Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Congrats

Old 04-22-2011, 03:52 AM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Congrats

http://killboy.blogspot.com/
Old 04-22-2011, 05:24 AM

Received 3,540 Likes on 2,543 Posts

more great pics.

The guy with the helmet seemed a bit odd ?

I'm surprised with all of the attention of the event 3 guys still ended up off-road. That would suck going through all that effort and then ending up in a ditch. Expensive lesson.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:49 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

luckily he didn't cross any lines in that pic
Old 04-22-2011, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is the police presence for this type of event? im curious as to how they moderate it.. do they let you push your car at all?
Old 04-22-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron19
what is the police presence for this type of event? im curious as to how they moderate it.. do they let you push your car at all?

It's not just that event, there is a Police presence in that area all the time. They generally don't bother the majority of people but they will definitely nail you if you give them a reason. Hundreds of auto and motorocycle groups do events there. AFAIK there is a 30 MPH speed limit in that area and the Police can enforce it at their will. I imagine it could be quite a cash cow for them if they enforced the speed limit strictly. I wonder what they would have thought seeing a guy wearing a helmet in his S2000, I'm pretty sure he intended on blowing the speed limit.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:03 AM

There is always people going off road every year. Last year it was the bikers, saw at least 3 guys go down, and I have a real bad image of the one guy lying on the side of the road. Not sure if he ever made it. Every time you get a big group together, there is always going to be one. I think the harlies are real bad for going down because they have limited clearance on the turns, its kind of ironic since this was originally a biker haven. I was following one guy who would scrape his foot rests on every turn, sparks galore. Lets not get started on how he was crossing the double yellow at every opportunity or the countless bikers that would fail to pull over when safe to do so.

There is the potential of the cops ticketing for profit, but you also want people to return as visitors bring in huge revenue for the area. I find its a happy medium. There are certain times when you know cops are going to be out and also certain areas which you know to look for, but most of the dragon is so tight pulling someone over could be hazardous. For the monster roll out saturday morning, the cops were aware of our meeting spot, slowly driving by and announcing their presence. Pushing your car is not a problem. The police force is small and we respect the road, and they respect that as long as nobody is doing anything stupid. I think the mentality of most is that people come to drive the road, push it a little, but dont go crazy trying to find out where the limit is.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ hmm. thanks for the info.. i was just wondering. having all those s2000's there, and making the trip from T.O would really suck to drive the dragon @ 30 mph. obviously not driving like an idiot.. but it would be nice knowing you can push the limit a little ya know?! i agree it has to be a happy medium.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron19
^ hmm. thanks for the info.. i was just wondering. having all those s2000's there, and making the trip from T.O would really suck to drive the dragon @ 30 mph. obviously not driving like an idiot.. but it would be nice knowing you can push the limit a little ya know?! i agree it has to be a happy medium.

Starchland may be better able to answer the question of how fast you can drive to enjoy the runs but still be within reason, I think most of the time you are driving about 30-50 mph tops given the short distance between all of the tight turns. Maybe averaging 40 mph ?. If you check out some of the vids it is accelerate then slow down before the turns and then accelerate again, up and down. I did a drive through the area a few years ago while on a road trip with our truck just for the hell of it while I was in the area, but I never did it in an s2000.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:01 PM

30 mph is fast enough for your first time figuring it out to have fun. It depends how much one wants to push it. Entirely up to you (and the person in front of you if they are going to pull off )

But remember the dragon is the main attraction in an area with many great different roads. The car seems to be built for this type of thing and I remember thinking constantly that every s2000 owner needs to come to the dragon with this car. Its a rite of passage. Not only that, but the social community is excellent as well.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There wasn't really a limit we went to as a group, it was more of a drive to where you feel comfortable.

Quick Reply: Congrats