance mods by actually driving at the limits of the car.
Old 04-03-2003 | 08:08 AM

And that conducts my sermon for the day...

Bah. I just need to give up, no one cares or listens anyhoo.
Old 04-03-2003 | 08:13 AM

Originally posted by taylor
Bah. I just need to give up, no one cares or listens anyhoo.
there, there....it's ok....

and, we do care....you're our son....you mean the world to us.....ok???
Old 04-03-2003 | 08:17 AM

Shut It!
Old 04-03-2003 | 08:36 AM

Maybe some of us are world class engineers and actually know what we're doing?
Old 04-03-2003 | 08:40 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

I tend to agree.

I see no real need to mod this car for any performance reasons, if you want to for shits and giggles then cool, no one but you has to care.

Being one of the ones who tracks when I can and would love to get out to some autox, I really don't see any need to do any brake alterations or ducts. I haven't felt any brake fade period..and stopping my fat ass at high speed is no small feat!

Yayyy brakes!

Quick Reply: DIY Brake Ducts: Parts List