Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area
View Poll Results: Do you have more than one set of tires for street and track
I have only one set of tires for both track and street
45.45%
I have one set for street and one set for track time.
36.36%
I'm baller and have more than 2 sets for track time.
18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Debating tires for track and street

Old 10-05-2011, 08:00 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Debating tires for track and street

I figure I'd post this up with a poll.

I currently have a set of street tires that need a new set of fronts on my volk rims. I also have a set of AP1 rims with a set of bald RA1's on them that are used just for track days and maybe the dragon . So, initially was thinking of just replacing my street tires which are falken fk-452 with a more aggressive tire like star specs, rs3's, re11 but by the looks of it any of these tires will only get me one season. My 452's although not very grippy and definitely not track worthy get me 3 seasons of street driving (30k) Should I replace my bald front tires with another set of 452's and then come spring replace the track tires to something of either a max summer or competition tire?

FYI I change to my track brake pads and bleed my brakes before and after every track day so I already have the tires off and makes for an easy swap.
What are you guys/gals doing?

I'd figure I'd add in the baller status for those of you who own too many sets of tires.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say for the amount of tracking you do, you should get one set for street and one set for tracking. i also think you can get more than one season out of dedicated street tires - my dunlops now have lasted 3 seasons, and next spring i'll be switching to bridgestones RE11's (with the hope of lasting another 3+ seasons).

in-conclusion: get a good set of street tires - doesn't have to be super baller, but you/your car deserve a good tire. and keep running your bald RA-1's!
Old 10-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Agree. I tried to save a little money on my last set of tires, and kinda regretted it. Didnt even save that much (200) oh well live and learn. The star specs were awesome. This car definately deserves a great tire. From my experience the softer tread compound of the star spec will really help with grip in wet/cold weather.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by starchland
Agree. I tried to save a little money on my last set of tires, and kinda regretted it. Didnt even save that much (200) oh well live and learn. The star specs were awesome. This car definately deserves a great tire. From my experience the softer tread compound of the star spec will really help with grip in wet/cold weather.

ya starspec is pimp. I'm on them now.

Nick, ask yourself this though...
On, track do you like your tires to get greasy after 3laps?
then get the starspecs.

If you want to be able to run multiple laps and stay on track for longer stints, get new race tires
Old 10-06-2011, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Starspecs greasy after 3 laps? It took me more like 10-12. Still gets greasy though yea.

Anyhow, put the track rubber on the volks this time .
Old 10-07-2011, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by s2kobsession
Originally Posted by starchland' timestamp='1317835190' post='21042202

then get the starspecs.

If you want to be able to run multiple laps and stay on track for longer stints, get new race tires
Chris, ya after reading what you posted and hitting the track the other day I started to think about it more. I think I'm going to stick to running separate tires. The car felt great on the track and even with the RA1s the rears heat up a bit to make them greasy. Could be the extra power taking a toll on those old tires.

I'd rather have a less grippy tire on the street and put that towards track tires. I think it will prevent me from driving hard on the street (which I think it has) and last longer in the process. This would also push me to hit the track more often as I would need to get "it" out of my system
Old 10-07-2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by myflys2k
Originally Posted by s2kobsession' timestamp='1317938682' post='21046957
[quote name='starchland' timestamp='1317835190' post='21042202']

then get the starspecs.

Chris, ya after reading what you posted and hitting the track the other day I started to think about it more. I think I'm going to stick to running separate tires. The car felt great on the track and even with the RA1s the rears heat up a bit to make them greasy. Could be the extra power taking a toll on those old tires.

I'd rather have a less grippy tire on the street and put that towards track tires. I think it will prevent me from driving hard on the street (which I think it has) and last longer in the process. This would also push me to hit the track more often as I would need to get "it" out of my system
[/quote]

yes, the only issue is getting the race tires to the track. This is why I have such a hard time attending track days. If you have tire trailer though you are good to go.

yes Fluky, I f up my street tires after 3 hard laps. I dont' know why that is, but on my race tires I can go for 45min-1hour stints at a time without having issues. I feel bad for the car though so usually come in after 25-30min.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no idea how you greased up starspecs in 3 laps it took me atleast 10, sometimes 12.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:48 AM

Ya funny thing is I just sold my chase hitch but I'd hate to swap tires and pads at the track. I prefer getting the car ready the night before. I'm ok with driving to the track with comps and the wear that comes with it. It's the rain that I have issues with.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I broke the tie. I figured that it's a good starting point, if you really need more then street tires budget it out.

Quick Reply: Debating tires for track and street