Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

A cold reminder track driving can be dangerous

Old 06-03-2005, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SanMarinoCpe,Jun 3 2005, 08:17 AM
..unless you were there to see what happened I wouldn't place judgement..
Originally Posted by SanMarinoCpe,Jun 3 2005, 09:20 AM
What I don't see here is why anyone isn't complaining about the track and its safety. Why wasn't there a tire wall to absorb impact?
Speaking out of both sides of your mouth, eh?
Old 06-03-2005, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by PLYRS 3,Jun 3 2005, 11:03 AM
man, what a HORRIBLE sequence of events - what unfolded was unreal....anything that could've possibly gone wrong, did.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go the So Cal in Ferrari Chat. Both were members of that board. You can read a description of the accident with no names, then read the posts of board people trying to phone their friend to make sure it wasnt him, and no one answering.

The passengers Lambo had a history of overheating it seems. People remember the guy having car troubles at basically every different car event. The morning of this accident, it happened again. Thinking about trading in the overheating Lambo, he jumps in the CGT to see what its like.

The rest is history.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:31 AM

very saddening to see
Old 06-03-2005, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Jun 3 2005, 12:16 PM

Speaking out of both sides of your mouth, eh?
how is asking questions double talk?
Old 06-03-2005, 09:26 AM

^ You had a question mark in the sentence structure yes, but there was no question, you were implying a judgement based upon the fact that there was no tire wall or foam blocks... Thus after teling us not to judge, you and went and did it yourself.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Jun 3 2005, 01:26 PM
you were implying a judgement based upon the fact that there was no tire wall or foam blocks...
douglas, do you SEE any in the pics?

you can clearly see that there are no tires or foam against the walls in the pics....it doesn't warrant speculation as the answer is obvious.

your brain must not have made it into work with the rest of your body...
Old 06-03-2005, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Track events are VERY dangerous.
That's a very misleading statement IMO.

The problem with this incident (if what's being reported is accurate) is the Organizer or Pit Entry working f'kd up and f'kd up bad. They put a car out on the track at the wrong time. As to whether the car that came onto the track could have further avoided the incident, I don't know.

My point of speaking up is that this is exactly why I will avoid specific lapping events like the plague unless I'm comfortable with the club and their history.

Case and point, BattleEndless had a lapping evening at Shannonville pro track last weekend, there were people going out there with no helmets (and this is NOT a new thing, almost EVERY lapping evening after Solo 1, I will see some club with mostly asian guys with pimped out cars show up and run, 80% or more without helmets. Hell I saw one guy in his car, with a helmet on, his girlfriend in the passenger seat holding a camcorder.. NO HELMET.. WTF? What's the deal there? Is wearing a helmet (or not) an image thing. Like the $80K car isn't enough to make your macho statement? ing dipshits. To top it off, they NEVER have an ambulance on hand. Speeds at the end of the Fabi straight in some of these cars would be approaching 200km/h.

Now you can also lay blame on the track to some extent, but it's not like the drivers wouldn't be aware of these deficencies in the first place, before they got into their cars to participate. Any and all concrete should be protected on a roadcourse anywhere near a turn. No clue where this concrete was, but seeing as how it was an oval, it could have been anywhere.

As to the safety of track events, HADA ALWAYS has an Ambulance on hand, Solo 1, ALWAYS. We're even fortunate enough to have doctors on hand most of the time. We have experienced competitors marshalling the pit entry. These people are either experienced enough to monitor the track on their own, or get their directions from a clerk of the course. These are safe events. Now, that said, I have been to a Solo 1 event, 3 roll overs in one weekend. One was just a freak incident.. car caught a curb bad, dug in, flipped 360. No rollcage, mostly stock car, driver was fine and laughing (and drunk) later that evening. The next day, due to the track leaving hay bails out on the track a little further than they should have (which are only intended for motorcycle events) there were two rollovers, the drivers over cooked the corner, and what should have been a nice dent in the front fender resulted in the front left tires climbing up the hay bails and turned the cars over. Both drivers were checked out, no injuries.

In the end, drive within your limits and your comfort zone with a reputible club with clear rules (passing and saftey and you will be fine). But if you can't trust the organizers, that may all be moot when you're getting passed on the inside of a turn during a lapping day. No Insurance, No Helmets, No Ambulance, No Liability, Nothing. THAT.. is unsafe.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:40 AM

ahhh I see where this is going. Me asking why there wasnt a tire wall there was implying that there should of been one. Maybe its judgement but also there might be a reason for not having one. I havent seen the layout of the track they were using to make that call. I get a little sensitive for obvious reasons but like I said before this stuff can and will happen. Most people dont know how fast there going until they hit something.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by taylor,Jun 3 2005, 01:39 PM
That's a very misleading statement IMO..
Depends how you take it.

I.E. walking on the side of the road is VERY dangerous.

My point is, it needs to be taken seriously. That is all

Quick Reply: A cold reminder track driving can be dangerous