Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Cell phone plans

Old 09-15-2003, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cell phone plans

Okay, cheap bastard that I am, I've finally relented and realised that I had better get a new cell phone.

What's the best service/value/plan/phone etc.

I used telus before and it was okay.

Thanks.

Rob
Old 09-15-2003, 11:14 AM

I use Fido. 200 anytime min free, 20c a min after that, comes to $37 monthly with call display and voice mailbox.

There is no contract with Fido (you need to have it for 4 months only and then you keep the phone and cancel the plan if you wish).

I like Fido, the signal is OK and it works in the US and Europe with low roaming charges. GSM sound quality is better than CDMA (Telus and Bell Mobility).

Just get a good phone (avoid SonyEricsson products). I just bought a Nokia 7210 (350+tax), it should be good. The phone I had before this (SE T200) was defective. Stay away from SE.

All phones are locked (via software, some PIN number) and can only work in the Fido network. You can unlock it though...

Also, you get no signal on the highways to Montreal and Ottawa but once you reach Quebec the signal is very strong (Fido is based in Montreal)...
Old 09-15-2003, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

simple..

cheapest plans imo - Fido & Rogers GSM

nicest handsets imo - Rogers

It also depends on what kind of handset you want ? Motorola, Nokia ? and if you want additional bells & whistles like Bluetooth, camera etc. etc..

If you are the user that it is imperative you NEVER miss calls , then cdma (telus/bell) may be the route to go.. less dropped calls, less saying "hello ? hello ? hello ? " on the phone..

And in you're are of T.O. Rob, there's practically a cell tower within every 1km so you'll fine with most.. except if you need signal in bsmt's and underground parking and condo units .. if that is the case then cdma w telus / bell is the route..

yup.. when I'm not buying an experimenting with Zaino, I'm toying with cell phones..

call me or PM with any questions you have..

s2ksimon
Old 09-15-2003, 11:33 AM

sorry for the double post.. the site must be having probs..
Old 09-15-2003, 12:14 PM
Banned

Originally posted by s2ksimon
sorry for the double post.. the site must be having probs..
So delete it then
Old 09-15-2003, 12:15 PM

tried.. would not allow for it
Old 09-15-2003, 12:17 PM
Banned

Must be the stupid mods we have around here messing with the system??
Old 09-15-2003, 12:32 PM

You can no longer delete posts on this website.

No back to the topic on hand.

So Simon what would you recommend? Dropped calls piss me off. And it needs to work in the country.

And what are the advantages of unlocking the phone? Can you just switch services and use the same phone in that case?
Old 09-15-2003, 12:44 PM

alright.. I'll look into for you further.. major township again ?

exactly rob - the only advantage of unlocking a phone is to have ONE handset be used with multiple GSM subscribers.. so basicallly all you are doing is inserting a SIM card from say fido(microcell) , rogers, cingular or at&t us.. etc. etc..

at the moment I'm pretty sure you'll be satisfied with Telus as when the phone is out of service area, telus will "piggie back on Bell Mobility Towers".. which is niiiice... I can't tell you how many times this has saved me..

Telus does however have limited handsets ? (i.e. if you are a Nokia die hard, then no Telus. )

I was forced to go to them due to my need for close to never missing calls..

I have 3 lines (Telus, Rogers GSM and tdma) on account of my constant search for never missing a call and what works best .. we could always take them up with you and see how they perform ?

I know my Rogers GSM was a poor performer in the Creemore area. I kept getting no network, and had to power cycle my phone..to reset itself.. I believe Fido is much better in that area. But we'll see for sure..

After all, it's just a drive north and on my way back, I'll have some chicken to deliver for Vince

-Simon
Old 09-15-2003, 01:43 PM

Best thing to do is to buy a nice phone in Asia (buy it online or something), and just join a plan here with Fido or Rogers. There are so many phones there right now which are not available here in Canada.

Dont' force yourself buying a shitty phone and a contract for 2 years.

Quick Reply: Cell phone plans