Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

The division in the group(s)

Old 10-14-2003, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The division in the group(s)

Well here we are again folks.

Today we had a misunderstanding that has been brought to a head, lets deal with it.

I made a comment in the Moose thread about the Ricers or FNF'rs as I usually call them didn't show up. This was brought up as we had heard there would potentially be a group of "these" folks trying to meet up with us, totally unassociated with the folks already in this group.

Decepticon didn't understand the comment and decided I was speaking to him and his ilk. I truly wasn't, I'm not sorry for his misunderstanding either but whatever.

Here's my take on the situation. I'm going to be brutally honest and if you like it fine, if you don't fine. This isn't a fight but seeing as the majority of the group has contacted me at some point to discuss this very fact i'm going to lay it out as plain as I can and hopefully everyone can understand it.

We seem to have two factions in the collective "group"

One is the folks who like to modify the car for looks and prestige.

The other are driving enthusiasts, who value the performance and safety aspects of driving over the general mods. Yes we do mod our cars as well but not for the same reasons.

As it stands, the Modification folks have tended to (and from eye witness account) not be the safest drivers around, made bad bad choices and put people at great risk.

Speaking for the driving enthusiasts in the group, we bascially have no need or use for the other group. We don't have the same ideals and we choose to do our driving in a safe and organized fashion. We do track events, autox, wash and wax and even the day at Speedstar. This is what we do. We don't wish to be associated with dangerous street racing, burnouts etc.

If you take offence to FNF'r or Ricer, then think about it. If its a bad stereotype...again think about it. Don't jump on someones nuts if they didn't call you out directly.

Maybe there is some validity to it.

I can see this is an open can of worms, so let it be said that I did say what I said with earlier consultation with group members.

Also, if you don't like what I have to say then feel free to run for CO, if you want to run for it I'll gladly put it on the block today and abide by the wishes of the people who vote. Its as simple as that.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:40 PM

To keep things mature and to avoid further disputes, I will actually send you a PM in regards to this thread.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:46 PM

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Dogman

Very well said !
Old 10-14-2003, 12:49 PM

What if you have modifications on your car from both groups? Does my body kit make me a ricer/fnf?! mg:
Old 10-14-2003, 12:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

decepticon, i applaude you for wanting to keep it civil, but you need to voice your concerns HERE.

this issue really does need to be settled once and for all.....
Old 10-14-2003, 12:51 PM

Thats fine, but you wanted me to answer to your comments in the open, in the other thread.

I've read your PM and again you're making this personal. Its not all about you at. It never was until you made it about you.

Right now its the factions, lets deal with it.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:08 PM

Lets put it this way. I did not see this division between tuners and ricers as we shall openly put it. I looked at things from a different perspective. The older guys and the younger guys. I am by no means one of them, perhaps in some past life or crap like that, but now? NO.

But I would like to bring to question one thing? Who is this that you speak of in the "modification" group that isnt a safe driver?

I have no intentions on going for organizer, I could really careless about the position. I am here to learn to make tunning easier and to get ideas. Whether you or anyone else sees me as a tuner I could careless. I dont have to prove my knowledge to be categorized as a tuner and not a "ricer."
Old 10-14-2003, 01:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clearly there are two camps. I prefer the FnF title to the Ricer title.

I think it would be great if the two camps could live together on the forum, but I suspect the two camps can not live with each other out on the street.

Most of us mod our cars, but the motivation from one camp to the other is about 100% different. I will not waste bandwidth on what is better, to each their own. But remember, if it looks dumb to me, you can be sure I will say so...
Old 10-14-2003, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Decepticon
But I would like to bring to question one thing? Who is this that you speak of in the "modification" group that isnt a safe driver?
Obviously there are going to be some wild generalizations here, so are you ready for one?

The FnF are typically into the street racing thing. Street racing is not safe, it is not safe for those racing and it is clearly not safe for the passengers, other drivers and pedestrians. Stupidity behind the wheel does not create value, trust me, I know, my brother was killed by an ass behind the wheel. If it were not so long ago, I'm sure Ricer or FnF would have been an appropriate name for him.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:28 PM

Doug its true, to each their own. Until I get lumped into it.

How many among us have been stopped and labled a pain in the ass on the road because of something someone else has done?

Maggiemae who we all greatly respect for his abilites and insight has been stopped and harassed for driving an S2000. He of all people is not lumped into a problem classification. Is this his fault? Hell no. Its the fault of the individuals who have taken this car and given it a stigma it does not deserve.

I have PM after PM from members saying I saw so and so doing 120 in a krispy kreme parking lot, I saw this one guy doing 140 down my street at 3pm when kids are getting off the bus, I saw so and so street racing. I don't need to name names you obviously know who you are.

None of us need that crap around, we're adults regardless of age.

We have a lot of young guys who have entered the group, young RSX folks too.

Safety is not an age thing, it is a common sense thing..hmm maybe it is an age thing heh.

Regardless, we're safe, the FNF'rs are not and until that changes I can't agree to go on drives with them.

Quick Reply: The division in the group(s)