Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Confused - Clutch

Old 01-20-2014, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Confused - Clutch

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone had some insights on my weird situation...

My s2k has been sitting since October 2013; before putting it into storage I flushed the clutch fluid so it would be all clean for this coming year. However, when I went into my car to see how shes doing I noticed the clutch pedal was somewhat sunk to about half way and when I went to press it down, it literally just sunk all the way without any pressure or force. I had to pump it like crazy to regain the stiffness and stayed stiff since then.

Would it be safe to assume air bubbles are the cause?

Thanks guys!!
Old 01-20-2014, 08:45 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

What's the level in the clutch fluid reservoir? When you flushed the clutch fluid did you just change the fluid in the reservoir? Have you cleaned the clutch slave cylinder and grease the clutch fork? Is it the stock clutch?
Old 01-20-2014, 08:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s2-king
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone had some insights on my weird situation...

My s2k has been sitting since October 2013; before putting it into storage I flushed the clutch fluid so it would be all clean for this coming year. However, when I went into my car to see how shes doing I noticed the clutch pedal was somewhat sunk to about half way and when I went to press it down, it literally just sunk all the way without any pressure or force. I had to pump it like crazy to regain the stiffness and stayed stiff since then.

Would it be safe to assume air bubbles are the cause?

Thanks guys!!
Yes, it can be a PITA to bleed right.

might as well re-grease the slave if it's a older S2k
Old 01-20-2014, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by myflys2k
What's the level in the clutch fluid reservoir? When you flushed the clutch fluid did you just change the fluid in the reservoir? Have you cleaned the clutch slave cylinder and grease the clutch fork? Is it the stock clutch?
Level in the reservoir is at max
changed the fluid in the reservoir
I dismounted the slave to clean and actually forgot to grease it shit lol
its an ACT clutch stage 1 with less than 10k on it
Old 01-20-2014, 11:14 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Maybe the slave rod is not catching the clutch fork properly when you reinstalled it.

If you didn't open the clutch line during the fluid swap then it shouldn't have any air in it, if you did open up the line it may have air bubbles in it.

It might be a faulty master cylinder, see if you have fluid dripping at the clutch rod location under-dash, also check around the slave cylinder to see if any fluid is leaking there onto the ground.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This doesn't sound like an issue with an ungreased slave cylinder. The clutch shouldn't drop to the floor with no force as you described. I just have a quick question. When you flushed the clutch fluid prior to storage, immediately after you filled the reservoir and put everything back together did you drive the car or press down on the clutch pedal? It's pretty normal after you change your clutch fluid that the pedal feels the way you described until after you pump it numerous times. If this is not the case, you may have a leak in your master cylinder. Most likely coming from inside the cabin where the clutch pedal connects to the master clutch cylinder. Check that for leaks, if there's fluid building up in that area then you should look into replacing the master clutch cylinder.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the reply everyone!!

I checked for leaks under the dash where the rod goes into the master and its dry as a bone thankfully. After I replaced the fluid I thought the same thing to pump and it went to being like normal, however, I had quite a few grinds and misshifts on the way home.

I'm really considering a reverse bleed at this point with "the v12 bleeder."
Old 01-20-2014, 01:50 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by s2-king

I checked for leaks under the dash where the rod goes into the master and its dry as a bone thankfully. After I replaced the fluid I thought the same thing to pump and it went to being like normal, however, I had quite a few grinds and misshifts on the way home.

The clutch line is the easiest of lines to bleed, it is almost impossible to do it wrong, no need to use any type of bleeder tools. Doing a gravity bleed is more than enough, just crack open the bleeder and let some fluid out while keeping the reservoir from going dry, then close up the bleeder.

The grinds seem to indicate a bad master cylinder or air in the system.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by s2-king' timestamp='1390253702' post='22974613

The clutch line is the easiest of lines to bleed, it is almost impossible to do it wrong, no need to use any type of bleeder tools. Doing a gravity bleed is more than enough, just crack open the bleeder and let some fluid out while keeping the reservoir from going dry, then close up the bleeder.

If you get air in the slave, it's difficult to purge, I believe Billman has special notes. This is what happened to me, the piston came apart when I was greasing... it was messy. But it's a real pain to bleed the air unless you follow Billman's advice and I believe you have to remove it from the transmission and raise it up as high as possbile, something along those lines.

Edit: Found the Billman post
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/895...eding-problem/
Old 01-24-2014, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iDomN8U
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1390258235' post='22974704
[quote name='s2-king' timestamp='1390253702' post='22974613']

If you get air in the slave, it's difficult to purge, I believe Billman has special notes. This is what happened to me, the piston came apart when I was greasing... it was messy. But it's a real pain to bleed the air unless you follow Billman's advice and I believe you have to remove it from the transmission and raise it up as high as possbile, something along those lines.

Edit: Found the Billman post
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/895...eding-problem/
[/quote]

You just never bleed the system properly .. Just do the steps mentioned above and you will be fine. They are sometimes very difficult to bleed.