Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Clutch Replacement Time

Old 05-21-2009, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Replacement Time

It is time for me to replace the OEM clutch on my car.
I have looked into the Competition Stage II and have heard good things about it.
I'm looking for something that has similar pedal feel than OEM but can also hold some decent power for anything I may or may not do down the road.

Chime in please.

Personal experiences would be great.

Cheers
Old 05-21-2009, 07:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whatever you do make sure you bypass the clutch safety switch if you get a clutch that handles more hp/tq than the oem. There have been alot of bottom ends going lately....
Old 05-21-2009, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

consider the clutch kit from hardtopguy
Old 05-21-2009, 08:01 PM

Yea as O'malley said

1) If you're changing your clutch (FI) be prepared to beef up the rear end.

2) Unless you're going FI, the stock Clutch will hold up fine.

3) If you're FI, and take ur foot of the clutch between shifts the stock clutch will hold just fine.

4) Unless you drive the car hard regulary,(continuously hitting 7.5-9K) the stock clutch will hold fine.

I used to have an ACT 2600 and its damn heavy on the foot, but can hold 400hp AWD launches np. If you upgrade the clutch and you sit in traffic a lot you're going to have a beefy left leg in no time. - something else to consider.

I have read though that ACT uses a Honda disc, with their Pressure Plate. , supposedly Centerforce, and Todas break so stay away from them.

Hell dude, I'd just get a honda clutch.... even if you replace it often clutches are cheaper than differentials Just upgrade your flywheel to a lighter aftermarket one. (even though you already have a light AP1 Flywheel)
Old 05-22-2009, 06:03 AM

how many k's on car?
Old 05-22-2009, 09:56 AM

i'm at 174k, I'm sure it has been changed once before.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You guys know the cost of an OEM replacement (parts and labour) from Honda?
Old 05-22-2009, 12:16 PM

clutch disk retail is cheap, like $210+tax or something (retail)....dlr may give you a bit off that. labour....eihhh, not fun to do anything in the tranny for this car, i hear it takes awhile to do the clutch. even more time if you wanna do everything (flywheel/pplate, fluid). so depends who/where will give you the best hourly rate for the labour involved (and knows what they're doing)....not sure how many hrs it is...3+ maybe??

i'd just go OEM clutch if your car is stock, since doing it, maybe get a lightened flywheel (but not to light!!)...TODA is prob best for the money...11-12lbs, perfect for this car, a Spoon is like 8lbs and to light for an oem powered car...would get annoying fast.

else maybe consider a nice Exedy stage 1 kit for oem s2k, they make nice stuff.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:53 PM

I thought the only available S2000 Clutch that Exedy makes was the Hyper Single?

Do most guys on just replace the clutch disk?
Old 05-26-2009, 09:27 AM

I just recently replaced my clutch, went with Exedy, and bought from BrakeOptions in US, good deal if you don't mind the wait (usually around 2 weeks before it's delivered). Parts cost less than $500 - exchange rate, shipping and custom fees, still cheaper than buying it local - which the cheapest price I found was over $600.
If you buy US, make sure it comes with all parts, I heard just the OEM release bearing cost like $150, and some company will purposly take small parts away, so make sure you have in writing what they will ship you.
Make sure these are included in the kit:
1. Pressure plate
2. Clutch Disk
3. Release baring
4. Pilot baring

Labour is not cheap, shopped around and ended up paying $400 for the job.

I ended up had to buy a used flywheel and bolts, the previous owner didn't drive all that well, and left groves on flywheel, which cost me another $200.

Quick Reply: Clutch Replacement Time